Purplemaniacs

Lost another one and another one

I know these things happen but at the moment they seem to happen quite regularly.

This morning Marshamallow was dead in the nest box, she was a Snowbelle, one of my four newest hybrids.

I say new when I checked I got them 2nd May 2010, so she was a good age for a hybrid, the other three are all well, one more Snowbelle and two that lay green/blue eggs. I also have my single surviving ex batt Agnes who we rescued 27th March 2011.

Marshmallow had a good life but it is always a shock to find a dead one, not a good start to the weekend.

OH is still asleep so I thought I woudl share with all of you as I know you will all understand :)

Chrissie

Edited by Guest

Thank you

I am rather shocked at how old they are, time has flown by. That would explain why only two of them regularly lay an egg.

I got them from Merrydale and all six hybrids I have had from them have lived a good long life. My Omlet girl GNR Henny Penny was lovely but had a very short life in comparison but in her short life she taught me lots about chicken keeping :D

Chrissie

I must admit with my ageing ladies I am nervous at opening the door in case one doesn't come out now. I remember the dread I had when my last big orpie didn't barge everyone out of the way to get her brekkies. So lots of hugs for you and here's hoping the others keep going strong for a long while yet.

We got some from Merrydale as well Chrissie. Gracie laid huge green eggs, but died suddenly one night at the age of 18 months. So I guess yours have done extremely well indeed, but it is still a big shock I know and I'm always sorry to hear of this happen.

Our Bluebelle never laid a decent egg. The shells were always thin and in the end we got fed up of cleaning out broken egg from the nest box. Daffodil was a dark brown egg layer who developed swollen feet, struggled to walk and so got bullied. We never managed to 'cure' her but just half a small aspirin once seemed to help her override the pain (vet suggestion). She went on to lay again and lived a very happy solitary life to 2 ½ until what looked like kidney failure.

So sorry. That was a lovely age and a fantastic life she had. Be glad she was yours :) I'm chuffed to have two left of my original chooks who will be 3 early next year as I was beginning to think I had a knack of killing them off from 18wks onwards the last two years here and there! Be proud of any hybrids you have over the age of 2-3. Not long for us but a lifetime to them, and if we can make their little lives as pleasant as a Chook could ask for then.....

This morning I have lost my little white silkie girl. Only two and half so no age for a min silkie. She was always smaller than the black one, she never seemed to thrive, was happy I think but always tiny.

It seems to be a rough patch at the moment. And my hybrids seem to be making a feather duvet, serious moulting in (cube purple)

Chrissie