Christian

What have you all been making...part two...

Well I have the busy bug at the moment. I've brought out a UFO/WIP from years ago when I went on a course. I finished the main part but never put borders on. So far I've added a small border and now working on the final one. It's a curved log cabin and I'm hoping I'll have enough fabric to complete the fiddly bits that I'm attempting to do! I like Judy Martin books and I've adapted a version that I hope will work. I had 4 extra cabin blocks so I'm incorporating those at the corners. Shame to waste them otherwise. Not sure if it will look odd so that may change.

Luvachicken - I've been using the thread you gave me to tack in the borders so I can get a rough idea what it looks like. So it is coming in useful and thank you. :D

Luvachicken - I've been using the thread you gave me to tack in the borders so I can get a rough idea what it looks like. So it is coming in useful and thank you. :D

So pleased all that thread has come in useful.

I imagine it will keep you going for years as there was so much of it :lol:

Speaking of thread - I bought 2 white cones and 2 beige neutral cones of thread in Lidl about 2months ago - I just thought at £1 a large cone that it would not be very great - It sews well and I am so delighted as thread nowadays is very very expensive - I like the variegated threads for top stitching etc but for plain seams this stuff is wonderful - is going to last years!! (of course I had to buy a stand to use the cones!!

of course I had to buy a stand to use the cones!!

:lol: Well you just have to don't you!!! Great that the thread is good. Happy sewing days! It's actually a cone that I'm using for the tacking - that will last years in it's own right! :lol:

Actually it's a good thing that I did tack the border in - made up the second side and something is wrong. Yup, I missed a couple of strips out! Can imagine the fun of seam ripping had I machined it instead!!! :shock: And now the fun begins while I have to tweak it all to fit again. Ahhh joy - still another learning curve (that I could do without). :roll:

My reinvented border is coming along fine. Although I have discovered I must put the old kitchen timer on because I can easily lose track of time. Half an hour yesterday turned into 3! I just get so engrossed but having to concentrate because the strips are so similar in length that even though I thought I'd organised them, I still pick up the wrong bits and have to rip out the seams. Once I get in the swing of it and have myself on factory setting then it's all fine. When I'm distracted by a knock on the door or a text or phone call it all goes a bit pear shaped for a short while. But at the same time the whole process is very therapeutic apart from the ripping seams and then I go Father Ted (or Father Jack more like) swearing! :lol:

So at the moment I've been making a mess. There are little bits of thread and teeny weeny bits of fabric that have missed the bin and catching on my clothes and dropping off when I brush against something. But I've almost completed the borders and just the corners to deal with. Can't use the old blocks - they look odd (plus don't fit) so I'm doing it slightly different and it should look better and fit easier.

When I've finished the top I'm going to have to tidy my room. Oh gosh! I'm being mum to myself! :oops:

It's just short of 80 x 80 inches - about 76 I think. Have ordered Quilters Dream wool wadding but had to order a queen size so I'll have a large strip left over. Not a problem - I can use the excess to practice machine quilting or stick it together - when the quilt shops have that magic tape back in stock - with other offcuts to make a bigger piece. Also ordered the backing too. Just the cheap version of plain cotton. The other side isn't going to be seen and can't justify the expense of fancy ones. I did that once with the quilt on our bed and it is never turned back. Pity as it is small floral with little tiny butterflies. My quilt teacher/shop owner saw me coming! I also purchased 1.5 metres of a paint splash fabric - this is to add to my daughter's fabric choices so that I now have some bright neutrals. I'm now ready to go with that one. Her hand sewn quilt is next up for completion.

Yes this one is going to be for me. I loved the fabrics - most of them I bought on my trips to the US. The neutrals were bought at the quilt shop where I took the course for this one. I did ask my friend the other day if she ever finished hers and she said "ooh yes, ages ago - I gave it away as a present!" Well I'm suitably ashamed for not finishing it sooner. :oops:

It's all done in blocks and strips, so not a huge one yet - although quilting it will be fun. So many seams close together and it will have to be machine quilted. Am looking forward to this challenge and I have an idea of doing feathers. Not done those, so I need the practice. I have a Janome Quiltmaster. Not too happy with some of it, but it has the larger throat area to stuff the quilt into. My old Janome would never have managed my son's quilt - I had a tough time getting it all in the new machine! Although it's fine for ordinary sewing. The posh Janome has a needle down position which is brilliant. Already out of date though - got it a long time ago and machines seem to be like computers now always improving! I wish I'd tried and tested other machines though and will bear that in mind next time.

This quilt is much smaller than the boy's quilt so will be much easier to manoeuvre I think!

Surprisingly no - no customs duty on the box. :dance: It did look like a large pizza box! :lol: They may catch me for the chicken quilt though. :anxious:

Wow, that looks amazing - but the size of those little blocks! It's making my eyes go :roll: just to look at it!

You must have immense patience, I don't think I could ever do something like that. It looks fabulous, and nice to have one to keep rather than give away.

I got caught customs with my xmas parcel from the states - it had my fabric in it - seems we are allowed £34 worth of presents before we pay any customs and I had to pay customs and a post office charge - £25 so not wanting to order it to come here - will collect any i buy on my trip in June!! bought a bigger suitcase with my xmas money!!

Yep, sometimes I am not so lucky. I always tell myself that with the exchange rate, price of the fabric and postage costs - it's still cheaper than buying fabric from home - and even if I have to pay customs on it - it's still less! And if I don't have that charge sometimes then I say thank you guys!

I think each block is about 9 inches, but I can't remember. The neutral strips are 1.5 inches and the dark fabrics are either 2 inches or a bit bigger (can't remember either) so that it gives the curved effect. We had to cut our fabrics into strips and put the darks and lights into separate bags. The idea then was to pick a random colour and if it was the same as the last it had to be put back in the bag and pick a different one out. That was quite fun really. I did something similar with my mum's pineapple quilt.

The blocks are really quite easy - this is the second quilt/patch that I learnt how to do so definitely good for beginners (because I was) - it was the border that was a bit challenging. I wouldn't have attempted it if I hadn't seen Judy Martin's log cabin book - and of course bought it!!! :lol:

For the next log cabin I'm going to attempt the stars in between, but that won't be for some time yet. Must finish what I have started. Says the person waiting for the chicken kit to arrive! :lol:

Hubby likes the batiks. He also wondered about the cost - although I did say it was 50% less than normal for some. He said 50% more than nothing though! :lol: Then he said ahh you wanted one lot but thought it would be lonely in the package and so added a few more items then! Oh he knows me soooo well (when it comes to fabrics that is) :lol:

So after a morning of just lovingly touching the items I must get my bottom in gear and nip off to the shops!!!! :oops:

The chicken kit and the Kansas City Troubles FQs have arrived - a pretty plastic bag this time. But it was delivered to somewhere in West Drayton before coming here so not sure how it works - but no customs on this either. So endeth my US orders!! And I say cheers guys and phew no extra charges!

Actually the Kansas fabric looks lovely. It all does. I'm in heaven!!! :lol: