mullethunter

Back into lay in December?

My girls have all just about finished regrowing their feathers after moulting, and yesterday Bernie (Pekin), squatted when I went to stroke her. She's also been more vocal the last few days and seemed to be agitated this morning like they often are pre-egg laying. Could she be coming back into lay on the week of the shortest day? Does this happen?

One of our ladies produced an egg this morning :D

First one in about a month - so it was quite a surprise, but a very pleasant one.

This is the first winter with our ladies that we've had them stop laying, it's their 3rd winter and apart from Rhapsody the crazy Columbine all of them have laid throughout last winter and the one before. I guess as they're a bit older now they have eased off a bit on the eggs which is fine but it was lovely to find one in the nest box this morning.

Trouble is, we're not sure if it was Harmony or Melody as they both lay the same colour eggs................... :?

because normally, at this time of year, they would be huddling in a corner somewhere sheltering from wind and rain.

most of mine are huddled up in a corner sheltering from wind and rain they didn't even want to get out a FR Monday when I was in the garden cutting fire wood normally they'd be bouncing of the run walls and doors trying to get out and the boys would be crowing like crazy just in case I'd forgotten they were there as soon as I'm out of the back door yes the sun was out and it wasn't windy for about an hour

I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but our 4 hens haven't moulted much at all and are still laying an egg each every day. We give them a mixed porridge of oats, layers pellets, garlic, cod liver oil and a little bit of limestone flour. They always have fresh cabbage hanging up and treats of mealworms every day (it's like a drug for them), and tinned sweet corn. I think our eggs must be the most expensive in the world, but we love our girls and their plentiful manure is great for the vegetable patch. :)