Chickabee

Pop hole debate

I have only ever closed mine once and this was when we had the hurricane winds a couple of years ago, I only did it then as I was worried the wind was so strong it might have lifted the classic and the chickens would be out in the open and a fox may have got them. I has been really cold here today and chooks have been out and about but checked temp under wings and they were toasty.

I close all my pop holes but I keep the windows vents open the window in hose one only got partly closed beginning of the month when the wind started blowing in from the west as it comes straight at it as it was blowing the rain in fully open but it's still open about 2-3 inch

Rain, wind, frost, sweltering heat: pop hole is closed every night

They are just too loud in the morning and my porch light gets their clock all wrong and they end up waking up at 4:30 in the middle of the winter...

The same for me, I would happily keep it open but they will be creating chaos at 5am or earlier in the summer I also have a rat problem at the moment so I don't want that little blighter happening into the coop. ( notice I use the singular...I'm in denial !)

I currently close the cube door as there are only 4 girls in there and they huddle in the corner. Once the newbies are in with them I will leave pop hole open when temperature is above freezing.

I close and lock the pop hole when high winds are forecast though just to be safe from foxy

Currently closing doors as some of my ex-commercial ginger ninja's are feeling the cold - they're getting to that nearly 3 age where they start dying off! They've reclaimed 'their' eglu from the big babies so everyone else is in the cube, but I don't want one household to monopolise the shared run hence big babies and posh girls also get shut in for the night.

I've never closed the pop hole at night regardless of the weather and the ladies all seem fine no matter what happens.

I did debate doing it on Bonfire Night last year because my neighbour had a fireworks party, but decided that it would be better left open because that is what they are used to and they were perfectly fine next morning.

Plus their house is in quite a sheltered spot so it would have to be really horrendous weather for rain or snow to get in.

I close the door on the Eglu every night, always have done. Sometimes in Summer there can be a right kerfuffle going on behind the door until it gets opened, but I've always wanted to keep them safe and a little quieter.

Now we are in the countryside and I only have two old banties left (lost Duck the copper black maran on Christmas Eve at the grand old age of 6 and 3/4), I keep them shut in at night for safety and warmth.