The Dogmother

Forum upgrade?

I agree.  Lots of things mingled into the Nestbox and I think a lot of people dropped out as a result.  The self sufficiency section had Sjp with a mine of information and not been on since it all changed.  Very sad as I've gone into the archives and found some tomatoes that were recommended by Sjp!  Quite sad really that a few people on there have gone.  A lot of youngsters have grown up and doing their own things now - Lewis still pops in though.  

I gather it was condensed so that it would be easier to monitor - but the only thing that did make sense to mingle was the US forum - best of both worlds and then we can all be jealous of the things they are allowed to do regarding chickens and we can't!  :lol:

Plus all the scrolling down to find a current post!  The pages are soooooo long!

I agree K - not a fan of the newer format either.

To be fair, the numbers were dwindling before the upgrade - the same with a lot of other forums too, so not just us. K will remember the old days when we'd all be on here until late at night, like a comfy cafe all chatting and having fun. Quite outrageous at times too! :oops:

I love the new layout (so much easier to add photos etc) but do miss the old categories - Self Sufficiency etc. We used to have much more of a community feel and had get togethers, but lots of forums have closed down as people move over to Facebook group and other platforms. Lots of old blogs have moved over to YouTube and Twitter in the same way.

Aye a lot of us youngsters have moved on but I occasionally see people pop up in the real world now, I was at an exotics conference a few weeks ago and met LTC!

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

I prefer the new layout too and the simplicity of adding photos and links now. It does not take a computer scientist anymore to add something.

We don't need a computer scientist, CT. We have you as our go to Forum IT, bless you!

Lewis, I speed read your post as 'lots of old bags have moved over to YouTube' :shock::$ This old bag is staying firmly with the Omlet Forum ;) Not to self; find reading glasses!

Edited by soapdragon
Dimwittedness
  • Like 1

I hate the new layout and have rarely been on here.   I have no chooks now and just sold my eglu to a lady not too far away.   I used to love coming on to see what people had made whether it be sewing, crochet, knitting o4 cooking.   It's too mixed up now for me and so long to scroll down but would still like to see all the home makes.   It used to be so much fun and we all learnt different things.

I prefer the new format in that I can now add photos ( thanks to Cats Tails!) but did like the way it was sectioned before.

I notice we continually have new joiners but few seem to post.  I wonder if one reason is that we ‘oldies’ seem too dominant?  Do we intimidate them?  I lurked for a long time I remember because everyone seemed so knowledgeable.  Newbies, please join in or let us know how to encourage you! 

Edited by Patricia W

19 hours ago, Charlottechicken said:

I remember the late night shenanigans, lots of chat and hilarity, sometimes the odd argument. Particularly remember young Martin posting a reply to every single thread, so his name appeared all down the forum 😂it must have taken him ages! 

That was hilarious.  I have a feeling young Lewis did something similar!  So funny.  

10 hours ago, Patricia W said:

I notice we continually have new joiners but few seem to post.  I wonder if one reason is that we ‘oldies’ seem too dominant?  Do we intimidate them?  I lurked for a long time I remember because everyone seemed so knowledgeable.  Newbies, please join in or let us know how to encourage you! 

I think that's always been the case Patricia; when I modded, we had an annual tidy up of unused memberships, and there was a surprising number which registered and then never posted. I think they might have just hovered in the background, but if their last log-in was more than 2 years previously, we used to take them off.

One thing that is really annoying is with the old forum the headline took you to the last post that you read.  Here it just takes you to the beginning of the whole thing.  Click the last page and you scroll down and down and down - get cuppa - scroll down down . . . ah!  Scroll back up and up and there we are.  Needs tweaking.  I also think having the separate pages of food etc was more attractive to newbies to have a look at and find oh so many goodies, people trying to lose weight (ahem look at sky and whistle) - this new way appears to have less widespread topics for new people.