patsylabrador

Lockdown

MH still salute you. Shopping these  days is hard blooming hard work mainly thanks to the prats  who bulk buy everything from loo roll to pasta. Actually managed to get a bag of bread flour last week. But I agree, my friend works in a big Tesco in Leicestershire and it's been hell . Another friend works in hospital canteen as a cook and has had 7 days isolation with symptoms. Last I heard was on the mend. No hopefully we are clapping for all these people not just the NHs but also the poor bus drivers several of which have died. The roads are so busy here cant believe these are essential journeys, we stay in why cant they. Makes me mad. Grrrr

Edited by Alis girls

19 minutes ago, Alis girls said:

I cant see it so many deaths today. I dont think they will be able to predict. 

I agree Ali - too many variables, and this is something that we have no experience of so there's no prior experience to draw on. They have to be so careful about the roll-back, otherwise we risk seeing it coming right back. I also  think that we will see Covid-19 again this coming winter. Hopefully, by then, there will be a strategy and vaccinations in place. Just my penno'worth.

I really hope that works DM. It's a very cheery thought. The roads are still very quiet here compared to normal and most cars/vans only have one occupant. It's hard to tell really, my three kids here and husband are all off out and it probably looks bad but they're all in jobs where they're required to keep going to work but they're also avoiding public transport. My husband usually gives lifts home to some of the Nepalese crew at the depot and our van became called the Kathmandu Express but he's had to stop doing that for everyone's sake. He would pick them up at certain points in the car park and he said that at times he felt like one of the shuttle buses at Heathrow! I expect that normal service will be resumed in a few weeks time. 😂 

We've also been slowly building up supplies so we  only need now to get fresh milk and veg regularly which generally we can get down the road. Last night we had a delivery 🚚 of veggies from one of the companies that normally deliver to restaurants etc and are trying to keep going. It is lovely stuff. Very different from the forced supermarket type goods.

My view for what it's worth is that although the numbers look bad, when you compare them to previous years at this time, they're not extraordinary and seem to be within the parameters of what the government have been predicting so far. Fingers crossed 🤞 

I'm seriously impressed with medical staff around the world and hope that their efforts aren't forgotten. Far more people have recovered than succumbed and that is thanks to them. 👏 ♥ 

I agree Jude, and I hope that this will bring about an appreciation for all support workers, be they front line NHS, forces, or supermarket workers; we wouldn't be in this relatively good position without them. I also hope that some folks will now take a long hard look at their lifestyle and realise that they can mange very well without some of the rubbish that they buy, and food which is wasted.

There will be a TV speech to France by E. Macron this evening at 20.00. He's expected to say that although the numbers are stabilised or falling, to avoid the risk of a 'second wave' the lockdown will be extended from 15th April to sometime? Hopefully he will enlighten us on the masks issue was well?

There is a big problem now with the French economy and apparently Air France is costing a fortune every day. Airbus is cutting back production in anticipation of a global fall in demand for planes. 25% of the working population are suffering with reduced income and it could be years before the Country recovers. Our local garden businesses are offering home deliveries of plants to avoid all their stock being wasted. People with second homes in France are not allowed in and those that are already here are being asked to go home. There are a large number of people living here illegally, having never declared residency and they have a very uncertain future. Seems some things are going to change forever.

Indeed, we watch with interest.  Monday may be when the Govt in UK announces what it is doing with lockdown as well, although they may wait till Thursday.  The media may have self-combusted by then, they all seem very keen that somebody tells us what will happen before the date when the Govt said it would formally review the situation.

7 hours ago, Beantree said:

There are a large number of people living here illegally, having never declared residency and they have a very uncertain future. Seems some things are going to change forever.

Sadly Beantree there are a lot of Brits here doing it and many would have come unstuck with Brexit as they have lived here for years under the radar and now want to apply for a residency card and the government are asking why they have never paid tax etc in France. I know the French gov has the ability to look into your social media, the law passed earlier this year. Another thing that gets my goat here are the number of expats with UK cars on UK plates and declared SORN therefore no MOT or insurance. 

I did read that M. Macron was taking the weekend to gather info from scientific advisers as to the best course of action to take. 

If totally honest I am enjoying the lockdown as I know many of my friends are, it is giving us all time to reflect on the world and our behaviour in it and toward it. We will come out the other side hopefully with greater respect for our surroundings and others.

• Like 1

OH works in NHS supplies...he had an e mail to his work 'phone late last night from an American company asking to buy face masks.

We are struggling to get online deliveries with tomorrow being our last (tho' I'm checking each hour!) and we have reached our limit of 80 items. The irony is that we are shopping for 3 lots of elderly self isolators who would probably qualify for their own slots anyway but simply couldn't manage the tech and still we can't get more than 80 items! Two of these neighbours have been lovely and happy with what comes but the the other is very demanding and keeps adding to the list...I have had to be horrible and tough and told them that I just can't add any more.

That said, I feel content.....we are together, healthy and have enough food to survive well. ES and I spent this afternoon clearing the patio (putting the compost from the 2 gro bags used for toms last year onto the garden) and generally clearing and preparing for all the veggies in pots. The patio now looks fab..............shame the house is a tip!

On 4/8/2020 at 5:42 PM, The Dogmother said:

Ahhh, here's the exit strategy

That’s surely just someone in the media speculating though. I’d like to think those would be the dates and I do think it is likely to be phased like that but 8d be very surprised if it all happens that soon.

I thought they'd have to wait until the curve starts to fall.  Not that I'd want to go anywhere anytime soon even if it is lifted.

I did read that they have found that if you had a BCG vaccine you are 6x less likely to get CV.  Well if that's true then that ugly little bubble scar that I had for years was worth it!  Then again I don't want to try and test it either!

I would sooner a longer lockdown than a shorter and then have numbers rising again. The roads are still busy. I am so fed up with stupid people not obeying rules. I have appreciated my home so much. At least we can do stuff in garden,  pity people in flats. 

• Like 1

Oh it's still driving me up the wall. I'm being very good and staying in I'm gardening and I have my Crosstrainer and treadmill and I'm still trying to hoola hoop and I'm starting to learn how to swing indian clubs. I do felting and learning Japanese but if I stop and start to think I feel like I'm going to explode. I have audible or podcasts on all the time to stop me thinking too much. It's made me think about prison sentences and house arrests and what those really mean and we've only been going three weeks. I miss London so much. On Sunday we're going to have a virtual trip to London, we haven't decided where yet, probably one of the museums. We're going to have coffee and cake and explore a couple of exhibits. 

Try not to over think things Jude; it is what it is and there's not a busting lot that we can do to change it, so just hunker down and go with the flow.

I really do understand... believe me; I have years of practice at over-thinking stuff... it shows that you care, but just help folks where you can, and keep you and yours safe.  Virtual hugs.