patsylabrador

Lockdown

I think we're all tackling those postponed jobs now - I reached a dead end with one as I was trying to set up an old stone urn that's been in the family for 150 years... got the base in place, but can't lift the top on as it's waaay too heavy. Still, there are plenty of other things to be getting on with.

I’m clearing space in the garden for a small vegetable plot.  I’ve been meaning to do it for ages but now is the time.  Just about to spread some well rotted (2yrs) compost over it.  Lots of rotted down aubiouse in the compost.  Then to clean out the chickens to top up the now well depleted compost heap.    Not done any of the jobs inside but there’s time.   Loads of it..

• Like 1

DD made a giant macaroni cheese and a Japanese curry soup and quite randomly some Yorkshire Puddings. One of my sons ordered a chemistry set so we've also been doing that and binge watching The Outsider. I got a nice walk in round the streets this morning and by chance met an elderly neighbour in her front garden. I'd been worried about her but didn't know where she lived. Apparently 'Frank' has been getting everything she needs so that's good. 

• Like 1

There's an elderly couple a couple of doors along - another neighbour and I have been fetching prescriptions and food for them - they are worried but fine. They have 2 daughters, one lives locally, but I don't often see her, the other lives in London. Today, I saw the local one walking down the side alley, so said hello... she was concerned about them; they had said that they were worried about food and stuff, but their cupboards and fridge are full. I explained that they are being very well looked after, but just a bit cabin fever-ish perhaps.

7 hours ago, Daphne said:

Yes, despite all the time in the world, it never seems to be the right time to actually start cleaning! 

I’m so glad it’s not just me!!!!! Friends keep saying things like ‘ooh my house has never been so clean’...I look around my house and think ‘It’s just still getting grubbier’ 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mullethunter said:

I’m so glad it’s not just me!!!!! Friends keep saying things like ‘ooh my house has never been so clean’...I look around my house and think ‘It’s just still getting grubbier’ 😂

🤣

I actually did mop my floor last weekend. Which I hardly ever do. I do sweep and vacuum, but never feel the urge to mop. But after the “paw incident” I kept finding blood everywhere...

Just been to the supermarket; a very surreal experience. Not many people and clearly none wanted to be there. It's quite an aged population here so most are in the high risk category. Couldn't use the Intermarché Drive that Ursula123 suggested because what we wanted wasn't on their list, but I kept 3 metres distance and applied plenty of hand gel.

Town is deserted. I only saw two people, one walking a dog and the other cutting a hedge. Didn't get stopped and checked because I kept to the back streets and avoided the main road.

So now I wait 2 weeks to see if I get sick and have to repeat the trip in a month. On the bright side no problem getting fuel for the garden equipment, so no jungle to deal with because stuff grows so fast here it rapidly overtakes you. Last year the big strimmer broke and the parts took 6 weeks to arrive. The resulting growth took 3 months to get under control.

I'm glad you are back hopefully safe and sound, Beantree.  Well done you on managing to shop for a whole month, I'm not sure how easy I would find that, we are going weekly, and that is bad enough.  

A bit of a scare, DM, our internet went off in the middle of the night a few days ago and I suddenly realised just how awful life would be, right now, without it.  I hope its a temporary thing for you.

We are planning to mop on Thursday (which shows you how often it happens, it has to be planned) as we are going shopping and the floor can dry.  We had to let the cat out today, he was driving us and himself insane, being shut up.  Its like a cross between a toddler that you can't plonk in front of Peppa Pig, and a teenager that thinks up naughty things to do.  In his case, at different times, he has upset his water bowls and soaked the floor, grabbed the toilet roll and shredded it, destroyed part of his cat bed and left the evidence strewn all over the place, and scratched and bitten us!  He has been out for 2 hours, got soaked through, come in, eaten and is now asleep on a chair!

• Haha 2

Two of our adopted ladies are fairly well organised for their food stuffs either family or on line. The other Lily is happy to accept help. We call them twice weekly which they seem to like for a chat. We've accepted to shop for another, daughter local but might be NHS worker. I was given a list of 8 to call and check in on at weekend. Sadly one had died last year, the others were ok, had a quick chat. Managed to get emer chiropody. I am trying to get Daily mail delivered to aunt in Midlands, I know theres afree delivery thing you can sign up for but non seem to go to her village. Been cutting out crosswords etc to send her. She wouldn't be happy with newspaper on line. Hope you are all well. 

Lovely pictures Catstails

We are all having to adapt and change the way we live during these difficult times. My most surreal moments so far were this morning when I had a physiotherapy appointment.......over the 'phone!

It consisted of half an hour of me lying on the bed with the 'phone glued to my ear whilst the physio was asking me if I could go through various movements, what hurt/what didn't and could I try X, Y and Z and tell her how it felt.  By 15 mins in it had turned into a spectator sport with running commentary from ES standing in the doorway relaying my contortions to OH and YS on the landing.

She then e mailed me more excercises and said she'd call me again on 23rd! Odd or what!

• Haha 1

That sounds pretty serious DM, I know the news and the PM are hammering home the message people shouldn't go out this weekend even though its going to be good weather, not travel at Easter.  Obviously I understand why,but it must be hard if you live in a flat and/or with children.  My mother drove her car yesterday for 20 minutes, without getting out, as she is worried about the battery, not having been out for several weeks now.  She was a bit worried about meeting a policeman, but it didn't happen, fortunately.

Yesterday the Govt here extended the state of emergency.  This morning we have had a car come round, for the 2nd time, with a loudhailer telling everyone to stay indoors and giving out the emergeny number if you suspect you have CV.  We are now no longer to leave our council area, which isn't a problem, unless we get fined for something by the police as the revenue office is in the next council along!

I have to admit to getting a bit teary yesterday. My elderly aunt 100 miles away in captivity is cheerful shes access to food etc and has good neighbours. Thankfully saw her before lockdown. Chatting the other day she said " hopefully we'll be together at Christmas" gulp😔

Work tough bombarded with info , doing welfare telephone checks on elderly mainly. It's difficult to reassure at this time as the media is full of it. 

Enjoying my volunteering,  my 3 ladies are a lively lot but getting bored so chat over doorstep when deliver shopping or on phone is lovely. We have a giggle. One lady Lily reminds me of my gran. She is so funny. 

Stay safe folks xx

Blockading the roads sounds really over the top!  I do think they are going about it the wrong way by that sort of action.  I think once they see younger people and children becoming ill, that will be the point when the "invincible" will suddenly realise they could be the next ones needing help.  The mentality of some drives me crazy!  Especially as we are doing what we can to stop the virus and they go round being idiots.  I only hope that one day when they decide to be mature that they feel ashamed.  Although pigs might fly too.  The only thing that really worries me next is that people start to riot and rebel against the lockdown.  Scary enough seeing how people fight in the supermarkets, but hooligans on the loose . . . not worried about me, but for my family.

All very quiet here.  We get the odd Navy helicopter or the odd plane, but it is very . . . wildlife friendly!  The sheep have gone to fields elsewhere - although ooooh something to watch - the tractor was in the sheep field putting down some grass seed we think.  There have been a few cows in the field behind us - the farmer called them yesterday and they dutifully mooched back to the dairy - except for one.  She had found a cosy spot out of the wind and was asleep.  The farmer's help (wife/daughter?) came down to fetch her and they walked virtually hand-in-hand back up, chatting to the cow all the way.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

We had a bonfire and the wind was kind and blew the smoke into No man's land.  That will provide some nice potash for the raspberries!