Leicester_H

Opinions please........ Surplus eggs

Hi

We are getting 6/7 sometimes 8 eggs a day - way more than the 2 of us can eat. We used to sell them to members of our walking group but can't now. Even freezing some, would have loads left - shame to waste them.

I WAS going to offer them FREE to neighbours on our street - put note through doors saying telephone first to arrange to pick some up - stay at 2m distance etc. etc., but now am wondering if

1. this is legal

2. if it's a good/safe idea ?

What do others think ?

H

2 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

So long as you caveat it

How ?

They would phone - agree time - I'd put in plastic bag of eggs (no boxes left) on outside door mat. Close door - watch collection through window. So *I* think safe BUT collectors would be making unnecessary outing (not far and VERY unlikely to be 'caught') - might not comply with the LETTER of the new Law - but does help others in time of shortage, so *I* think morally OK. Just wondered others thoughts and if I'd missed anything.

Thanks

I don't see any probs with this......you are not selling! We have had a number of posts on our village site with people leaving books, jigsaws, DVDs etc in a box outside their house and I did pick up a couple of DVDs yesterday (wiped with an anti bacs wipe!) It's a lovely idea to share.

I agree - we're finding people are delighted to have eggs - so I'm giving our surplus to our immediate neighbours and to staff at a local hospice (neighbour is hospice manager so she take them in to work with her for her staff).  We've set it up so people text/email me when they want eggs and then they leave their empty carton at the end of their garden path - I go round and refill cartons (having first washed my hands and having washed hands immediately before I collected eggs from nest boxes) and text them back and they then pick them up their refilled boxes. I can do it all on my way out for a walk and because I don't handle the egg boxes I don't have to carry anything other than eggs on my way out and I can pop my egg basket back in my own garden before I head off up the lane.  

Since I dont have chooks anymore - I buy from a someone I know who was a vet nurse and looks after her chooks - she sells them at a box outside her house in the country - I drove there yesterday quite rightly going to buy food! - I have not been out for almost 2 weeks before this as have an OH with COPD.and I have a huge stock of stuff always in.

I am sure it will be fine.

Edited to say it was only a mile to drive from home!

Edited by Blackrocksrock

Managed to give a few boxes away - most people have offered to pay ( I declined). 'Swapped' one box for a banana bread loaf!

People seem to appreciate it.

I only put notes through houses on my street but got call from lady on neighbouring street (friend had told her) - so agreed to give her box between 9-10. Come 12 o'clock, no sign. Somehow I knew she'd be 'trouble'. Phone call, she'd forgotten (OK can happen) - could she come straight round? Yes. Another phone call, can't find my house. Street has 21 houses - its a close and numbers simply go around. I have house number in 8 inch high letters on plaque on front of house (and smaller number on door) - doh !!!

• Like 1

Well done!  :clap:  All it needs is a bit of sharing to make people realise what they are missing.  Older neighbours down the road have been collecting eggs - they return the boxes and hang them on the gate and we pop more eggs out ready for the agreed time!  They weren't so keen on the duck eggs - to be honest I'd only had Mrs Braddock's whites before and then boiled them.  This time we are using them in all sorts and I have to admit the white is weird,  but it makes super cakes - so that and the odd fry up is fine.  I prefer chicken eggs in omelettes though.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, Leicester_H said:

Hi

We are getting 6/7 sometimes 8 eggs a day - way more than the 2 of us can eat. We used to sell them to members of our walking group but can't now. Even freezing some, would have loads left - shame to waste them.

I WAS going to offer them FREE to neighbours on our street - put note through doors saying telephone first to arrange to pick some up - stay at 2m distance etc. etc., but now am wondering if

1. this is legal

2. if it's a good/safe idea ?

What do others think ?

H

We just put a note through all our neighbour's doors saying that if they wanted fresh eggs, leave a note in our letterbox and we'd drop some off on their doorstep.

As far as I am aware, in a somewhat paradoxical irony, the new emergency powers laws don't make it a legal requirement for members of the public to remain 2m away from each other, they just give the police powers to break up any groups not obeying the rules. Provided you're not having any real contact with people from another household, I think you're fine.

A bit of a late reply, but it has always been the case that trips out to get food are seen as essential and are therefore not subject to restrictions. A trip next door to either deliver or pick up some eggs would be both entirely legal and completely appropriate assuming, of course, that current social distancing advice is observed.

8 hours ago, majorbloodnock said:

A bit of a late reply, but it has always been the case that trips out to get food are seen as essential and are therefore not subject to restrictions. A trip next door to either deliver or pick up some eggs would be both entirely legal and completely appropriate assuming, of course, that current social distancing advice is observed.

I agree - have been dropping off surplus veg on neighbour's doorsteps; I just send a text of what I have and it's a case of first come....

Edited by The Dogmother

Hi

Original rules said it was OK to take surplus food to other people (with regard to social distancing) - so near neighbours collecting eggs was (I believe) completely within the spirit of the rules.

I have given away over 300 eggs so far. Egg production has slowed a little - one ex-bat has stopped laying and one is laying VERY thin shelled eggs - sometimes break - so others are eating!!! ( I AM giving egg shell improver and Zolcal-D, so I don't think there is any more I can do - I don't need the eggs, so as long as they're happy and healthy, I'm happy).

People phone first - then put their box on a chair at my front door - ring bell - step back 2 m etc. etc - so pretty sure it's as safe as reasonably possible.

People seem overly grateful - have met people I have never met before - so some good has come out of a bad situation.

Stay safe everyone, H