Cinnamon

Super Glug & a clever hen

One of my big hens has decided that pecking the water from the nipples of the Super Glug is FAR too much like hard work,& has taken to flying up & almost getting inside it to drink :roll:

Naturally the others have seen Pansy do this & think its a splendid idea, so I now have all my hens drinking from the top of the Super Glug & making the water nice & muddy in the process :roll:

I am going to get some chicken wire & mould it around the top so they can't get in any more, but I wondered if anyone else has had this trouble?

I have built a perch that I placed in front of the superglugs so tat the hens who like using the nipples can continue to do so but the hens who prefer to have a good gulp of water can perch and dp their heads in as they wish.

I only had to lift one hen up and put her on the perch ... the others all followed suit and seem to like the arrangement, especially the two brahmas.

I've now lowered mine right down as they really don't like the nipples as much as a good guzzle, and in this cold weather it is being emptied more often because of the ice so it isn't getting particularly dirty. The main problem now is that they sometimes look like they're going to fall in as it's so deep :shock:

Maggie

Has anyone successfully fitted a super glug to an eglu at a height the chickens can actually drink from? :roll:

I tried it this morning before I had to set off to work, and even the two bantams have to crouch down to get under the glug! Rogue (the bluebelle) can't be bothered to stoop so low and stretches as high as possible to drink from the top.

I really like it too Helen,but I have swapped back to a normal Glug while its so cold as I can't be doing with all the defrosting of the nipples every morning :roll::lol:

I will put the SG back up when its a bit milder, & put some chicken wire over the top to stop the lazy mares from taking that shortcut!

The Bants have to have the SG all year round & especially when its freezing otherwise the Polands get their feathery hair dos all wet & they get icicles on them :roll::lol:

Mine have used the superglug with no problem, but I have noticed that they still like to drink the 'normal' way if they get the opportunity! Also, no frozen nipples so far - even when the top of the glug has been frozen, the nipples haven't :? I've found it brilliant so far :lol:

i have two superglugs and i love them (so do the hens) my old norfolk greys (the ones that were cockerels) used to drink from the top and get it very dirty. now the replacement norfolk greys do it as well. the others are happy to drink from the bottom. having said that i did have a very wet silkie this morning, i did wonder if she fell in the top. i mount it on a metal bar in my homemade run and its at a good height for all my girls. i have had it frozen on the top a few times but the nippes still worked.

i think it is much better than the small glug.

My (cube purple) came with its SG and while the girls used it the amount of water drunk was never anywhere near what, according to everything I'd read, they should be drinking. They also would eagerly drink water from any other source when available, like the hosepipe when I was splattering the poos on the lawn.

I've now replaced the SG with a fountain which uses 1.5litre soft drink bottles fixed on the outside. Which makes for easy changing of water, none of that lifting a heavy SG full of water in or out of the run. They did require a slight mod because the tray part is fractionally smaller than the run mesh and tended to tilt backwards slightly. That fixed the girls are driinking a lot more water and keeping it supplied fresh is a lot easier.

This is the one I bought http://www.solwayfeeders.com/productsdetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=6213 £1.99 each. SG now redundant in the garage.

When I was getting mine to drink out of the bunny bottle, I grabbed Sadie, who is the most biddable chook of my lot, and held her head so that her beak touched the nipple and she could see that water came out, I did that a couple of times and she got the hang of it - the others soon followed her example.

This is how i taught my girls to use the Superglug too. They'll never use it with the old glugs in the run at the same time. Grab a couple and literally shove them under it. They soon get the idea.

Anyone know whether ducks could drink from a super glug thing? - they dirty theres and the chooks drinking water every day (til there is just mud at the bottom :shock: ) cos they like to stick their whole heads in - now i know they have to clean their eyes (they have a pond for that) but i worry they aren't all having access to clean drinking water - despite me changing both glugs every day...

Anyone any thoughts?