Old Speckled Hen

Snow

What a shame Sarah :? Rosie's school is still open, one of the few which is. I fully expect her to ring to say that they are being sent home early though. I don't suppose that she will have swiming coaching this afternoon either.

0.1deg here now, fien snow falling and 1" when i gto up, that has now increased to another inch and it's falling thick and fast. The fluffies at work won't be in because they don't like to drive in dodgy weather. I suspect that we may get sent home early... after two days on a course, i could do with getting some work done :roll:

Falling thick and fast here and lots more on the ground as Claret says

I have just phoned work asking what they want me to do regards getting in (its 80 miles) - just waiting for a call back, hopefully I can work from home, dont fancy the local roads much and its a hill either end of our village to get in and out

Last night we had almost clear roads, slushy pavements and falling temperatures. This morning I woke to 2 inches of snow, still falling :shock:

I booked today off work to go looking round the shops (thought it was the Boots 75% off sale, but it isn't :doh: ) so my team leader will be cursing me as out of her three other staff , two have primary age children and will be off as all the schools are shut round here. I won't be going out in this, I don't have to go out and it seems foolish to make an unnecessary journey, so will spend the day indoors.

Never mind, there's housework to be done :roll:

I booked today off work to go looking round the shops (thought it was the Boots 75% off sale, but it isn't :doh: ) so my team leader will be cursing me as out of her three other staff , two have primary age children and will be off as all the schools are shut round here. I won't be going out in this, I don't have to go out and it seems foolish to make an unnecessary journey, so will spend the day indoors.

Even if you made the decision to go to work, I bet you wouldn't get any thanks for it, so staying home in the warm seems a fine idea :wink:

Sha x

Never mind, there's housework to be done

Wash your typing fingers with soap!! Housework? Rather play in the snow!

Er mum has just said "now we know what it feels like to be on a desert island" :eh:

Er - no. That would be sunshine and palm trees and sand and a hammock while holding a fishing line for the odd fish that you might want to cook for tea later on. Not thinking about tsunamis or typhoons, hurricanes etc.

Even if you made the decision to go to work, I bet you wouldn't get any thanks for it, so staying home in the warm seems a fine idea :wink:

Sha x

I am a civil servant and unfortunately, as the first snowfall was forecast, we were reminded of our obligations to get into work. We are supposed to attempt to get to our nearest DWP office by walking for up to an hour in adverse weather conditions, if there is no public transport or other means available :shock: . Thankfully, following Government cutbacks in the DWP there are fewer offices and under normal conditions at a speed of 4mph I would not get to an office, mine is just over 4 miles away :dance:

The only no shows at work are those parents who have had to stay home with children who are off school so will lose either annual leave or if they have no leave left, they will lose a days pay(parents are expected to set aside leave for such reasons and also should have emergency childcare in place too).

That's tough Claire, but it's reality in some areas of business, isn't it?

I'm not so bothered when those who live further away or more rurally can't get in in the snow - I know that they will have really tried and will work from home. It's the ones who live less than a mile away, won't drive in the snow and refuse to walk in, who really make me mad.

Trouble is that we've been spoilt over recent years with warm winters - where I've gone out in the garden with just a t-shirt and no jumper required. Perhaps Mother Nature is adjusting the weather to how it should be. On a positive side - hopefully it will kill off any undesireable insects that seem to have hitchhiked here from warmer climates.

That's tough Claire, but it's reality in some areas of business, isn't it?

Absolutely Clare, and I am willing to accept the rules to have a job :D

I'm not so bothered when those who live further away or more rurally can't get in in the snow - I know that they will have really tried and will work from home. It's the ones who live less than a mile away, won't drive in the snow and refuse to walk in, who really make me mad.

Thankfully, we don't have any really rural locations round here, but in this unusually bad weather I have sympathy for anyone who is rural, like most of you Omleteers appear to be. We are very lucky (and sometimes lazy) in cities.