Old Speckled Hen

Snow

When I was a child we lived in a woods at the top of a huge hill, going into Henley.

My dad sledged a mile into town down the hill to get supplies, dragging it back home with him.

Our electricity went off for a week,& we lived on beans & toast cooked on the open fire!

We all camped out around the living room fire at night time- it was,for is kids,hugely exciting.

My school was shut for a week,but it was right out in the country lanes,which were covered by drifts, so inaccessible.

The main road outside the office is just wet, so perhaps a gritter has been down, although I've not seen, nor heard it. My road is still compacted snow, great if you want to ski, but not good for driving.

The snow is finer here now, but still coming down fast and furious.

I don't remember schools being closed due to weather when I was studying. My first school was just over the road from our house and we went in even when the snow came up over our wellies, the teachers used to walk in. My secondary school was a mile walk away; just used to get my wellies on and trudge, it was still open and we were expected to make an effort.

Rosie has walked the mile in to school today, but one of the friends she walks with called this morning to say that she wouldn't be in as it was snowing. :? She'll have an absence to explain then.....

Morning All! :D

Couldn't believe I made it back from Edinburgh :D:D They closed one of the runways just after we landed and flights are being cancelled left, right and centre - including my Hamburg flight that I was supposed to do and spend the evening there. Am spending it at home now :D The best night stop ever :wink::wink:

One more day at work tomorrow, then off for 4 days and I am not planning on going in. The lane before we get to the main road, is a nightmare now as they have stopped gritting. I am not risking it again.

Hope all are well and warm?

I am well & warm Christian,but have just had a phone call from Hubby, who I thought had gone to work in town,fitting a bathroom.

But no, he has driven his van to Southall to look at a new van,which he has then bought,so he is now driving to a friends house to dump his old van so that he can drive BACK to Southall ,pick up new van & drive it home.

I have married a total muppet!

Men eh :roll:

Sorry to hear that your daughter's exam was postponed today, my ED is doing GCSE modules this week and next and it is a constant worry.

My YD's school is closed. The other 2 schools that my older childre go to are both open, but they have stayed at home. When we had to make our minds up this morning it was snowing heavily and one of the schools was announced as closed on local radio, they later said when people complained that we must have misheard, well there were 3 of us all listening in the same room and we heard it loud and clear :x

The coaches have been slithering around the icy roads and into the bus stops this week without the falling snow which has left us with another inch or more this morning. It has just about stopped here now.

My ED has a GCSE Biology module tomorrow so she will be going tomorrow

I'm stranded in the north. I came up to mum and dad's up in t'hills above Huddersfield on Saturday as it was dad's 80th birthday, had planned to go back Tuesday, but ended up going out with my friend to choose a wedding dress for her, as I'm her witness at her wedding in March (and may be singing at it, yikes!) - I'd planned to head home today, but the ice is awful up here and apparently it's terrible back at home, plus snowing at home, so I can't set off today. It's looking like tomorrow or Friday before I can head home. It's awful, I feel like a caged animal. I adore my parents but I so want to head home to see Mr O and my kitties and chickies! Fortunately, I went out yesterday and did some shopping for mum so we have what we need in. She relies on me to go out in my Landy so she doesn't have to get the car out.

I'm hoping for a thaw!! :wink:

The Bag Lady of Basingstoke has marched over to a load of lads chucking piles of snow onto the road and said that they'd better clear it up because we spent ages trying to clear it the other day. There was a token huge dollop chucked down and then they went into the back garden (not as if his garden isn't big enough - and his dad didn't bother to help either, so no holds barred here). I am so Victor Meldrew - or stir crazy - or just crazy - oh well. :twisted: Erin is highly delighted that all 4 boys ran off when I went out there.

We've had fine snow since 7am this mornings, it's producing a covering but nothing of inconvenience. Mind you, i was going to go to Leicester today on the bus but didn't fancy the idea of standing at the bus stop getting cold and wet so i went back to bed instead!!

Our cat is now at the front window, looking at the snow with a most unhappy look on his face. He wants to go out but hates getting cold, wet paws. The chickens are much the same, i think everyone's just so over it now :roll:

I read somewhere that we'll get a thaw at the weekend, followed by more cold weather next week :shock: Let's hope i read that wrong :pray:

Just heard that our waste collection has been suspended for the third time.

Which means that it will now be next Wednesday,as they don't do an extra round to collect from those who they couldn't get to last time :roll:

I already have 2 wheelies,one large box & 3 sacks of recycling.......

Still snowing gently here, has not stopped all day and has added another almost 2 inches to the generous 2 inches I woke up to.

I've just spent 2 hours outside in it, clearing the snow from the WIR roof, which is corrugated plastic on some wooden cross pieces, which was bending wildly under the weight of the remnants of last week's snow on top of this latest lot. I had covered the outside run with plastic sheeting too, so this was also frozen and weighted down. Chickens are much happier now, they can see daylight :D

I have some pics, so will upload them :D