Old Speckled Hen

Snow

Still reads just below zero on the outside thermo - but I think it feels quite warm. As Jlo says half an inch or thereabouts last night - thankfully not the huge amount being warned about by the forecasters. Very wet outside and quite drippy - I would say warmer than yesterday. There is a thick cloud blanket over us and no icy wind.

GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR I used my car for the first time in almost a week this morning to take youngest to nursery (5 miles away). I'm considering leaving her there :lol: I live on the top of a hill which is one of the reasons I didn't even attempt to drive last week. But this morning, after much digging on the driveway and clearing the beast of snow, I managed to get it down the hill and out onto the main road. A bit hairy in town, A420 was fine but the village where the nursery is was a nightmare. It's never seen grit at all. It was like an ice rink. But worse was to come when I attempted to get back up my hill :roll: I did at one point think of abandoning the car. Two nice gentlemen and a lady offered guidance on how best to get my car back up and after about 15 minutes of wheel spinning, sliding, near misses, pushing and shoving I'm now home. Oh I can't wait until lunch time when she finishes nursery. If I do get home again it'll be the last time I try to drive again until the snow has gone!

I am making a steak and kidney pudding for tea, I consider it to be my duty to provide weather appropriate food :lol::drool:

Yummy - haven't had one of those for years. My mum used to make a lovely one. I'm making curried parsnip soup at the moment :D nice and warming.

We had another covering of snow last night and it's been falling all morning here. Thankfully it seems to be thawing and sticking at about the same rate so the volume of snow on the ground doesn't seem to have increased (or decreased for that matter :( ).

The hens' run is getting quite unpleasant - all the woodchip needs digging out and replacing but I can't get a fork into it at the moment. Hang on in there girls, I'll sort it as soon as I can!

Well, who needs Aquafit anyway??

We've had far more fun here with a burst fitting to a main pipe in one of the outbuildings. It's been so much fun to paddle about in gallons of water wearing waterproofs and carrying dustbin lids, while a vast volume of water sprayed over us :D:D:evil:

The fitting wouldn't go back together so I had to call my son to come and help. Carl found some spare fittings in a barn and we eventually managed to re-jig the whole thing - soaked from head to toe in near freezing water :(

It's a good job we bought a submersible pump after last years burst in an outbuilding which necessitated knocking two holes in the wall to let water out. The water had run through a whole load of stuff I'd got ready to sell on Ebay.....including a gas log fire :evil:

Needless to say our temps. are just above freezing :roll: We did have another inch of snow last night but only sloppy stuff.

First respite for us for ages from the dreaded frost but as its thawing and the snow is coming off the trees i the wind has got up = not good for us as even if its not snowing it can blow and block us in with the drifting. Hope it remains too wet for that but I doubt it. It actually feels warm at 0.7 degrees this lunch time compared to minus 13 yesterday morning.

Nearly every farmer has lost at least one shed - some have fallen on stock and some have fallen on tractors and implements and some are just sagging and beasts have had to be gotten outside in the snow.

It is such a shame and a nightmare for them at this time of year with lambing coming soon.

Drove to work for the first time in a week after being given lift by friends OH in Landrover. YS said " bet we'll crash" obviously has masses of confidence in my driving skills. :lol: Skies are leaden but its warmer here. The weather forecasters seem to change their minds every 5 mins. Soup for dinner - another of mum's expiriments :D

We've had far more fun here with a burst fitting to a main pipe in one of the outbuildings. It's been so much fun to paddle about in gallons of water wearing waterproofs and carrying dustbin lids, while a vast volume of water sprayed over us :D:D:evil:

Needless to say our temps. are just above freezing :roll: We did have another inch of snow last night but only sloppy stuff.

Oh that sounds a nightmare!

Hope you sorted it and can relax a bit.

Thaw continues here with patches of green appearing in the fields and I look forward to posting a picture of the last bit of snow in the garden maybe next week :D

Blimey, Lesley, how awful! I presume the dustbin lids were some kind of shield? Your description did conjure up a fairly humorous image (sorry) of you and Carl in superhero outfits (aka waterproofs) and fending off water cannons with dustbin lids. Hopefully, you will see the funny side eventually!

Hope you are now warm and dry. More snow forecast for tomorrow apparently, but it might not reach as far as you with any luck.

roads much better today, yesterday was terrible, 3 of our GPs didn't get in to work until after 10 the whole area was gridlocked. Took me an hour to do 9 miles :x still the plus side is the surgery is fairly quiet, I presume everyone is feeling better now the bad weather has killed off all the horrible bugs that were about over the holidays :D