Old Speckled Hen

Snow

One of the biggest problems is the stupid litigation law in this country which states that if you clear your driveway pavement etc etc then you are liable if anyone slips over whereas if you do not it is an act of god.

I didn't realise this was the case :shock: I have been ranting at why everyone can't do their bit by clearing a space outside their house so that the pavements were safe to walk on. How ridiculous :evil: Someone told me that in some countries it is illegal NOT to clear outside your house. :roll:

We don't clear any of our drive for that reason :evil: stupid isn't it! In the US they have to clear their bit of pavement, they all have snow blowers. They also have to keep cars on their drives and none on the road so that the snow ploughs can get through on their scheduled runs. All the side roads are cleared by Toyota pick-ups with a snow plough attachment - usually by 7.30 am. We had to visit a very poorly relative in Minnesota one February and were amazed at how well it was cleared. We had to make visits and were worrying - as we would at home - and were looked at very strangely :shock: - as long as you dress for the weather - minus 30 at night, warming up to minus 20 during the day - then all travel was OK :shock:

I don't know about snow tyres......but I can't get any Yaktrax anywhere.....I wanted to buy some for my father.

It was minus 11 when we wnet to bed but minus 5 when we got up this morning. We're trying to cobble together some sort of system with hose pipe from the downstairs bathroom across to the barn as it is so difficult to water cows and sheep using buckets of water. I can't walk on the frozen snow now, even without a bucket of water.

I'm off to do a bit more Heath Robinson'esque cobbling - I only came in for some string and hose pipe fittings!

we had to ignore that stupid rule about not clearing snow outside your property, at work staff & patients were sliding down the ramp up to the front door which is supposed to be there to help wheel chair users get into the building! We has such a laugh a secretary a receptionist & 2 elderly men cleared the snow & put buckets of grit & salt down, a local police man joined in to help, 3 cheers for common sense :clap::clap::clap:

We have done our front path and round the side of the house and down the side of the Eglu run, plus we put grit at the junction of our lane and the main road, because we don't want to see an accident or get our wall demolished.

My OH had to have a row with one of his partners about clearing their front steps at work yesterday, they did it in the end.

All I can say is thank goodness for our big Honda ATV, without which I would be hitting the bottle now and the horses would be very hungry and thirsty. OH is very smug he put semi-off road tyres on the pickup, we went to Tesco's yesterday and picked up people struggling in the snow with their shopping bags and yay we have dog food now.

Yesterday evening we towed a big shallow tubtrug behind the Honda and all took turns having a ride around one of the paddocks so at least we had some fun with it, and OH got the snowboard out and we went snow-wakeboarding 8)

It's been snowing here, in varying degrees since 10.45am. It's not much to speak of now but we had a good 30 minutes of significant stuff. I just took a saucepan of boiled veg peeligs mixed with porridge out to the girls, they practicaly pecked my hand off to get at it!

I wish the various weather forecasters would agree on a forecast. Metcheck reckon no snow on Sunday, the BBC TV reckon lots of snow on Sunday and the BBC website reckons no snow :wall: So which is it???????

Hi I live in Southampton and all our main roads are fine - its just the residential side roads and the pavements that are icy.

We only had an inch or two of snow but for us thats a lot. Most kids, (large and small), are just glad that it didn't all just melt away as soon as it hit the ground like it usually does :D

We were back at school, different years had to use different entrances for some reason :eh:

They gritted on school grounds but not the pavement outside and the road's on a hill which was quite bad so people had to park away and walk, and all around the doors ... so now inside is covered in salt and grit :roll::lol:

We need to go in for exams, whatever the weather.

Had a bit of snow at break (11.30) but didn't last long - the suns out now :).