Alis girls

Fascination - what fascinates you?

I think I need to get out more as apart from the antics of my offspring and animals I find myself revitted (sp) to ads on telly for cleaning products - the visions of the computerised dirt lifitng out of the fabrics and the bacteria which look like maggots being cleaned away hold a fascination for me as never before. I dont even want to rush out and buy the stuff just love watching them work. :whistle:

Painting furniture. I've constantly got a piece on the go and I'm always on the look out for 'special' paint colours! All of the paint I use is on the neutral side yet the variety of tones is enormous. Who knew? My husband says if it stays still long enough, I'll paint it. I am working my way up to painting the outside of the house so I'm searching for the perfect stone tone! I do however have a fantastic collection of cleaning products and gadgets which I occasionally give an airing! Riveting stuff indeed.

Becka

The sheer complexity of everything around us. How things evolved from a single cell to a highly complex structure fascinates me. Even a simple looking daisy is so complex, even the single cell is amazingly complex, it was only a few years ago that I learnt about mitochondria that are in every cell and are described as the powerstations of each cell.

I'll stop because I'll gabble and although the subject fascinates me I don't have enough knowledge.

I'm always reading, visiting science museums, watching science programmes and there is constantly something new thrown in that I didn't know before. Love it.

Buildings - I can look at a photo of The Gherkin for hours.

I love those Mega Structures shows on Sky & also the ones where they move big things like houses from one place to another.

Spiders Webs when they are all dewy (& spider free) are endlessly fascinating to me.

Also the sheer vastness of space,the sky,the stars & pondering what else is out there.

I am also fascinated by the weather & can rattle on about it for hours.

Human nature. People watching fascinates me. I used to like Big Brother (in the old days) and the way that people pretended to be something that they weren't and how they reverted to type. I also find crime solving fascinating, the way that the police piece everything together. It also amazes and fascinates me how I can post something and arrives miles away the next day. I would love to follow a letter through the system to see how it all works. :oops:

The stars + space ... trying to even comprehend what else is out there that we know nothing about, and never will.

How insignificantly small we are in relative terms.

As sappy as it is, I can just sit + watch the stars for ages, when I can't sleep :D

Also go with newborn animals...

Watching chicks hatch at the farm, and talking a parties of kids (and parents) through whats going on.

The looks of :D , :shock: and :think: on their faces :lol:

Magic :D

I also love buildings particularly old ones. We went to Oxford on Saturday, I haven't been there for 15 years and I loved seeing all the beautiful buildings with fresh eyes.

The weather, I drive my family mad with my weather station statistics. :lol:

My children, I never fail to marvel at their personality traits and interaction.

Plants

The sea and it's power.

I love looking at clouds. The way they build up or the way the sun burns them away. The shapes you can make out of them, and being able to tell what sort of weather we will be getting. I do have a thing about tornadoes though. I would love to go storm chasing - but it's the thought of the destruction that they bring is so humbling that with all the technology we have today we still can't protect ourselves enough from the elements.

The stars + space ... trying to even comprehend what else is out there that we know nothing about, and never will.

How insignificantly small we are in relative terms.

As sappy as it is, I can just sit + watch the stars for ages, when I can't sleep :D

I couldn't have worded it better myself Lewis :D

Last night I was having a low moment, and I sat and watched the stars for hours. I find it strangely comforting.

Random acts of human kindness fascinate me, as it is reassuring when you hear about so much negativity in the world, that so many people are good and kind :P

Clouds

Stars

Space

Buildings

The World and science programmes about it

Spider webs (ditto without spiders)

Snowflakes

My garden when it is looking 'just so'

How when the sky is black with thunder clouds and the sun shines through a small gap and the tree at the end of our garden is almost aflame with its purple leaves turning red.

Edit: forgot to add the sea!! I love watching it, even though I can't swim and it terrifies me.

Bees - the more I find out, the more fabulously fascinating they become, the way they organise the colony, the way they reproduce, the way they collect honey ... they are amazing.

Without wishing to sound morbid, I find death quite fascinating - after all, we are all going to arrive there one day and I sometimes wonder 'when and how will it happen to me?' in a sort of disinterested way. No point worrying about the inevitable!

The English language is endlessly fascinating - how new words are coined, old words lost or change their meaning, how phrases that we think are modern are actually quite old, or how things like 'pecking order' or 'queen bee' etc are used in everyday speech by people who don't really consider their origins.

This is a great topic :D

I agree with a lot of the things already mentioned such as language. I love languages and how words are formed, where they come from and how they feel when you say them.

I am also fascinated by sea creatures and fish although am slightly frightened about swimming in the sea and not knowing what is below swimming by my feet :roll:

How does my body know how to create a new life, and how on earth can it just get on with it without any conscious thought from me (ok, well, apart from the initial bit :oops::lol: )? I have a little person inside me right now, growing and moving around and somehow I am responsible for sustaining this little life. It's so incredible. Also fascinates me that once born my body will switch into feeding mode and sort all that out too!

Finally, I am fascinated by memory and senses and how tiny things such as smells and sounds can trigger such strong memories, things that I would have never thought about. For example, I turned on a bedside light the other night - one of those where you ping the little plastic peg into the light fitting, if you know what I mean - and the noise it made brought memories of my Granny flooding back. I would have never have connected the two if I hadn't heard the noise. That probably makes me sound a bit odd! :anxious:

I work in a Primary school, and could listen to children's intense conversations about...nothing..... for hours. I have a child who I offer medical support daily to, and I could listen for hours about the bit of dirt he's grubbing, the fossils he's found, the den etc.....he is ssooooo intense, and looks like a little old man..... I am also fascinated by things I can't comprehend, like artificial intelligence, cosmology, pure mathematics. I listen to Radio4 utterly rapt, it's like meditation.!

How does my body know how to create a new life, and how on earth can it just get on with it without any conscious thought from me (ok, well, apart from the initial bit :oops::lol: )? I have a little person inside me right now, growing and moving around and somehow I am responsible for sustaining this little life. It's so incredible. Also fascinates me that once born my body will switch into feeding mode and sort all that out too!

Looney, that is beautiful :P and so correct as well. the miracle of life is a fantastic one. My little sister is due in 2 and a half weeks (her first child) and I have been in awe her whole pregnancy of how miraculous it all is. I drove her and her husband to both of their scans and cried when I saw the photos when they came out. It really is soooo incredible. When my nephew does arrive in the next few weeks, I honestly think I will burst with the wonder of it all :oops: