Guest Kalico

A morning question....

My 6 girls are in a coop with a sliding door, the coop sits in a fully double wired and roofed WIR. At nightfall, we close the coop, pull the tarpaulin over the front (there are ventilation holes in the back of the coop) and a piece of thick perspex keeps out the cold etc.

As Spring is coming, it's getting lighter earlier and earlier (currently about 6.20am) - we set an alarm and go out and let the girls out as soon as it's light. Obviously it's going to keep getting earlier - would it be safe to leave their door open when daybreak is even earlier?

What do you all do for letting your hens out at first light?

We leave the coop door open. We shut their eglu 2m run which is fox proof, so from 6.20 (or whenever they get up) they are in the little run, then at 7 we let them into their WIR. It's still roof-less so wouldn't feel safe leaving them just in the wir alone, but the eglu run is fox proof so i'm happy to leave them open :) I know a lot of omletteers leave their coop door open, even when it was snowing so I'm sure they will be fine :D

Neighbours aren't an issue, there is only one and they aren't near enough to hear them (well...they may here the VERY loud Attila!!) They have never mentioned the hens. I'm doubting they know we have any.

We are still getting heavy frosts here every week - would it be better to wait until it's a bit warmer before leaving their door open?

I'm still getting up about 6.20 (or a little later if it's overcast) to open the cube door. Once the clocks change, and it's a little warmer I shall have to rethink my strategy - unless I'm going to get up at 4am, let the chickens into their run and then go back to bed! Not a bad plan actually - it's always nice to go back to bed for a while ;)

We have three bantams in an Eglu and have experimented with leaving the door open whilst shutting the run at night. However, I agree with the previous post about noise! :roll: If our girls can get out into the run early they the kick up stink until I rush out, clutching my dressing gown in order to hide my modesty and not frighten the neighbours, :shock: to let them out into the garden!

Its much easier to leave them in the house until we go downstairs (around 7.00am on weekdays and 7.30am at weekends) when no. 1 son is dressed and delighted to deal with them! :clap: They do still fuss but its muted as they are still in the Eglu. No complaints from neighbours so far but I think I am getting paranoid! :doh: I certainly don't want to give the neighbours any ammunition!

This bit of extra time in the Eglu does seem to mean that the girls then head straight for the grubs and have a really good fill up before heading out into the garden! :P Hope that helps!

(white chicken) Casserole

(white chicken) Korma

(white chicken) Kiev

green eglu)

If your run is fox proof then it's absolutely fine to leave the pop hole open all night. I do this for my girls in summer. If your pop hole door is sideways sliding (sounds like it is) you can also try my trick which is to close the door far enough across to prevent draughts blowing into the coop - useful at this time of year! - but open enough for them to poke their heads around in the morning and push the door open.

Another option is an automatic pop hole opener (I'm going to be treating myself to one this year 8) ). Traditionally they have only been able to open and close vertical sliding doors, but Forsham now sell one called the Pullit which claims to be able to open and close a horizontal sliding door. Not cheap though!

I never close the door on my Cube, whatever the weather and I love on top of the pennines in a very windy site!! They come out into the run whenever they want to. Hens are pretty resilient creatures, but may depend on how warm their coop is. The Omlet houses keep them warm as they are double skinned, like a thermos flask so even on the coldest night, I've been out and put my hand in the Cube and it's been warm in there with hot bodied little hens all huddled up.

Mine would have a real strop if I shut them in the Cube, I think!!

I ignore them in summer until I get up about 6.30 and let them out. Can be noisy in the cube but even noisier in the run when laying :roll:

Would never leave the door open it's too risky. How many people have posted about tragedies happening even with a secure run.

Our house is completly wooden, it lets no light in. I swear ours only wake up to the sound of my voice every morning, so they get up when I get up. I walk down the garden, open the walk in run and say ' morning girls', and they say 'hello' back, then I let them out and they have breakfast, i never hear a peak from them until I have been down to let thm out. I let them out betweeen 7-8 all year round (even in the winter when its pitch dark at that time!)

Rachel

One of the dogs asked out at about 6am this morning, so rather than going back to bed for an hour and getting up again, I let them out then! They marched down their stairs realised it was still dark so about turned and went back to bed!!

Mine also get up when I do - though I do shut the Eglu door at night.

So usually about 7.30, winter & summer. If a weekend I set alarm, get up & let them out then go back to bed (me, that is!) for a while! :D

Lol...that's what we do too!! Great to climb back into a cosy bed - except I tend to get back to find some flaming dog has taken my warm spot!! :roll:

Hehe, I also get them up and then head back to bed on the weekends, I have managed to train my body to always wake up around 7ish to lt them out, the only time I can properly lie in is when we are away, but even then I am watching my phone for my friend to text to say they are up!

Funny story this morning....we have two houses for our chickens, they always all sleep in the same one but I always lock both houses up each night to discourage rats from going in the 2nd house at night. I let them out this morning and kept hearing this whimpering coming from behind me, I opened up the second house and jenny came out! she;d gone to bed in the wrong house last night and had slept all on her own! silly chicken!

Rachel