thelurch

Early morning noise again!!!

So, in nearly eight months you have had no complaints about your noisy hens but you are worried about their vocalising upsetting your neighbours and consider that you are "just too considerate to the people who live around me"

Why is this upsetting you so much when it obviously bothers your neighbours not a jot?

If you feel you can't keep chickens then by all means rehome them. Some people don't suit keeping hens and you shouldn't feel guilty.

The hens have only been bokking for less than half the 8 months I've had them, and I'm not making excuses, just like to think of others when it comes to noise.

I did some fairly extensive research before getting chickens, I didn't just do it on a whim, but not once did I read about hens doing a very early morning bokk.

So thanks to those that helpfully replied to my concerns.

And the noise is now happening at 6am everyday.

When I first read this post I thought you just had noisy girls, because I had never heard mine. But recently they have started to make a loud noise in morning too :( "Ooops, word censored!"ody has complained yet, but I'm in the same situation as you. It does bother me because I don't want my neighbours to be thinking "arghh those chickens again :evil: " but I have been round and given the immediate neighbours eggs and they seemed quite fine with them. Oh well, the girls are staying.

We have exactly the same problem, and every Summer I get worried about the noise. We have black tarp over the eglu and feeder-in to the run, which helped a little but didn't stop the problem. This year I am keeping the door shut as much as possible (the chickens sometimes bash the door open!), and putting a heavy blanket over the eglu, under the tarp, to deaden the sound (making sure air vents aren't blocked).

This should keep noise at a reasonable level until I am happy for them to come out.

I should point out we've had hens for several years now with only one complaint from a neighbour who thought they lowered the tone of the neighbourhood! We live in a modern housing estate and our garden is overlooked from all angles. I think I'm slightly paranoid about the noise as I don't want to upset the neighbours, but the reality is that seemingly they aren't worried.

Hope this helps?

I do know how you feel Lurch, i love my girls too and would never get rid and also, my neighbours have never complained about the noise. However, they (chickens not neighbours) have woke me up in a morning and when i have ran down to shut them up i have seen/heard the neighbours closing their bedroom windows. This simple little action speaks volumes to me, so yes, the early morning bokking can be upsetting for me. I just have to justify it by realising I dont have barking dogs all day long, I dont have screaming children playing in the garden and I dont play music loudly late at night. I try hard to remind myself that there are other noises out there too and sometimes when i am straining to try to hear my girls over the wild birds, i do think i may be over sensitive.

I think, maybe, some of us worry too much about our neighbours when things could be a lot worse and if a few noisy hens in a morning is all they have to worry about, i dont think they can complain too much.

Now all i have to do is listen to my own advice! :oops::lol:

Our 4 ex batts have never been noisy and when we got them last July you would never had known we had chickens. However our pure breeds do seem to be much noisier, perhaps it's because they are so young, not sure. Our Welsummer is incredibly loud and day after day they were waking us up at 5am, so we have started shutting them in the Cube at night. We do sleep at the back of the house and have the windows open, so I guess we are the nearest to them than any of our neighbours. We've not even told some of our neighbours that we have hens and so far haven't had any complaints. Mind you if I am in the WIR with them I am always worried a neighbour is going to pop their head over the fence and say something, but so far nothing. I would add that we live at the end of a road and have 6 gardens backing onto the side of our garden where the WIR is, so would not be feasible to give them all free eggs as we would have none for ourselves.

Interesting discussion and so glad came across this one.

Am fairly new to chicken keeping, had my first two girls end of Aug, and two exbats in Nov. So havent experienced very early morning noise (as yet!), but of course thinking about it. Have thought about making black out curtain but have read its not very successful. :?

I have always locked my Cube at night, but now with the warmer weather etc... have the past two nights left it open so the girls can get up when they want. They havent made too much noise yet, but worried that they might so very torn as to whether to continue leaving door open or not. Mine can be quite vocal when they want and really dont want them bokking at silly oh clock. I love the idea of them being able to get up when they want but not any potential noise factor.

I know am being overly conscious of the noise but think when you are considerate to other people, you cant help but worry about it. I know a lot of people dont give a hoot, and experience that from my neighbours.. dogs barking, kids screaming, motorbikes being repaired and revved, lawmower being used when its dark etc etc.

Hubby says I worry too much but cant help it. :oops:

Mine were yelling (or one was) at an unearthly hour. Got hose, short sharp spray in the cube and not one peep have I heard from them since. Even up till now when battles usually commence for the nestbox pretty much after they've scoffed their brekkers and nada. I'm hoping they have seen sense and they get let out when I say so.

Left the Cube door open again last night and did here my chickens making noises in the WIR at 5.50am this morning. :? it was still dusk. I didnt dare look through the curtain as sure they would have started up :think:

I think I am going to shut the door again, I know I rest easier when they are secure in the cube and if it keeps any noise to a minimum all the better. Its a shame but cant help but worry about any consequences they may bring through doing what they do naturally.

Years ago, most people kept chickens and other wildlife, it was a way of life.... no one batted an eyelid am sure, but so many intolerant people about now.

Has anyone ever placed a food dish inside the Cube for their girls ? just wondered if worth trying that to see if it helps pacify them till let out time... ?? xx

I am trying to think how much chicken noise would actually annoy me. (Objectively as if I didnt have any)

We encourage lots of wild birds into our garden and the dawn chorus gets pretty noisy, but it is a lovely noise, not an annoying one.

We get a few planes going over, they can be annoying, and our neighbours dog is a constant barker, not loudly particularly but constantly, it sounds like he smokes about 40 a day! That gets a bit annoying sometimes.

Loud music, is occasional, rather than everyday, and then we have a bus that goes by.

I think overall the same noise may annoy you on one day and not on another. If you have had a bad night and the chooks are loud enough to wake you or stop you getting back to sleep then they might be a bit annoying. But I do think most people, most of the time, would not mind the sound, maybe even enjoy it a little. I love it when our girls chatter away, (foolishly I now chatter back to them in chicken speak, which probably annoys my neighbours more).

I would try and persist with the squirting. The chickens are no where near as daft as the bird-brain label suggests, but I would also try and relax a little about it, if no-one has complained yet and it has been going on for a while, maybe it really isnt bothering them particularly, and maybe some of them actually like it.

Our neighbour didn't even know we had our chickens until we lifted the fence up to sray it, she thought they were great and had known other people who had kept them. Everyone who has seen ours wants some too!

I know you don't want to upset your neighbours, but maybe they aren't at all.

I agree that I never realised hens could make such a racket despite all my reading and research and previous experience of my old Gran's hens. Now I'm a chicken owner my hens seem to make more noise when they get going than my little cockerel does and my OH has been known to come inside and shut all the doors so he can't hear it and worry about what the neighbours might think. (Talk about head in the sand :lol: ) .

The other day I was on the phone when the racket started, and I went outside and held out the phone. The person I was chatting to just said 'Oh how lovely and rural' :) (There are fields around us but it is really suburbia, not counryside here) That got me thinking about 10 years ago, when I lived in the centre of High Wycombe. I was absolutely delighted when the people opposite me got some chickens. As they weren't mine I didn't have to worry about any complaints and loved the noise so much I used to leave the window facing them open just so I could hear it . . . till I found out that they were keeping them for illegal cock fighting. :roll:

So, long story short, perhaps the worry about neighbours just makes us over-sensitive and then a viscious circle starts with us chicken owners getting more and more worried while the neighbours hardly notice it, or even like it.

Anyway I've found that the reason for my chooks making such a racket was not their desire to run about, or even get food, but because there was not enough room for all that wanted to, to lay an egg in the egg laying area. I have since made an extra little wooden box and filled that with straw and put that in my hen house (I have a biggish hen house with no run). Bingo it works :dance:

Again thanks for some useful reassuring posts.

I think its important to make those considering getting chickens aware of the potential early morning bokking so they can be at least prepared.

I have just come back from a week away, we had a neighbour down the road keep them fed, watered etc.

I felt quite relaxed knowing that I wasnt being woken at 6am with bokking.

For the last week they had no one to bok to early morning, as the hen sitter only came round at lunchtime, usually I go out and squirt them with the hose when they start up.

This morning was the first morning back from hols and one hen started at 6am ( its usually only one at a time )

I just laid there in bed and timed it, 4 minutes then silence....then a different hen started, this time 8 minutes, then silence, then bokking started up again and I weakened and they got a proper soaking.

Some have said already but we dont have loud late parties, dont play loud music, dont have a barking dog, or a harley davidson motorbike revving every 5 minutes, so maybe I am worrying for nothing but I have my argument if I do get "the letter".

If only they bokked during the day I wouldnt care!

And why do they do it at 6am? when they have obviously been up and in the WIR since dawn at least a couple of hours earlier. I leave food and water in the run overnight so it takes them a while to find their voices. Its not as if it is an egg annoucement either as I usually check after the soaking and there is very rarely an egg there.

I am so sorry to have to ask this but do you enjoy your chickens :?: I only ask because it seems that you were relaxed & happy while you were away & didn't have to worry about early morning noise. I'm sorry you had to give your hens a " proper soaking" as like Plum I'm not sure what this will achieve. Is it possible for you to simply let them out rather than soaking them - maybe you'll all be happier. Alli xx

can't really offer any advice on how to shut them up as ours are the same. We are very close to our neighbours, we're surrounded by houses! These pics will give you an idea....but "Ooops, word censored!"ody has ever complained and they know how to contact us as I've put cards thru everyone's doors to sell our eggs. Next door but one even say they enjoy hearing them! :shock:

They might not be annoying people as much as you think :anxious:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oOddC9y46xE/Sse9urHKxEI/AAAAAAAAABc/v6VHorthrD4/s1600-h/290808.8.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oOddC9y46xE/Sse_g4sKwKI/AAAAAAAAABk/xPaL9O-EVc0/s1600-h/230908.5.jpg

I am sorry that you are so worried about the noise your girls make...my only bit of advice is ....let someone else tell you it is a problem...if your neighbours don't complain, you can assume it doesn't offend/affect them...until the time they do... enjoy your girls...

The more I think about what you do the more upset I get. I advise you to rehome them as you are more likely to be reported for animal cruelty than the noise. A quick squirt occasionally is one thing but soaking them is totally unnecessary.

I have been watching this thread for a while now, and it seems to me that if you haven't had any complaints by now, then the only one bothered by the noise seems to be yourself.

If you really are that worried, wouldn't it pay to just nip round and ask your neighbours if they are bothered about the noise. If no one else minds then you will have peace of mind and you can stop with the unnecessary soaking of your girls. If yes then re-home them and everyone is happy (including your girls).

After all you can't stop a chicken wanting to be a chicken, and doing chickeny things.

Hear Hear Henslaved - you have summed up the situation perfectly.

If I was so worried about the neighbours, I would go and speak to them. Otherwise, sadly, I think it might be better for you and your girls if you re-homed them. You are clearly not enjoying them at the moment, I'm sure they must hate being soaked and it really is not fair on them, and I don't see the situation improving any time soon.

Every spring I worry about the hens' noise, and I've been keeping hens for three years now. I did rehome two insane silkies who would cause merry hell at 5am in competition with the local magpies :shock: , but my gobbiest pekin has been squawking her little bonce off since I got her :lol: I do understand the worry, but I've never had a complaint. I am very fond of taking eggs around to the neighbours as a way of checking that they're not being annoyed/as a bribe :oops: . I have neighbours on both sides and at the bottom, and have yet to have so much as a friendly complaint at the door, let alone a report to the council. From this time of year onwards, I shut them in. I find that they're a bit noisier initially in protest at being kept from their breakfast, but if you persevere they learn the new routine quite quickly. For example, yesterday was the first 'shut in' morning this year, and they screeched from 6.30am 'til 6.40am. This morning, they woke at 7am and bokked for about 5 minutes. Both mornings I have let them out at 7.30am. Interestingly, my son sleeps in the back bedroom and is closer to the hens than anyone else. He is never woken.

My little princess have always been really good until today :x:x 4.30 until 6am Eldest son was not impressed,

He was in the garden threatening to wring their necks... It was his first lay in for weeks, or would have been :lol::lol:

Just threw them some worms and that shut them up, dont want to go down that route, but hopefully it was a one off.

I'm having same problem and seem to be doing same things. My one and only concern is what if i HAVE to give up my girls? Has anyone had to deal with council over noise complaints? I'm too sensitive as it wakes me but not my children and think i've got them to wait til 7am. But what do you do if that letter arrives?????? :pray: