Cinnamon

The Christmas Thread

It's going to be a tighter Christmas this year, as funds are being saved for OH's 40th birthday celebrations next year :dance:

We were planning to have lunch out, but may be changing our plans and having the in laws in for dinner now.

Crikey, I know funds are tight, but couldn't you afford a turkey?

:lol:

and what are you doing for his 40th? Mmmm tasty inlaws :drool:

Got my first presents on Saturday - a couple of cat bowls for my son

Being still quite new to the forums, I am becoming increasingly worried about you lot :lol: Inlaws for lunch, cat bowls for sons :shock::lol: Mind you, probably safer than my 16 year old using my best plates for Christmas lunch and then attempting to load the dishwasher with OH after drinking all the nice wine I've put away for then.

I'm in the "buy things throughout the year and stash them away" camp. It's like a mini Christmas in early December when I get out all the things that I've bought so far to start wrapping them. There are always some things I've completely forgotten I've bought and I often end up with too many things for one person, so I have to "carry some of them over" until their birthday! :lol:

When can we start using our Christmas avatars? :wink:

To keep harmony on the forum, I think Avatars should be saved until the 1st of December :wink:

Having said that, I currently have my Christmas shuffle playing on my ipod, as I am making 11 mini Christmas cakes. The kitchen smells lovely. Cinnamon, mixed spice and Oranges wafting into the rest of the house! :D:D

A few pressies bought already. A large tin of Celebrations hidden away. Paper organised and a box of ribbons that are too nice to use :oops:

Am moving soon (hopefully) so looking forward to decorating the house. I have BEAMS in my new kitchen!! Yay!!

I have made Christmas cakes ( sitting hiccuping quietly due to the fact I was a little heavy handed with the brandy bottle ), the fruit for the puds is soaking in brandy ready to be turned into puds tomorrow. I have made loads of jams for hampers ( still more jam and jelly to make and maybe some chutneys). While I haven't started buying pressies a good few have been knitted and sewn. I don't do the pressie buying until nearer the time I just like to get all the homemade stuff done in plenty of time.

T Cinnamon, mixed spice and Oranges wafting into the rest of the house! :D:D

May I make it quite clear that I only visit the very best peoples houses to waft :wink::lol:

haha you sprung to my mind when I read that :wink:

My sum total of Christmas buying is......a bargain £1 roll of silver wallpaper for wrapping :lol:

Oh deary me :lol:

We aren't going to eat the in laws.. Meat would be tough at their ages I'm sure :wink:

Rather invite them for dinner at ours rather than us all going to a nice restaurant with us paying :lol:

As for OHs 40th Plum... It's Vegas baby... 7 nights, staying at the MGM grand, and planning a different Michelin starred restaurant every night (well if we can save enough for the dollars... And if the family are happy with a tangerine and a lump of coal for crimbo :wink: )

Normally I'm one who shies away from too much Christmassy stuff too early, but this year is looking like an ex ception as my sister is coming for the entire of December! I'm planning a roast ham, heaps of salads & probably a pavlova with lots of fresh strawberries. Every Christmas I've spent here so far has been too hot to even contemplate a big stodgy meal so light & fresh is the way to go. We'll follow that with maybe a walk around the forest or taking a boat onto a lake, maybe go for a dip. A Christmas trip to the beach is inevitable, but that'll be either Christmas Eve or Boxing Day. I've done no shopping whatsoever yet, but no worries, I always wait until December to tackle that chore & it'll be easier this year as my sister has agreed to take my family gifts home with her so I needn't worry about postage.

I'm really, really looking forward to Christmas this year!

:D Sounds great, Cate - a lovely Christmas!

There is a clear hint in the title of this thread, and I wonder why anyone bothers reading it, who doesn't want to think about Christmas yet!

If I bought everything, then I might leave it till December. If you like to make gifts or cards, or if you want to make your own puddings, cakes or mincemeat then you do need to be thinking about it now. I used to shun Christmas, but as I get older I enjoy the preparation more and more, often more than the actual day. My mum loved Christmas, and when I'm making cakes or mixing up the pudding on Stir-up Sunday, I think of her and smile.

Wow Space Chick that'll take a few pennies :D

Not seen any ads yet or seen much in the shops. Must get out more, but there are some areas in Derby that don't seem to have taken their decs down from last year. Good thing it's come round so quick.

I'm quite looking forward to Christmas this year, for some odd reason. Just hope baby Ben doesn't decide to be the first to pull the tree over.

Bought a couple more stocking fillers this morning in the garden centre, they have a whole section of decorations & things. Got a couple of wooden hanging Santa things which come with felt tips to colour in yourself. Should keep the boys occupied for a little while on Christmas morning, then hopefully they can be hung up somewhere every year :D

On the lookout for a stocking for Ben although I don't what I'm going to put in it :think:

It'll be kittens pulling mine down as usual :lol:

I bought some wrapping paper yesterday. Mr Griffin cannot understand why I haven't yet used to Disney Princesses wrapping paper that he bought last year after I stupidly asked him to buy some. I had no idea he knew our daughters so little :lol: None of them would be too impressed by it :lol:

Actually I will use it, for his presents :D

I have been enjoying this thread very much. I too love Christmas and will be going to Kansas to spend Christmas with my daughter and her husband. This will be my first Christmas in 23 years that I have been able to go away for Christmas. I am a retired nurse and always had to either work Christmas Eve or Christmas day. Any way I have seen people speak of Stir-Up Sunday. What is this and what Sunday is it? Sounds fun. Do friends get together to do this?