Cinnamon

The Christmas Thread

Having gone Humbug, Humbug, I am pleased and relieved to say I have started my Christmas shopping already. Visited my oldest and bestest pal in Norfolk last weekend and picked her brains as to pressies for her two (my godchildren) so bought there and then, and left them with her...she similarly sent me home with pressies for my two (her godchildren)..I was also able to buy her present, and she bought me mine...well it's just easier. I am now filled with inspiration to go ahead and order/buy the rest of my presents.. I am also going to buy my christmas cards and write them out so that I don't end up doing it in a rush, with the Christmas Decs still in the box from the loft tapping their fingers impatiently....(we eventually got them up on 23 December last year...well I say we..I was at work and the kids decorated the house)...So all in all determined that Christmas will not be Chaotic this year....now where's that fingers crossed smilie? :D

I've just had the first of many present wrapping sessions :dance: All safely tucked away now. Although why I thought it'd be a good idea to individually wrap 13 pairs of socks rather than divide them into just three presents is beyond me :roll:

Last year I bought my girls sacks for their presents and each was embroidered with their name. On Christmas Day I folded them up neatly and put them somewhere safe to be used again........ You can guess the rest :roll::lol: Oh well, there are a few cupboards that could do with tidying up!

I've bought a fair few presents already and have even wrapped some of them! No idea what we are doing for Christmas Day though. We have family quite spread out so it is quite difficult. I think we will probably just spend it together, just the two of us and the animals.

Today I've put together shoeboxes for the Link Romania Christmas appeal. I've been collecting bits for the last month and it's amazing what you can fit in. My girls do one each and it's good for them to know that some people are overjoyed to receive such basics as a Christmas gift. I found some Christmas wrapping paper too in the loft so now they're all ready to go. I will also soon order some naylorbase wreaths as some friends and I are going to have a wreath making session so I feel like I've finally started!

Bought my first chrissy pressie today feel a bit better and not so panicked :D hoping to knit of crochet some cute little xmas decorations for the tree any good patterns or sites anyone knows of.Would love to make chutney what sort do you make ClaireG would make great gifts for exteneded family me thinks mmmmmm might be surfing the web for lovely chrissmy things to make today.

After years of keeping my cake recipe secret i gave it to my ED last year who made her first christmas cake. She weedled it out of me by saying I can't take the recipe with me to the grave , i have to part with it for another generation to enjoy.

So after bragging to her sister about the recipe i had to part with it to a grumbling YD, over the chat link on FB i might add.

This morning YD has bought a nice recipe book to copy out the recipe and keep it preserved and she will add all her other favorite things into the book and keep it on the bookshelf.

Where does the ED keep her copy ? On a s"Ooops, word censored!" of paper in the kitchen drawer.....

I won't be giving her the recipe again if she looses it she will have to beg her sister to part with it.

Both are intent on cake baking this weekend .

Bought my first chrissy pressie today feel a bit better and not so panicked :D hoping to knit of crochet some cute little xmas decorations for the tree any good patterns or sites anyone knows of.Would love to make chutney what sort do you make ClaireG would make great gifts for exteneded family me thinks mmmmmm might be surfing the web for lovely chrissmy things to make today.

I make several types. I am very lucky in that i have a lot of fruit etc given to me. So far in the last couple of weeks, i've made a gingery pear one with walnuts, a beetroot and pear one, a lemon and mustard seed one and a cucumber and apple one. Today i'm doing a green tomato one. I've also been given a load of quinces so will be starting on quince cheeses and jellies soon.

Done quince brandy, quince jelly & quince paste, spicy green & red tomato chutney and I got the mincemeat made today.

Christmas puddings next ( I do the puddings, mum does the cakes), and I have lebkuchen and other gingerbread type treats stored away from Lidl.

Just the presents to buy... "Ooops, word censored!"ody has a clue what they want this year so some serious improvisation is in order :anxious:

I am getting myself more organised by photoing the gifts I already have for people on my iPhone. Then when I go out and see something that I think I might buy I can check what I already have. My memory isn't what it used to be :oops: I find it particularly useful in buying for the children as I like to make them the same but find it is easier to buy things for DD and therefore she ends up with more than the DS's :shock:

I also photo recipes I like so when I am in the supermarket I can get all the ingredients and not come home without the vital one. Better than lists which usually get left at home anyway :D

Since our baby is due on Boxing Day, Christmas could be quite interesting in our house! I've only bought one present so far (for OH) and plan to make petit fours to give as gifts to our friends (i'll be on maternity leave so i'll actually have some time to faff around). Not sure whether to make a cake or not but we are spending the day itself (labour permitting!) with SIL and family. Really must think about presents for the nieces and nephew soon - it's difficult though as all our 'shopping plans' are centering around the baby at the moment!!!!!

Going to have to start making lists I think!

OK, you have all got to me...

I think I need to start thinking about Christmas, if I am going to make any gifts at all. Am planning on making the Christmas Cards, and then I need to have a think about what pressies I might make, and what I will need to buy. Money is a bit tight this year with new baby and me on maternity leave - but that is just a good excuse to be inventive!

Am thinking some flavoured spirits (the spiced cranberry vodka might come back this year, which I got from this forum!) and fruits in some nice syrups etc... Will see what can be done!

I can hardly believe myself - I've booked a Christmas delivery from Waitrose online! Friday 23rd December - so far I've just put the turkey and sprouts in the trolley in order to reserve the slot, but I have made a big diary note to go back and review the order nearer the time.

The two week half term is almost over and it has been quite productive. I have submitted my first assignment for my new OU course. Met up with some old friends and made some things for Christmas.

I now have jars of pickled onions, mincemeat and cherry tomato and chilli jam, I have also made one Christmas cake and the fruit for the other is soaking and two Christmas puddings. I have also bought a few presents.

Chrissie

I've started my Christmas shopping! I saw a gorgeous pair of boots in the Debenham's sale, 25% off and with a gift card that I had been carrying around in my purse for yonks, they were a real bargain. Not often I get one of those. I shall wrap them up and give them to Him Indoors to give to me. I'll enjoy the surprise. As always.