Cinnamon

The Christmas Thread

As far as I am concerned, now that John Lewis & M&S have their Christmas shops up,it is officially the festive season,so I thought I would start a thread about our plans,shopping & general Christmas cheer :P

I got my Heston Orange -in-the-middle puddings last week,& am making a dent in the stocking piles already.

Just placed a hefty Amazon order too,& have picked up the Boots catalogue today as well :lol:

I'm so glad you posted this, because I am ridiculously excited as I've just this minute sorted out my plans for Christmas lunch. :D

I am spending Christmas Day at home for the first time in about 25 years (rather than going to stay with family) and am really looking forward to it. I am going to have three elderly people to lunch, who would otherwise be spending Christmas on their own. They are all guests at the monthly Contact the Elderly tea-parties that I volunteer for, and we are going to have a great day. I'm already picturing the table decorations ... is that really sad?

I've made about 12lbs of mincemeat so far. And I'm planning to make a few presents this year, but as usual haven't quite got round to it .... fast-forward to December when I will be sewing till midnight and moaning 'why didn't I start these earlier'. :lol:

I'm actually organised this year :shock: Have already got the older 2's main presents bought & bought what my parents are given them. Been thinking about stockings & have bought a couple of things, just going to keep an eye out & buy things when I see them.

No idea what to buy for Ben (youngest) though as he plays with all the toys we have already & we really don't need more. I've got the same troubles thinking of what other family members can buy the boys as they really don't need anything. All Daniel is asking for is a real, life size TARDIS :eh: Anyone got any ideas of how Santa is going to manage that one?

I bought my first present last week and am on the lookout now. I have just received a calender from our oil suppliers :shock: - a bit too early for me. I am planning to get the cake made in the next couple of weeks if I can and will definitely be making mince meat again this year and quite fancy my hand at a pork pie. I noticed TKMax have loads of decorations in now.

I've bought three presents so far, we don't start planning or preparing until daughter number threes birthday on September 20th so it's all systems go now. Boots are 3for2 already on their Christmas gifts so I expect to place my order soon.

I hope to spend Christmas Day at home on our own, just as we did last year for the first time in years. The girls said it was their best Christmas ever, so we obviously did something right :D It was a lovely day and the dinner I cooked was superb even if I do say so myself :lol:

Mr Griffin is on call from 6am Boxing Day so travelling to see family will be minimised :dance:

I am sooooooooo anti-social :lol:

No, No, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..............

If you spread the excitement out over 3 months (rather than just December) it is spread too thin.

I love Christmas, but it can't occupy a whole quarter of the year - thats just wrong!!

Please keep all postings about the C word in this thread until December please.

H

Oh,I am anti social too - my perfect Christmas is just the 4 of us at home,no visitors,no interruptions :lol:

But this year my brother is on holiday,so it looks like my dad will come here (under sufferance...he would MUCH rather be with my brother),along with my sister & her partner :?

I did invite everyone to me about 4 years ago - they said yes,then at the beginning of December my brother invited them to his,so off they all went :roll:

It does make me feel a bit like we are second choice,& I did think long & hard before inviting them again,as I would hate for them to upset me as they did last time, much all over again :roll::?

Families,eh? :roll::lol:

I have a few things tucked away, but the real planning doesn't start for us until after YD's Birthday 13th November. We all love just spending Christmas day tucked up at home, just the 5 of us. We will then take buffet stuff and left overs to my Grandad's on Boxing day, he is 92 and a real family man, but can't get out much now, no doubt he will make his famous orange trifle with chcoolate custard :D

We hope to get away to see the rest of the family the week before Christmas, because the children finish school over a week before the big day and the time will drag otherwise.

Gosh you folks are really organised :shock: I though I was doing well getting the presents for my friends in the US. I asked at the PO when the last posting date for surface mail was and as of the beginning of this week they had not been officially told :shock::shock: but reckoned it would be the middle of the month. I will make my cake soon though :D

I don't know why, because I am usually with Ebeneezer Scrooge on the subject of Christmas ... but for some reason it is taking my fancy this year. Have made about 60 Christmas cards already, and have booked me and my best pal onto a Christmas wreath making course.

Thanks to Cinnamon's early warning I've got my Heston orange Christmas pudding. I will bake Delia's cake as well as it went down very well last year. I've already got one small present and one large present but the large present may well end up as a birthday present for YS whose birthday is in December.

The kids (24, 20 and soon to be 14) love to have people over for Christmas, its okay for them they don't do any running around. Virtually every year we have the 'mothers' or OH's sister and hubby. Last year OH and I felt quite exhausted on Christmas Day. We get the kids to do the table etc - maybe we'll have to involve them in the cooking a bit more. We enjoy getting the meal ready together - he cooks it and I wash up and chop veg and we have a couple of glasses of champagne along the way. He would love to go away for Christmas but I'm not sure whether I'd like that or not. :roll:

I love Christmas and have a countdown to Christmas wallpaper on my phone and look forward to it. I'm not usually in the mood to do any planning or prep until beginning of December though. It feels right then to me and I like to enjoy other festivals in Autumn & Winter first. Everything always works out nicely anyway. I shall however read this every day firstly because I'm nosey and secondly I can get ideas from you all. I like reading all the different ways people spend their Christmas Day.

I don't get the time to think about it until it's December.... it will be the usual I guess; everyone to me for Christmas Day (not my sister though) so that's 10 to cook for, and then Phil and I go to his folks on Boxing Day for a quiet day on the farm and Rosie spends the day with her Dad.

Like Hazel, that'll be my last thought on Christmas until December :wink:

Christmas is usually weeks away in my list of to dos but this year OH is home for that time and i have booked our lunch at a hotel..... :roll: just for once i will not be cooking that....lunch or doing all the washing up, i feel rather excited about it :dance:

My 2D's are entertaining other in laws etc.... so i don't have to. :D

The rest of the prep for that time of year will not start for many weeks yet , at least not until after my B'day at the weekend :whistle::whistle:

I bought Christmas cards in August when we were on holiday. Yesterday I bought a tin of chocolates as they were on special offer, as was the wine I have hidden away :-P. Presents are easy as DS has already chosen his and we always go away for a shopping weekend nearer the time to get others! I usually order the turkey by mid-October but this year the vote is for beef. The last few years it has been just us for Christmas Day, which is much more enjoyable, another anti social omleteer here, and inlaws on Boxing Day :-P.

Christmas is usually weeks away in my list of to dos but this year OH is home for that time and i have booked our lunch at a hotel..... :roll: just for once i will not be cooking that....lunch or doing all the washing up, i feel rather excited about it :dance: :
That sounds lovely. I would be excited too :-D

I'd love not to have to think about it but we have to spread it out as there are so many to buy for - anyway I love the long slow buildup, cooking things in advance and stashing them away till I have a cupboard full of jars and Christmas puds. I make the puddings for mine & OHs families on stir-up Sunday every year -I always make lots of extra ones & we eat them all year.

So far I have the ingredients for the mincemeat and puds, plus brandy into which the HUGE quinces will go to steep very soon. No presents bought yet, though we have decided on pheasant for dinner!

This year is just us, no guests for once, we are really looking forward to that - the kids have asked if we have to get dressed :shock::roll: .

Another who doesn't like the dripfeed and would like to avoid it until Coke's "The holidays are coming" ad hits the TV on Dec 1st! I'm still clinging onto summer by my fingernails ;)

But... I had a brainwave last January whilst still in last year's festive spirit and bought gifts for all of DH's massive family on the Argos clearance website for £30 (MIL insists on a £3/head limit so I'm not being *that* stingy :lol:). Just type in your postcode, pick a local store and it'll show you what's left - sometimes at a real bargain price :D

Anyway, now I don't have to think about it until Dec :clap: Except... DH and I fancy making an Xmas cake this year. Been married for yonks and never knew he likes fruit cake :roll: Can anyone point me to Delia's recipe please? Ta :D

PS Couldn't believe there was an Xmassy ad on TV last night :roll:

It's going to be a tighter Christmas this year, as funds are being saved for OH's 40th birthday celebrations next year :dance:

We were planning to have lunch out, but may be changing our plans and having the in laws in for dinner now. :D

The only presents I have bought so far is one for my nephew, one for my sister, and one for my sisters inlaws.

OH and I are not going to buy each other presents to save our money for Vegas :dance:

My Christmas savings come out at the end of October, so I always start thinking about now :wink:

When I got my first job after Uni, a much older colleague made me start a monthly saving in the October for 'next Christmas', she said I'd thank her one day.... If I was still in contact with her I would do... She has ensured I have had Christmases for the last 15 years :lol:

Well funny enough I have ordered Xmas cards & gift wrap stuff. I was also looking at cards in Clinton's on Tuesday, when a certain someone called my name!

.....................Spacechick! They were naughtyish cards too! You know the black & white couples sort! :oops:

Emma.x

I'm just glad it was you :lol: or I could have looked like a right idiot :anxious::lol: