Cinnamon

The Christmas Thread

I've bought my 2 year old's presents now, we managed to get some good deals on Tesco Direct, Amazon and local stores. Got a few bits for my 2 month old, just soft toys and light up toys, will probably get a few 'first christmas' items as well.

I'm having a Kindle and OH wants some Bose headphones, we'll only buy one another 1 thing this year.

I've spotted a few bits on BHWT I'd like to buy others, got my wrapping paper, got to do a count for batteries and buy those before wrapping pressies.

Having dinner at OH's parents, we're buying the wine, dessert, crackers and table decs.

The chickens are having the Mega Treat Pack between the 5 of them!! :lol:

Please don't curse me :D:wink:

I make most of my presents but I'm not very good at things for 'boys' - I found some lovely little keyrings made from paracord and for OH's birthday earlier this year I bought a beautiful turned wood former for pork pies.

I found someone selling vintage spoons with a phrase embossed onto them - chose a great one about coffee for my daughter's birthday and it's something she can use.

Well, I'm thanking you really, Lesley. :lol: It's the Omlet effect again. I found boxes made from record sleeves, and I've ordered a notebook for my niece made from an actual LP. Fabulous! I like the sound of the vintage spoons, may have to go back for another look ...

OMG after reading this thread i am feeling overwhelmingly christmassy :D

I went to sainsburys yesterday and they have 2 bottles of bucksfizz for £4.00 so get stocking up.

I have been making chutney with the green tomatoes i have left from this recipe http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/04/nigel-slater-green-tomato-recipes

here is my first jar :)

314568_10150322234137914_504287913_8147939_1581855480_n.jpg

I havent made chutney before, if i made a load now would it last so it can be used as xmas presents? The kilner jars are only £2.00 so would make a great present.

I have bought one xmas present so far. I have asked for a pasta maker so i can use all my spare eggs for homemade pasta :D

ive just got back from a 4 hour shopping trip! not ghastly town centres though. Been to the farm shop, sainsburys then forgot stuff, then tesco then garden centre and bought lots of jars and stuff to make chutney :D

the garden centres were full of xmas stuff but i didnt feel christmassy sat in the patio'd area of one of the garden centres with a glass of wine and brie baguette in the glorious sun...

I am really looking forward to NORAD Santa tracker, I was introduced to it on this forum and absolutely love it. I get that little thrill you get as a child about Father Christmas so goodness knows what it does to actual children. We cheered the year when Father Christmas was delivering presents to the troops in Afghanistan, I emailed my son & told him!! Last year we knew when Father Christmas was visiting him in Japan. This year he'll be in Austria and we'll know when he gets his visit. I think it's brilliant for bringing families together.

*pushes Scrooge to the next topic* :wink:

3 days off now and starting preps for my Christmas puds tomorrow. Have several requests from friends, so need to make a few :lol:

Mum's stocking is nearly done.....just the rest to plan/buy for. Little bit panicky now as I am running late and try to avoid the shops in December.

Two weeks half term holiday now. I have an Open University assignment to write and an archery torunament to organise and then I will start on some Christmas preparations.

Pickled oninons, Christmas cake and puddings, mincemeat, maybe some chutney, haven't made that for many years, BC (before children!)

I am supposed to be studying now!!! must look at the books :oops:

Chrissie

Bought the most amazing candles in Tesco yesterday & am going to get a couple more as stocking fillers.

They are room scenter ones,& are with the air fresheners, HALF PRICE at the moment,so only £3, & they change colour as they burn away.....really unusual & cool.

They come in 3 smells - a chocolatey one,one which I think was Japanese silk or something & a nice Christmassy mulled wine one,which is what I got.

They are quite big & really fun,so might interest others who are looking for stocking/hamper fillers :D

OH's and my extended families are getting astronomically huge and gift buying is too much of an expense especially for younger members who are struggling to find work, let alone afford Xmas presents. We have all decided to buy presents for our individual units, so we'll buy for our parents and children and so on, but not brothers, sisters, cousins etc. It sounds mean but its a relief for some who were finding the whole thing embarrassing. It actually makes Christmas more enjoyable for everyone.

Now we've got to the stage of the children all being adults, we do a "secret Santa" with a limit of £10 each, names allocated fairly soon I imagine :wink: , everybody buys one present which goes under the tree......the grandchildren who are arriving now all tend to get a present from each section of the family, as do my 2 children as they are so much younger than their siblings & cousins.............does that make any sense at all :roll:

We've done something similar; once extended family (four siblings, spouses, their children and now their grandchildren) grew to more than 20, it just got out of hand. We didn't spend a lot, but it got harder and harder to find things, and coming from a family of hoarders/clutter-gatherers I have a real aversion to buying 'stuff' that is neither wanted nor needed!

We tried a 'Secret Santa' draw one year, but someone didn't get a present, which led to some ill feeling :lol: It turned out the present had been lost in the post, but as it was a secret draw, "Ooops, word censored!"ody knew who to ask! After that we decided that we'd just buy for immediate family; I buy presents for all those under 18, and then just for my sisters and two nieces whom I'm particularly close to. As I have a lot of close friends, I still end up buying a lot of presents, and I do stockings for my sisters. I would hate to only have to buy two or three things - it wouldn't feel like Christmas without lots of wrapping to do!

OH is making chutney today :D

As for asking for a pasta maker.... I've had mine for years, and you really can't beat fresh pasta :D I also freeze pasta balls when we have an egg glut to help get through the winter... They freeze really well ... Then you just defrost and make what you want with it :D

Im still going at the chutney. On my 4th pan!! my mum and dad are currently over, they brought the parrot from his holiday while we were on holiday ;)

Ive asked mum to go and collect all my tomatoes from the plants and ive got loads to use. another trip out to buy kilner jars may be required.

Good news on the pasta maker, i am making focaccia bread to go with pasta, pesto pine nuts and goats cheese. would be nice if it was all homemade! cant wait to get it