Cinnamon

The Christmas Thread

Ordering my christmas meats from Clare Barrys tomorrow their turkey crowns are so juicy and OH loves their beef so getting the Avalance selection as we have a big family and my dad and step mum over boxing day for xmas day no2 so has to stretch a bit.Morrisons crowns look nice love their meat compared to tesco or sainsburys seems a totally different quality.

We had a lovely turkey from Morrisons last year, it was a free range bronze and cost us £35, we find that their meat is much better than most supermarkets, they sell good cheap cuts, it is the only place I know that I will find beef skirt for pasties. They sell cheap rubbish too, but if you know what you are looking for they are good.

Some of the 3 for 2 offers at Boots, Thorntons & various other places are good if on a tight budget - as you can practically bag some ' freebie' gifts. Another thought is you can tart things up in the way they are wrapped, to make them look more appealing. Those quick knit scarves (ruffle & loopy) make brilliant prezzies - are easy, even for beginners & the wool doesn't cost the earth! Or give them the ball of wool, a pair of needles for them to knit one themselves. Put it in a nice gift box - job done! Rustle up some cushions, paint some canvasses. Photo gifts make great presents too. Nice photos in a nice photo frame - Parents & grandparents love them! :wink:

I love homemade, handmade - but I tend to be the only one in my family that is crafty. :( I'd much prefer a ball of wool, some fabric & other crafty bits than most things. A nice magazine - one of the more expensive ones - that you just wouldn't normally buy or a craft Xmas special one would make me happy as a gift. Actually had this one year & was lovely one Xmas day to sit down & read, instead of the rubbish that's on the telly!

Just a few ideas to help out!

Got a strict budget for everyone - along with some handmade / homemade goodies.

Emma.x

Just to remind you - it's Stir-Up Sunday this weekend, so if you haven't already made your pud, now's the ideal time!

I've decided that perhaps I have overestimated the amount of home-made stuff I can do, I'm going to have a crafting weekend, and see if I can get through most of it; if not, then I've still got time to buy presents instead.

I like the wool and needles idea - I have two (almost) teenage nieces and am stuck for what to get them. I'm not going down the computer/ipod route as I think they have more than enough.

Know what you mean about teenage Neices, who want nothing, need nothing, but you are expected to buy them something! Refuse to give money at Christmas, doesn't sit right with me. They cause more hastle then everyone else put together!

On a different note, anyone got any suggestions on where to get a really nice teddy bear??? Suitable for 6 months plus, but need a teddy that is for keeps...

Can't help with the teddy, but if you feel that strongly about your nieces, then why not get them Oxfam vouchers? you've done the decent thing and bought a present, but rather than cluttering up their rooms with needless stuff it will be helping someone else. It's hard to lose the moral argument there, even if they hate you for it!

I don't know why but we've always had a chicken at christmas rather than a turkey. I suppose I've become institutionalised by now but I much prefer the taste to turkey which - apologies for the cliche - I find quite dry.

Maybe this is a sign of a smothered upbringing but I only just discovered Bread Sauce last year when having a roast dinner with friends of mine from South England. That stuff is incredible! Can't wait to have it again! That is DEFINITELY making an appearance again this year.

The big question is what veg do people go for? I adore cabbage but tradition dictates sprouts, which aren't a bad second choice I guess...anyone go for something unusual?

Just to remind you - it's Stir-Up Sunday this weekend, so if you haven't already made your pud, now's the ideal time!

oooh thanks. I've got all the stuff in, just got to make a few breadcrumbs and I'm away !!!!!!!!! I have usually made it by now, but I cant make my mind up whether to try a new recipe. I always make it from an old recipe I cut out of a magazine about 15 years ago ! Has any one done the one from Delia Smith's Christmas book ?

Just been to Meadowhell with a friend to do a bit of Christmas Shopping. The place was absolutely heaving. No obvious signs of the credit crunch about.

I've been to Bluewater today and the car parks were absolutely full. I can't stand it when its so busy. I must try harder to find presents on the internet.

:lol::lol::lol:

If anybody is shopping online, and I know I buy heaps of presents from Amazon, please please do it via a link on the Easyfundraising site so that a charity can benefit. I support Dogstar Foundation and they raise literally hundreds of pounds every year just through people using the Easyfundraising site. It takes a minute or two to set up but now each time I shop on Amazon I know Dogstar are benefitting too.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/panel/

I have the card of a lady who makes mohair bears, she was at the last craft fair, I can look it out if you want?

They weren't cheap but were beautifully made. There was a gorgeous blue elephant so she doesn't only make bears.

That sounds lovely, I would really appreciate it if you have the card?

It's for our own daughter for her first Christmas, so while money is important, I am happy to pay to find a decent bear!

I have the card of a lady who makes mohair bears, she was at the last craft fair, I can look it out if you want?

They weren't cheap but were beautifully made. There was a gorgeous blue elephant so she doesn't only make bears.

That sounds lovely, I would really appreciate it if you have the card?

It's for our own daughter for her first Christmas, so while money is important, I am happy to pay to find a decent bear!

Found it - It's http://www.marjoriebears.com There was a blue version of Pinky the elephant.......he was very cute.

I opened my Goodness Direct order today and have some of the new Montezuma's Christmas Hot Choc .......yum, I can't wait to try it! It was half price so I bought 4....and will be trying to put three of them in my Christmas Hampers :wink:

:lol::lol::lol:

If anybody is shopping online, and I know I buy heaps of presents from Amazon, please please do it via a link on the Easyfundraising site so that a charity can benefit. I support Dogstar Foundation and they raise literally hundreds of pounds every year just through people using the Easyfundraising site. It takes a minute or two to set up but now each time I shop on Amazon I know Dogstar are benefitting too.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/panel/

Thank you for posting the link and reminding me. I have already bought a few bits through Amazon and tried to cancel today to start again but it was too late :doh: Have registered now for any future purchases.

I also need to find a teddy, a lamb! Georgia has a sheep that she sleeps with, Lambkins. Apparently Lambkins is going to have a baby, Father Christmas is bringing it :shock::lol:

Have you found Lambkins' baby yet?! Jellycat do lamb toys in a couple of different sizes.

Handmade bears are lovely I have bought a couple at craft fairs but they state that they are not suitable for children due to the filling I think. You might want to check this before ordering anything otherwise you may end up with something she can only look at :?

I have bought gifts for my very young nieces and nephews from here http://www.beargarden.co.uk/. Some of their full price stock can be a bit expensive but they offer a very good service.

Wow, Christmas fever is rising, judging by the number of recent posts on here!

Calamity Jane, the Delia Christmas recipe is very good, and has been made in my family for a few years.

Griffin, thanks for the tip - I had never heard of this fundraising site, it's a shame because I have already spent over £100 on Amazon but I'll use it for anything else I buy.

I am doing very well, barely a day goes by without another parcel arriving. My friends and I have a shopping day at Bluewater every year, we arrive at 9 before the shops open, have breakfast, shop, have lunch, shop a bit more, have afternoon tea, shop some more and usually leave about 6! :shock: It's become a tradition with us, we even made it last year in heavy snow, and this year I am determined that I will only be browsing for stocking fillers and odds and ends, rather than frantically trying to buy lots of stuff.

Oh, and I am taking my shopping trolley again this year! The scornful laughter of friends soon changed as their arms grew longer and their bags grew heavier. :lol: