Cinnamon

The Christmas Thread

Bought my tree from the local man yesterday. Carried it home as it is only 1 1/2 ft tall :lol::lol: Melvin ashe is known, id now in a metal bucket on my coffee table 8) Lights and dec are on!

I put up the outside lights yesterday; on a timer so I can spread Christmas joy when I am away :wink::lol:

All presents are bought and in a pile on the spare bed. Need to wrap now, my favourite part. Cards still need to be written!

Put my tree up very early this year. I normally do it when the kids break up, but a) we are away for crimbo and b) I wanted it up for my birthday party the weekend just gone :D Only think is, one set of my new lights have packed up! I tried changing the fuse bulb, but can't seem to get it to go in the bulb holder bit :x I'll try the plug fuse, just to be sure, but I think it may be a fundamental problem with these lights (read reviews after buying :( ) I hope its the plug fuse, otherwise its a lot of decorations to take off and replace :cry:

Other than that, I am so not ready for Christmas this year. It started out well, just sort of petered out ....... I'm sure panic will set in soon :anxious:

Wanted to put the decs up today, said to mum wait until i've finished cleaning the chickens then we'll do it together. Came in and it's basically all done :( Was looking forward to playing christmassy music and putting things on the tree! Oh well...

Wanted to put the decs up today, said to mum wait until i've finished cleaning the chickens then we'll do it together. Came in and it's basically all done :( Was looking forward to playing christmassy music and putting things on the tree! Oh well...

Thats a shame, i remember when i used to help my mum and she did it one year on her own i was gutted :(

Today, I am trying to finish off my crafty secret santa gift then some mulled wine will be required to help me write out cards :P

You can come and help with mine! :lol: I have to do it all on my own, and I'm a bit daunted - got the tree today, but I think I'll leave it in the garden for a few days so I can tidy up the space for it and maybe hang a few other decorations up.

I've been to a friend's this afternoon for 'Christmas Wrapping' - we all gather round her huge dining table, sing carols and wrap our presents. Did about 2/3 of the wrapping, so I've got something to pile underneath the tree when it's up! Unfortunately the rest of the presents still need to be made ... :whistle:

Put our tree up on Saturday only to find that about 8 of the bulbs had gone in our lights. Went everywhere to try to get some spare bulbs, but seems these days they only sell those LED sets of lights. Did buy a set of them but they are so dim that my tree kind of mirrors my frame of mind lately :?

I just cannot for the life of me get into the Christmas spirit, try as I might. I have such a busy week this week as we have a colleague of my OH coming to stay for the week, plus it's my son's Birthday tomorrow. We have our granddaughter staying over on Wednesday night as my son and daughter in law are going to watch Kazabian at the 02. Thursday we have our works Christmas party at a very lovely venue and Friday I have an hour and a half root canal appointment.

My Christmas cake still needs icing. I got as far as getting the cake and marzipan out, then couldn't be bothered to do it and put it all back again. My OH thinks I should just pull myself together and give a thought for people worse off than me, like his sister who has been in hospital since the end of July and will most likely still be in there till the end of February. I just wish I could snap out of this awful feeling and start to feel Christmassy, but don't know where to start :?

My Christmas cake still needs icing. I got as far as getting the cake and marzipan out, then couldn't be bothered to do it and put it all back again. My OH thinks I should just pull myself together and give a thought for people worse off than me, like his sister who has been in hospital since the end of July and will most likely still be in there till the end of February. I just wish I could snap out of this awful feeling and start to feel Christmassy, but don't know where to start :?

I am sure that you are not alone, I have certainly felt like that a couple of times recently including yesterday when we set out to finish the shopping, but a couple of lovely people who served us well, later and a latte in Starbucks and I felt so much better. :D Just take everything one step at a time, make lists to help you and enjoy the party on Thursday without thinking about Friday, One day at a time. ((hugs))

Just spent an hour wrapping more presents then got them all out from their hiding places around the house and set them into piles to see if one daughter had more than the others, does anyone need more etc. Seem to have bought far too much for daughter number one and not enough for daughter number three. Will swap the labels on a couple of number ones and give them to three :lol: Also did another Amazon order, four books for number three. That ought to do it :clap:

Decs are up so no dusting for 3 weeks as cant be bothered moving every thing. :shameonu:

Strange - slightly spooky - for several years after we moved here I couldnt find our nativity set and posted on the forum re Mary and Joe and co going AWOL - today was rummaging in the Christmas decs box which has been emptied and filled for 5 yrs and there they were! i was gobsmacked as I have emptied and tidied the box - now just got to blue tack the angel above the scene (she never had legs not sure if angels do!) I was so pleased as OH and I bought this on our first Christmas as a married couple in our own home complete with baby. I am puzzled as to where they have been all this time. :anxious:

Also asked my YS of 10 if his lovely tutor had any animals as I had wondered what to buy her as a little gift - I dont know if she drinks so settled on a calendar of British wildlife ( his music teacher was easy - a dog calendar as she has a dog) YS said he'd not see a cat or dog but she had 4 spiders :anxious. I asked if they were in a cage (visions of tarantulas roaming the house) and he said "no on the wall" - yup you guessed it he meant the good old British arachnid. Good job I didnt turn up with a calendar of exotic spiders - she might have fainted with shock :lol: Kids :whistle:

Well I finally got around to putting the marzipan on my Christmas cake. I managed to roll it out so thinly that I had enough to cover the top and sides twice :lol:

OH came home in the afternoon with 2 boxes of ordinary white fairy lights that he found in Tescos. I hadn't thought of looking there. So I spent a couple of hours taking everything off the tree and putting it all back again with the new lights. Looks so much better :D

My lights don't work!

A pleasant morning putting up the decs has all gone to pot!

Pants!

I hope you manage to get some spare bulbs or at least a set that lights up adequately. I'd be wary of a lot of the cheap B&Q multi function LED ones as my experience has been that they are not bright enough and the multi function button doesn't work :?

If you need some new lights, I bought some static warm white LED lights (240 lights) from Homebase this year and I'm really pleased with them.

I'll have a look when I take back my static coloured ones I bought from there. One set don't work. I've changed the fuse bulb and plug fuse, tried all the lights on the string. But nothing doing. Such a shame as they are lovely colours :( We usually have white lights, but I find it makes the tree look a bit cold, which is why I went for the colours this year. I have taken off all the decorations and both sets of lights to return, especially after reading reviews of them. Wish I had done so first. We have plain white lights wound up the trunk so you get a bit twinkle inside the branches, so I may just go back to white ones for the outer branches.

Thanks for tip.

Argos has completely sold out of all lights it seems :( So not sure what luck I am going to have anywhere else...

But have found an old set of coloured lights, that aren't as nice as white, but a LOT better than no lights at all! Tree nearly done - while singing along to Mama Mia as I have lost my Christmas CD... I'm sure it will turn up!