Cinnamon

The Christmas Thread

I was going to go to M&S on Christmas Eve and pick up a nice trifle. Mentioned it to my sister, who cooks everything from scratch, she was appalled that I could even consider buying one when a home made one is so much easier and tastes so much nicer. So now I have to go off to the shops again and get all the ingredients for that as I doubt M&S would sell vanilla pods. Sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut :?

There's no way on earth I'd be making one if I was you. Tell her to make one if she's that bothered. Cheeky mare.

I was going to go to M&S on Christmas Eve and pick up a nice trifle. Mentioned it to my sister, who cooks everything from scratch, she was appalled that I could even consider buying one when a home made one is so much easier and tastes so much nicer. So now I have to go off to the shops again and get all the ingredients for that as I doubt M&S would sell vanilla pods. Sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut :?

What a nerve :shock: I am afraid I would be out tracking down the worst possible bought trifle to give her - if she didn't like it she could always wear it :lol:

I agree, how very rude!

My sister doesn't cook (or do anything domestic for that matter!) her children live on microwaved freezer food, which I won't have in my house. Luckily that means that they don't visit any more... well, that and the lack of TV/computer games :D

I dont have a microwave ... well its in the loft. No microwave food in my house.

I'm watching 'The Nutcracker'. I love it if there's ballet and opera on at Christmas. One year there was loads of Mozart.

When the kids were younger we used to always watch the Royal Institute Christmas Lectures. Those sorts of things and a good disaster movie are my ideal Christmas TV - and dear OH has just wandered in with a musical Christmas biscuit tin with chocolate cookies in it. Happy me.

Well we have visited the relatives cuddled the little nephews, caught their cold and tummy bug (mildly thankfully so far) OH went to work today for the last day and I spent 2 hours working from home and the rest of the time cleaning. Children have been secretly ferretting about in the kitchen and various trays and pots are sitting in the bulging fridge with mystery contents :anxious: We had a 2 hour Scrabble game tonight with a visit from a friend half way, going to see a local theatre production of the Borrowers tomorrow afternoon then church at 11.30pm then it will be Christmas :dance: Oh and all of the presents are wrapped and food bought. :D

Bah humbug, Waitrose Online delivered last night- no Prosecco, no turkey foil, no puff pastry, no kitchen rolls, no red cabbage. :evil: An unscheduled trip to Waitrose proper at 8.00 am this morning enabled me to buy all of these, so I'm baffled as to why they weren't available in the online shop, however I did pick up Delia's 18th Century stuffing for £2.50 instead of £9.99 - I had no intention of buying it, but a bargain is a bargain! I won't be using Waitrose Online again, who on earth thought McCains Chunky Chips would be a suitable substitute for Aunt Bessies' roast poatoes?

Today I need to make mince pies, prep the veg, and finish a bit of sewing.

who on earth thought McCains Chunky Chips would be a suitable substitute for Aunt Bessies' roast poatoes?

:lol::lol:

Got cake decorated yesterday also did an early trip to Morrisons to get the ordered turkey and salmon. It looks nice so fingers crossed it tastes ok. Need to give the kitchen and dining room a good clean and write out lists for timing tomorrow. I have a jumper to finish knitting (it may not get finished :lol: ) and a drinks and nibbles do later at a friend's house.

I would also like to wish all my Omlet friends a peaceful and happy Christmas. X

Finalised the christmas day menu with a quick trip to the local co-op to see what was on offer. Found some half price free range chicken breasts so starters will be a spiced chicken salady concoction. Got oranges and lemons to do Nigel Slaters mincemeat trifle for pud and main course will be pot roast beef with all the trimmings. It's all coming together nicely now. Just need to do the mountain of ironing on the dining room table so that we can actually sit at the table to eat! :lol:

YS has just gone out to start his Christmas shopping. :roll::lol:

I thought mine was bad when he announced he was off to Leicester for late night shopping on Wednesday, then rang very late still there to say he couldn't find DVD for his sister and could I get it from Amazon, well ordered it that night and it came yesterday.

I am just about ready final house tidying to do and then I want to clean out the (purple eglu) and (cube purple) . Then it is into the preparations for the cooking :D

Chrissie