Cinnamon

The Christmas Thread

With the winds we have been having I feel our outside Christmas lights are like the Grand Old Duke of York....and when they were up they were up, and when they were down they were down and when they were only half way up.......that is how they are just now hanging and swinging about by a couple of clips :evil: ......but I am not going to try to put them back up just now. I will just need to keep my fingers crossed that they are not in next doors garden tomorrow :roll:

We are having exactly the same problem with our outside lights, LolaLayla. When I took the dog out for a walk first thing this morning I found the lights along the front of our house (hooked onto the guttering) half down and swinging about :lol: It's still blowing a gale here, so no going up the ladder tonight to fix the lights, they will have to swing about for another night until the wind drops (we live on a hill so goodness knows when that will be!)

I enjoyed the Christmas Tree thread last year as I am nosey and like to see other people's decorations. Would a Christmas Tree thread be ok or should we pop photos on here?

One of the kids leaving to work in Austria today so feeling a little sad. Snowboarding coach so a fantastic job, we had Christmas party yesterday which was great fun. Also got my cards finished but too late for foreign ones. I lost my address book and only found it yesterday under the computer cupboard which I was only cleaning because BT man is coming this morning. Will send them anyway.

With the winds we have been having I feel our outside Christmas lights are like the Grand Old Duke of York....and when they were up they were up, and when they were down they were down and when they were only half way up.......that is how they are just now hanging and swinging about by a couple of clips :evil: ......but I am not going to try to put them back up just now. I will just need to keep my fingers crossed that they are not in next doors garden tomorrow :roll:

I'd love it if it were just my lights falling down. With this wind, it'll be my lean to conservatory at this rate :(

I got 2 identical sets of soft white LED lights yesterday,which are perfect as they are battery operated & have a timer.

Spent ages setting them up in my porch,turned them on....................to find one set is that blue light & one that orangey light.

Tried swapping the batteries around,but nothing worked (I loath seeing different white lights!)

So,back I went today to swap them & they have sold out :roll::twisted::twisted::twisted:

So I ended up buying another string of 160 lights & am going to have to see which of the other 2 sets matches it (or I will also lose out on the £8 I spent on batteries),& return the one that doesn't.

A very expensive exercise,all told :roll:

I don't know what's happened - I was doing really well with the Christmas preparations, and really enjoying it too - a bad cold last week set me back a bit, and suddenly I am back where I am most years - cards not finished, decorations not up, and feeling stressed. :( And I've stupidly planned to make lots of presents this year, and slipped badly behind.

I have a free weekend - nothing booked in except a massage on Sunday, and babysitting for a friend on Saturday night - so I'm going to try and get some decs up, and then get on with the sewing - and if I can't finish it, well, there's still time to shop next week!

I still haven't got much done - work and home are both far too busy. What really annoys me is that I'm the only one at work with a school age child, yet everyone else books hols off during the school holiday time and one person in particular books the 2 weeks before christmas off every year.. in fact she's just booked it for next year :evil: Thus I never get any time at all off before christmas and everything is last minute. I wouldn't mind but it's just her and her OH at c'mas - I have 10 people to cater for :roll:

I have sent my e-cards though :D

That is a bit much :?

We aren't allowed to take the 2 weeks before Christmas at all,but I guess that is reasonable as it is VERY busy then :lol:

Work have phoned asking me to come in twice this week already :roll:

As I explained to them..I do have a life (& a half decorated house that looks like a tip & needs sorting before our guests arrive!)

with my work (refrigeration) its very seasonal and the suppliers all closed down over xmas. Over christmas everyone bar me and another girl is off. You need two people in the office but was told that we were working part days, we were told this several times. turns out this isnt the case now, and i had made plans around this fact :( to make things worse we both are going to oncall over xmas/new year so we will be technically working through anyway (on call for no pay might i add...)

all very disapointing. i did kick off, so the MD is doing one of my days but i am going to book days off next year

anyway... off to the trafford centre tonight hopefully to get most of the shopping done, then tomorrow going to wine merchants and local brewery so should be all done (fingers crossed)

I sympathise with Olly. I too was feeling rather organised but work has got in the way and I have not written any cards, marzipanned and iced any cakes, put up all the decorations, finished wrapping or made half of the Christmas crafty stuff i had planned . . . where did all the time go? I feel Christmas stressy!!!!

anyway... off to the trafford centre tonight hopefully to get most of the shopping done, then tomorrow going to wine merchants and local brewery so should be all done (fingers crossed)

Went to plan :) so just need wine merchants, brewery and local garden centre. Next week will call in at Starbucks and get a few packets of their Xmas blend coffee! :) done properly then I reckon

I'm not stressed - yet. Christmas is sorted apart from finding where I've hidden all the presents and wrapping them!

However on Tuesday the workmen are coming - we are having all the front windows and the porch double glazing replaced, and one window is being enlarged. It means I have to clear a space next to each window so it can be done and empty sons room and move him in with his brother as it is his window being enlarged. And I'm working every day this week. Aah, should be a fun week :?

Crumbs, Snowy - that's a great time of year to be having the windows done! How lovely to have it all warm and done for Christmas though.

I am working away on my craft projects - not the Secret Santa, that got finished at midnight earlier in the week. :roll: Decorations must be done today,and like Cinnamon, my tree is still in the garden! I'm still battling to get my Christmas mojo back, just don't know where it's gone. I'm not feeling stressed now, just suddenly unenthusiastic. Carols on the CD player, maybe that will help.

The children really wanted one of those Gingerbread house making kits that were everywhere last year. I can't find one anywhere this year...I suggested making our own, but they insisted it wouldn't be the same :roll:

My nana's been trying to find one too, they sold them in Aldi but not a sniff this year... so strange.

I feel decidedly unChristmassy at the moment, been unwell since Wednesday so nothing has been done. House is a mess, still have presents to get. Think I will stick Elf on this afternoon to cheer me up. :D

I missed out on the Club disco last night and am now missing the Xmas paddle and lunch. Typical. Being a housewife I don't have many Christmas parties to go to so its a shame. Hopefully I'll be well enough to do the charity Father Christmas float on Tuesday as we're going to the pub afterwards :D

The children really wanted one of those Gingerbread house making kits that were everywhere last year. I can't find one anywhere this year...I suggested making our own, but they insisted it wouldn't be the same :roll:

I have seen them in past years in Ikea...don't know if you have one near you or if they have them this year :?

I feel decidedly unChristmassy at the moment, been unwell since Wednesday so nothing has been done. House is a mess, still have presents to get.

That's rotten luck :( Hope you feel better soon.

Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys etc haven't had them in this year. We finally managed to find one the Original Factory Shop if any you are still searching.

On the way back I stopped for diesel. The lad in front of me was about to buy jump leads for his car that had died (he was relaying this to a friend o the phone!) I've been told never to use jump leads on my car as it would muck up the electrics so I tapped him on the shoulder & asked him if he wanted mine. It turns out that he is literally just back from serving in the desert & only had cards or Yemeni(?) money on him. I felt really good for being able to help him :D