Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....2

Hope he will be ok. It was a good job that he was spotted by your OH. A few more hours in the cold would have not done him any good.

I wonder how he ended up outside your house in the condition that he was. He was lucky to be outside should a caring house.

Well done to you and your OH chickencam.

Chrissie

Tango is in the doghouse this afternoon. I took her out for a walk and thought we'd try somewhere new. All was going well until we hit a patch of woodland and off she went :roll: When there was no sign of her 45 minutes later and I am besides myself with panic, I called hubby to help me come and look. 15 minutes later my phone rings - he'd found her sitting by my car cold, wet and distressed (to which my immediate response was 'Good' :twisted: ). That's actually twice this week she's taken herself off exploring whilst I've stood freezing cold, waiting for her to come back, so my patience has rather worn thin.

Back to basics with training methinks and she'll just have to stay onlead unless we're somewhere secure. Naughty girl. Anyone got any good tips for a selectively deaf dog who is no longer food motivated on a walk and loves to disappear off hunting?

Tango is in the doghouse this afternoon. Anyone got any good tips for a selectively deaf dog who is no longer food motivated on a walk and loves to disappear off hunting?

Is she squeaky toy motivated, being a terrier? If so, you could get a really fab, (in her eyes), new squeaky thing, that she can only play with occasionally and when you make it REALLY fun. If you keep that in your pocket on walks, perhaps you could squeak it if she looks like she may be about to do a runner, and then put her on a (flexi?) lead before she actually does scarper. I'd also do a zero tolerance policy - any feint hint of not listening or looking like she might leg it, and then STRAIGHT ON THE LEAD, telling her in a firm voice that is what you are doing.

I was taught a really good trick by Guide Dogs to get back a naughty puppy who liked playing 'catch me' . I would crouch down and scratch through the ground, grass, leaves and pretend to be fascinated. Without fail, the dog comes up to see what you're looking at and you can grab her collar. It didn't matter how many times we did it, Patsy would come and help us - funny dog.

Obviously this only works on dogs that are keeping one eye on you.

Tango is in the doghouse this afternoon. Anyone got any good tips for a selectively deaf dog who is no longer food motivated on a walk and loves to disappear off hunting?

I'd also do a zero tolerance policy - any feint hint of not listening or looking like she might leg it, and then STRAIGHT ON THE LEAD, telling her in a firm voice that is what you are doing.

I think you're spot on with this - it's my fault really, she'd been getting so well behaved that I'd relaxed a bit and she's gradually tested the boundaries more and more and has been a real little demon these last few weeks in particular. All the lovely spring time smells I guess that need investigating! I think zero tolerance is definitely the way to go.

She's not squeaky toy motivated but she is tennis ball obsessed. She actually recalls pretty well to a whistle with a tennis ball reward, but when she's in hunting mode - not a chance! I also try not to over use the whistle so that it is a proper treat when I recall her. I think I've just got to stay alert and catch her before she goes disappearing. Thanks for the suggestions!

Crikey Chicken deficient, your house smells much nicer than mine. I'm coming over! :lol:

I have to admit, this is a new thing. I have recently turned over a new leaf, having got bored of listening to him indoors complaining that he wanted a 'real wife'. I'm really getting into the cooking, but I draw the line at ironing!

You're not far away though - it took us about half an hour to get to Rutland Water last week, for an extremely wet and muddy walk!

p.s. the house more commonly smells of guinea pig and wet dog!

p.p.s. the wet dog isn't always water wet - the little one basted herself like a turkey in fox **** recently and after 4 shampooings, she still doesn't smell quite right

Ah yes, the delightful pong of fox poo. It's just too irresistible isn't it? :vom: Tango is not content with just looking like a fox, she likes to smell like one too - gross! The smell never really washes out does it?

Sounds like a lovely spring walk at Rutland Water in the mud and rain! :lol: If you're ever over this way again feel free to let me know if you want a small, badly behaved mongrel to join you for a walk :anxious:

Re fox poo, try rubbing tomato ketchup into it, then washing with biological laundry liquid - works for my ginger numpty!

I'd heard about the ketchup idea, but forgot to take it up to the bathroom with me. I had to wrap her in a bin bag to get her through the house, (not her head obviously!), as she was completely and utterly covered in it and still dripping. I didn't dare leave her in the bath to get the ketchup - I thought the risk of her redecorating upstairs was too great!

I'm glad to hear the ketchup works though - I'll use it next time :roll:

Re fox poo, try rubbing tomato ketchup into it, then washing with biological laundry liquid - works for my ginger numpty!

I'd heard about the ketchup idea, but forgot to take it up to the bathroom with me. I had to wrap her in a bin bag to get her through the house, (not her head obviously!), as she was completely and utterly covered in it and still dripping. I didn't dare leave her in the bath to get the ketchup - I thought the risk of her redecorating upstairs was too great!

I'm glad to hear the ketchup works though - I'll use it next time :roll:

I tie them up outside by the garden tap, get the ketchup and do a rinse with that outside before we go in.

Sounds like a lovely spring walk at Rutland Water in the mud and rain! :lol: If you're ever over this way again feel free to let me know if you want a small, badly behaved mongrel to join you for a walk :anxious:

Great idea! Maybe we could organise a bit of an Omlet dog walking gathering at Rutland, for a sunny :shock: day?

We had a walk planned at East Carlton Park (near Corby, I'm guessing that can't be a million miles from you if you're 1/2 hour from Rutland Water?) for January but it was somewhat rained off! When the weather picks up a bit it will probable be rearranged so please come and join us!

I don't know about you, but I don't find Rutland Water terribly good for dog walking as dogs are meant to be kept on leads plus there's usually cyclists whizzing around trying to break the land speed record! Then only place I tend to walk at RW is across the dam when the sheep are not there - which is only about 6 weeks of the year!

We've been to East Carlton before. It would be nice to join the next Omlet dog walk there - thanks. I might even manage to get him indoors to little boy sit - his recall is far worse than the dogs!

I have so far struggled finding nice walks round Rutland - places that look like a good bet on the map prove tricky when you actually get there. We did a nice walk on the Hambleton peninsula once though.

Give me strength :roll:

R, who was seeing a lovely boy who had loads in common with her, was really lovely and respectful of her, has finished with him :notalk: It seems that she was given advice or fed rumours by a 'friend' who had just split up with her boyfriend and had ulterior motives. The poor lad was devastated as he thought the world of her.

It was just after her birthday too and he bought her a lovely present.

I have told her that she's acted rashly and that I'm not proud of the way she's behaved. I guess at this age, when they (think they) know more than us, we can only advise, then stand back and watch them make mistakes and hopefully live with or learn by the consequences. I did some dumb things when I was a teenager, but i hope I didn't hurt anyone like that.

Clare, we can only advise...if they choose to take the advice that's their decision...it's hard, but they have to learn by their own mistakes...hopefully she will see the error of her actions and deal with it accordingly....and I know this response will come back to haunt me when I have a "teen" rant :wink:

Love to you both x