Cooks

Hysterectomy

Nice weather, so you can sit outside with the chickens while you are recovering :D

I didn't need lactulose, or peppermint drinks (you will get trapped wind after the op :oops: , I found it tolerable but one woman in my ward thought she was having a heart attack), but I found a little step stool quite handy in the bathroom, to put your feet on :wink:

Returning to work can be variable, depending on what you do, travel distance etc. Although you do need to rest, you do also need to push yourself a bit as that will actually encourage your body to heal quicker.

I managed to get back to part time office work after 4 weeks. Yes i was tired, but I was back to normal pretty much at 8 weeks post op. A lot depends on your motivation - being self employed and unable to earn anything was mine :wink:

You will get lots of aches and pains and niggles, but they are all part of the healing process and the main thing is not to get anxious about them. Your wound is NOT going to pop open if you overdo it! Keep on top of the pain.

Post op wind pain is horrid! :( But it soon goes :D

The biggest problem seems to be hormone related if the ovaries are going as well - again I was lucky and had minimal symptoms, but some people did seem to suffer much more.

I am still scared to bits but am trying to keep positive about it ... Trying...

They are unsure whether they will take the ovaries, however the thought is not unless they see anything untoward.

Perfectly natural to be scared :) I was a mess in hospital, I don't like strangers around me and had to have the curtain drawn round the bed and a sick pot one visiting time :oops: I also had to have a sedative on the second night as I didn't sleep a wink, I wanted to get out so badly. I couldn't look at my own wound, the nurse said she didn't know how I had got to the hospital :lol: I even begged the surgeon to let me go home as I lived alone at the time, and they weren't sure I could manage and look after myself. I did fine, even cooked tea for mum and I two days after coming home.

They will certainly try and preserve your ovaries if you are under 50, they prefer to give you as much chance of a later menopause as possible.

I hate hospitals too Cooks, but was lucky enough in our smaller one to get a side room, which was really appreciated. Please do make the most of the rest while you are in there, they are usually careful to not let you out until you are able to cope (and have opened your bowels!). The ward I was in had a lovely courtyard garden and it was summer, so I made a point of getting up and wandering out to sit in the sun, the exercise certainly helped with the recovery.

Are you doing your core and pelvic floor exercises?

I have not been told to do any exercises, but they mentioned I will have to post op.

Yes as I am 40 (they kept calling me a young lady) :lol: they have said that the ovaries would most likely stay which to be honest suits me unless there is a reason to take them which outweighs the reason to keep them..

I will be in Addenbrookes Clare, great big bustling teaching hospital, nothing small about that :lol: but it's 5/10mins from home.

I am planning to be out ASAP and they know they cannot wait for me to open my bowels as my bowel does not go on order :lol:

I will get my bag ready over the next few weeks with items I want to take in, and new jammies etc face wipes, magazines etc.

Hospital is scary - but lot of lovely omleteers will be rooting for you

Having been in last week, my top tip is to take plenty of wipes (or maybe that's just me being a bit OCD :lol: ) and your preferred distraction (eg stuff to read to take your mind off things)

All the best

:D Happy healing vibes Cooks :D

Deep breaths - you will be fine, though natural to be scared, I was too. You will be soon tucked up at home being waited on - DO NOT be a martyr - ask for pain relief and help (and lactulose :wink: )

We are all behind you - any post op queries just ask, but only if you have your feet up :shameonu:

Best wishes xxxxxxx