Chortle Chook

What do you say to your chooks 1st thing in the am?

Brilliant thread, you're all mad! Every day I think why do I have the same conversation with them :lol:

'Rise and shine you lazy lot, It's a lovely day' (in pitch black). 'now what are you going to do today then? and it's no good mumbling at me cos it's cabbage again. How about cleaning this run up yourselves you've watched me enough' 'Ok come on then'(in a groany voice) as Budgie climbs on my hand to have a lift down from the cube.'

as I go it's 'See you girls, behave yourselves and we'll have a good play this afternoon and don't talk about me when I'm gone' (I return in pitch black and continue the ramble as I shut the doors and open the lid to check them, to their disgruntled chunterings) :lol:

We really are a mad lot and I now think it is nice to know that each morning, all of us are having our mad chick chats!

I say "morning Pickles - morning Pepper" and they both slide down the cube ladder at the same time and land with a "ta da" so they get various points out of ten each morning for their arrival in the run :lol: Then, as I put the feeders back in, I get a cuddle from each of them and I tell them what horrible things they are! Meanwhile, little Bonnie is in her Eglu shouting out behind me. So two minutes later - it starts all over again for her.

My neighbour says she loves the chickens, as she has never had such entertainment first thing in the morning - from me! She didn't specify which bit she enjoyed the most - whether it is the talking, the slipping about in the dark, bumping my head on various parts of the roof over the cube, chasing foxes away, juggling newly laid eggs or the be good and behave speech they get before I leave for work :oops:

"Buenos dias mis chicas, como estan?" (OH is Chilean) as I walk down the garden path to the raucous clamouring for food and to be let out to free range.

At night I do a head count (using a torch) to make sure everyone is in bed. When I lock the run I say "Night night. Sleep tight. Don't let the red mite bite".

It's reassuring to know lots of you have similar little rituals. Whilst it may not be accepted "normal" behaviour, there is safety in numbers. :lol:

It's usually just "hiya kids, you alright?". This morning it was followed by "Alabama Whorley where are you? Alabama? Bama? ALABAAAAAMMMMAAAAAAAAA? Kylie & Queen Victoria, have you seen your sister?" Little so-and-so had obviously escaped before bedtime last night and I found her chomping in the garden :roll:

We're all bonkers, aren't we.... Mind, I had a suspicion it wasn't just me... :lol: ... Every evening, when I make my way down the garden at dusk to shut the girls' door, I think of all of you, doing the same thing as me, at the same time... It's like a mass chickenery vigil!

"Morning girls, morning Sid, morning Duncan, morning Spongebob, morning Silkies, morning chicks, morning Gladiator"..

Oh & "brekkie piggies, come on Flo before Tilly eats it all". :lol:

At night it's "night night sweethearts thank you for your eggies, Night Duncan ( as he doesn't go in until you say night night) & night piggies".

Wouldn't change it for the world.

Emma.x

Does anyone speak, before entering their girls' run, so you don't make them jump? When I'm checking on mine at night, before I shut their door, I always say...'It's only me, girls' before I step into the run. They always answer me, and if I'm a bit early, one of them will pop their head out, presumably to make sure there isn't a midnight feast in the offing (or afternoon tea, at this time of year! :roll: )

this morning i said 'i'd stay in there if i were you girlies' since it was raining and really windy still.

then when i poo pick the nest i say 'this isnt an egg'.

when i tuck them in i say 'night night girlies' and im still in the process of a sneaky stroke before i shut the door as im trying to get them used to me still.

i do think of everyone else especially in the morning, potentially going out with a raincoat over jammies like i did this morning! mad or what!

Well before I changed the surface in the cube run something like" Morning Monty and girls" Or if I was a little late :oops: "Hold your horses and quit griping I'm coming!!" :roll:

Since changing to wood chip " Come on Monty down you come and show your ladies it's all ok!" :lol:

I thought wellies, pjs, robe and a waterproof were our chicken keeping morning uniform!?!?! :lol::wink:

on a work morning i am found in suit trousers with a fleece on the top half, hoping that there arent any stray poos which i might brush with a trouser leg. the joys of working full time eh. also means the girls have to entertain themselves in the week as i dont get home before they go to bed :(

Clothing - now there's a topic! This morning it was a leopard fleecey onesie with work boots and a coat! Lol. Weekdays just now it is work dress (sympathise with the poo avoidance hayleybug), earlier in the year it was pjs and boots and there was an awkward period in the autumn where it got light perfectly timed for me to do a boots, undies and strategic coat - not good! Ha ha :lol:

Loving people's replies - what a great thread :D

I always ask the girls if they had a good sleep, or I apologise for keeping them, as sometimes I am a few minutes late letting them out and they like to 'tell me off' :lol: During the day...sometimes I even have a little sing whilst doing chicken jobs if I have a tune in my head - I can't sing to save my life, but I know my girls won't judge me lol :D

x

In the evening it is "Quiet now girls. Sort yourselves out . . . Do you want me to come and place you :shameonu: ? . . . I didn't think so . . . night night" eventually there will be silence.

As for a picture of me at open up time . . . don't think you'd want to see that especially the view of bum (mine not the chooks') sticking out of the door and getting wet in the rain as I do the poo pick :lol: