Chortle Chook

What do you say to your chooks 1st thing in the am?

Goodness knows what my neighbours think of my ramblings to my lot (and I have been caught out by finding a neighbour looking very amused)

I usually yell girls grily girls and boy then they all get a name call 'Connie coo, Prilly pru, flissy, marliyn and Jude' The calling of Jude does often start in a very badly sung 'Hey Jude' .... I like to sing to annoy my 10 yr old daughter not sure if it annoys the chickens mind you in the morning all they care about is food. I then ask the if they have laid me any egglings ... Then on my trip back to the house Connie usually follows (they are FR at the moment) she looks at the open kitchen door looks at me of course I can read her mind to which promptly tell her that there is only one type of chicken allowed in my kitchen and she doent fit the bill for that .... prompts a step forward from her (clearly my tone of voice is saying to her blah blah blah ...come inside with me) I then point to the freezer and close the door leaving her to do her cute look at me expression

Its a good job they are chcikens as I expect they would have had sectioned by now but I love them all sooooooo much and the best thing is they dont answer back ....

Morning, you lot! Still on the nest box are we? Right then, out we go... (followed by turfing a broody Orpington bantam off the nest box and shooing the 2 Pekins out and shutting the Eglu door) Yes, I know... but it's no use chuntering at me, it's not like you're paying any rent at the moment, is it? Yes, I heard you the first time you miserable lot, but you might as well eat something while I top up the water. And you might as well have a drink while you're here, because I'm off to work in a minute and although you're being grotty I usually quite like you so I'd prefer it if you didn't starve yourself to death just because you've decided to be a load of broody bantams! Had enough to eat and drink now? OK, I'm opening the door again. Oh, you're back on the nest box, there's a surprise... Right, I'll see you later, you horrible lot... :lol:

Usually followed by me muttering "Bloomin' chickens" all the way back to the door.. :oops:

As you can tell, I've got a broody bunch at the moment! I do love them dearly, little terrors... :D

I always say thank you to mine for the eggs (if I get any :roll: )

I thank mine as well, we're currently managing 1 to 4 a day from eight.

I also frequently tell Jet that she looks beautiful now she's put some feathers on (she's been a bit baldy all last year), and tell off Skye as she's supposed to be laying blue eggs and I haven't seen any since about September - or earlier!

None of this happens early in the morning though, unless I've shut them in for some reason. If they're shut away I can hear them stamping about and grumbling and I usually say something like, "yes, yes, I can hear you, I'm coming"

P

Update from my last post - they must have read it, cos this morning - my first perfect little egg laid on the lawn :clap: Now just got to work out who laid it and get them to use the nest box :?

Yay :-) hope they read this and produce many more. I am having bizzare images of our girls logging onto the omlet forum from their cubes ..... mind you if that really did happen im sure my 7 would start a thread 'My Mother is a complete and utter head case HELP !!!

Yay :-) hope they read this and produce many more. I am having bizzare images of our girls logging onto the omlet forum from their cubes ..... mind you if that really did happen im sure my 7 would start a thread 'My Mother is a complete and utter head case HELP !!!

Thanks Charly1979. Mine would be searching online for an automatic door opener and a sack of corn :lol:

Ah cluckfest, first egg!!! Very special......did you do the egg dance?!?! When my Molly (g.patridge pekin) laid her first egg she also laid it in the run :shock: So to encourage her to use the nestbox I popped a couple of "dummie eggs" in there, she soon got the haang of it!!

A word of warning from a fellow pekin keeper......watch out for broody behaviour!!! It didn't take my Molly long to go broody and she spent most of the summer broody on and off! She drove me SO mad I even let her hatch!!! :roll:

Enjoy your eggs...yummy!! :D

Ah cluckfest, first egg!!! Very special......did you do the egg dance?!?! When my Molly (g.patridge pekin) laid her first egg she also laid it in the run :shock: So to encourage her to use the nestbox I popped a couple of "dummie eggs" in there, she soon got the haang of it!!

A word of warning from a fellow pekin keeper......watch out for broody behaviour!!! It didn't take my Molly long to go broody and she spent most of the summer broody on and off! She drove me SO mad I even let her hatch!!! :roll:

Enjoy your eggs...yummy!! :D

Thanks mimi5, I'll keep an eye on the Pekins, though I think the !eggbrown! layer was Lacy, my silver laced Wyandotte, she is the most developed with the reddest face and seems to be eating more lately. Couldn't find an egg today, unless she has managed to hide it well or does it take a while to get into the routine :?: I have a couple of wooden eggs in the nest box, but they rarely go in there.

Didn't do the egg dance unless you count kicking myself for walking past it several times before I noticed it, but then as a novice hen keeper I never expected to find an egg on the lawn:!:

I'll keep an eye on the Pekins, though I think the !eggbrown! layer was Lacy, my silver laced Wyandotte, she is the most developed with the reddest face and seems to be eating more lately. Couldn't find an egg today, unless she has managed to hide it well or does it take a while to get into the routine :?: I have a couple of wooden eggs in the nest box, but they rarely go in there.

Ooops!! Oooh, just noticed you have an araucana....you'll be sure of her lovely blue eggs !eggblue! !! :D

Ooops!! Oooh, just noticed you have an araucana....you'll be sure of her lovely blue eggs !eggblue! !! :D

I very sadly lost my araucana this morning, she was losing weight and had a mucky bottom for a while, although she was eating, drinking and behaving normally. I was going to take her to the vet today, but she died snuggled up to her friends. I couldn't believe how fast they can go, she was running across the lawn yesterday. :(