soapdragon

What Do You NOT Want To Find Under The Tree?

I thought I was easy to buy for until I read this thread and now realise perhaps I'm not

Under the tree not for me:

Chocolates, I struggle enough with my weight and self restraint

Underwear (again!)

Anything for the kitchen, I like to make my own choices

Smellies (again!)

I must however be easier than my mother-in-law, the woman with everything. Very selective (fussy) and when you ask her what she would like she always says surprise me. The last 2 Christmas presents I have bought her she has taken back. Shall I surprise her this year with an ironing board cover (one of my friends husbands bought this for her last year, she didn't speak to him for days)

I must however be easier than my mother-in-law, the woman with everything. Very selective (fussy) and when you ask her what she would like she always says surprise me. The last 2 Christmas presents I have bought her she has taken back. Shall I surprise her this year with an ironing board cover (one of my friends husbands bought this for her last year, she didn't speak to him for days)

If she dislikes your presents so much, why don't you use the money you would have spent and give it to a charity, and give her a little card wrapped in a pretty box saying where the money went, that way she can't take it back and you will have donated to a good cause, and given her a surprise ( no pressie )

We did Christmas at the MILs this weekend. What did I say earlier on in this thread about Thorntons chocs & smellies? Yep I have a huge box of the Classic Collection from Thorntons :vom: Smellies :vom: A hideous brown/beige purse :vom: MIL redeemed herself with a lovely amethyst necklace from her recent trip to India. I love amethysts. We're trying hard to think of who we can give the chocolates to.....

A plastic crumb collector in the shape of a pig - had one of those from BIL last year. Tomorrow he is driving up from Bridport to deliver.......CHEESE! Better get some oatcakes in then! :lol:

Three years ago FIL gave us a small cylindrical wrapped pressie about 10 days before Christmas. We duly tucked this beside the tree. After a few days I began sniffing and asking if anyone else could smell anything funny only to be met with blank looks. It got worse. All became obvious on Christmas morning when we unwrapped ......... a small stilton! I was wafting lavender oil around for days :vom:

Oooh, this thread scares me a bit :anxious:

I'm HOPELESS at buying presents for people, I spend weeks and weeks agonising over what to buy, then agonising for weeks after the event about whether the recipient liked it or not. I'm all for asking people what they would like and doing my best to buy accordingly ... which implies I don't give gift buying any thought - but quite the opposite is true, I give it WAY too much thought ... :oops:

Have to say that I was VERY hurt earlier in the year when a birthday present I had bought was put on Ebay by the recipient within 24 hours of me giving it to them - wouldn't mind but I would happily have had the gift back, used it myself and given the recipient the money instead. She only got 1.99 for it on Ebay, I'd have bought it myself for that :?

Oh Bramble it was very thoughtless of the person to sell it so publicly.

Buying things that people like really is an art. Not sure I have it at all :anxious: but one friend of mine has it perfectly. Even in the days when she had not a bean to bless herself with, her presents always somehow said 'to you' 'from me' and I've still got them all no matter how small they were. :)