Cheeky Chooky

They're here!

Well, our gorgeous ginger girls are home :D

Eve was first out, followed by Holly. Eve seems the most gregarious at the moment...she poked her head out of the box as I carried them across the Car Park and she's the one who's been making contented purring sounds :angel:

P1020529.JPG

Ivy took a few minutes before deciding she'd come out for a look around :wink:

P1020539.JPG

P1020541.JPG

P1020565.JPG

That's a right old look huh! :lol:

P1020566.JPG

P1020591.JPG

And we got an egg as a thank you too :D We're not used to such big eggs these days...we both said "Oh its huge!" :lol:

P1020600.JPG

We're so glad that the sun is shining for the girl's first day of freedom too...perfik :D

Aaaah, bless their little hearts :angel: They always look sooo pale, when I look at my girls bright red combs and wattles and their lovely yellow legs. My girls free range every day for nearly all day, spending their time dustbathing and sunbathing, doing lots of "chickeny things" it's so sad to think of so many that never see the light of day or feel sunshine on their faces. A really big well done you for giving them their freedom :clap: I salute you all !!

They are lovely girls. Well done Cheeky Chooky for giving them a new life, they are such lucky girls to have found you :D

I love their large floppy combs.

Ex batts are so special, I only have one left now but she is the only one who is still laying, Agnes lays an egg every couple of days, such a clever girl.

How kind of your new girls to reward you with an egg.

Chrissie

Awww, thank you for such lovely comments :D

We had a lovely dark egg from Holly today...I watched her go into the (green eglu) and I could see her comb as she was re-arranging the Aubiose in the nest :angel: I helped her along by putting 2 fake eggs in there though :wink: OH saw them first thing this morning and he proudly said "Oooh we've got 2 eggs!" :roll::lol:

The pecking order is quickly taking shape...Eve has been :evil: today; I forgot how 'orrible they can be :roll: My Banty girls are such :angel:

I think it's all taking it's toll on Ivy too...she didn't look a very happy bunny today :(

So...that's where the batts are at :D

They are such lucky girls now, but what poor pale combs :( How amazing that they all come out though so quickly, just like that. They must be real brave girls :clap::clap:

What I don't understand is how the eggs from so called 'free range' birds are as pale as pale can be inside. OH bought some super market free range eggs the other day as my lot are free loading at the mo :evil: and the bought eggs were so pale I ended up giving them to the dogs. Couldn't quite fancy eating them. Don't commercial free range chooks get any greens?

What I don't understand is how the eggs from so called 'free range' birds are as pale as pale can be inside. OH bought some super market free range eggs the other day as my lot are free loading at the mo :evil: and the bought eggs were so pale I ended up giving them to the dogs. Couldn't quite fancy eating them. Don't commercial free range chooks get any greens?

I have often wondered the same thing... (for the same reasons... free loaders, lol, and buying eggs.) I can't imagine what their diet is, and can only assume that their 'free range' is very much different to our perception of it.

commercial free range are generally in big sheds with access to the outside being a small door. from what i understand of it most of the birds dont know the door is there or dont find the door or dont have any reason to go through it as food etc is indoors. so dont get any grass etc, im almost 100% positive they wont be given any greens as supplements to their indoor diet. :(