Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

:lol:

That is my most favourite place in London.  Thank you for the close-ups - they are awesome.  It was my favourite place inside too - the outside used to be black so I never really gave it much of a look!  What a joy to see the colourful bricks when all that muck was cleaned off, so now it's my favourite inside and out!

• Like 1

Over a long weekend last weekend, and half of today OH and I removed the rubbish little pre-formed above ground pond that was here when we moved in, and have dug a decent wildlife pond. Really hard work but pretty pleased with the outcome- can’t wait to see what it’ll look like in 12 months time!

959BD748-E118-4B8F-8A0C-03A1B7493978.jpeg

(Waiting for rain to finish filling it up)

218EC390-9364-445C-84AB-F03BF5FD4EE9.jpeg

Edited by mullethunter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

have water hawthorn in my pond. It's a native species and mine flowers all winter with a beautiful smell.

Thanks for this - I’ll look for one of those 😊

6 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

If you weren't so far away I'd bag that topsoil!

No chance DM! I have smart raised beds planned for my veg plot (well they won’t be smart because nothing I make ever is but they will be raised beds!). I was pleasantly surprised to find topsoil almost to the full depth, then just granite decomposing to sandy stuff underneath which dug out relatively easily (usually around here you meet granite boulder at a few inches!) and will mix well with the top soil.

48 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

Wow, amazing pic! How are your 'Japanese' family? Has the baby arrived yet? 

Not quite. Very close now but I think I'll have to wait to see him. I've had some lovely food here. Steamed buns, soup curry which is a big hearty meal with every colour of veg and a meal called shabu shabu. We're going to visit a tofu factory where it's made with fresh spring water. I had a lot of fun going round a supermarket. 

Loving the pics and food info from Japan, and the new pond.  I got back from India last night. We went round Rajasthan for 2 weeks. My first time in India. I loved it, and have developed a taste for masala chai. I've never been a tea drinker in my life! 

I like this picture because it's colourful. I mostly took photos without people in, which is a shame!  OH has some. I'll have to go back and take some more! x

20181108_101606.jpg

Edited by redhotchick
typing errors!
  • Like 3

That photo of Japan reminds me of Scotland!  Not the volcano bit obviously, just the fact its a big mountain, shrouded in cloud with ordinary houses at the foot and a telegraph pole!  You must be having a lovely time, seeing Japan through family eyes, not just on a quick trip as a visitor.

Colour, colour, colour - just the thing as I look out of the window for yet another day of incessant rain!  That must have been a great visit, getting a blast of another culture and weather just as we settle into late autumn.

Thanks for the photos, both!

• Like 1

Love the photos, I've been to both countries and loved them both!

I've just been home for 12 days and been super busy. Met us with four vet friends who graduated last year, spent 5 days in Ireland visiting Dublin and Galway where my Grandad was born and then attended a Zoo Vet conference this weekend where I learnt lots and made some new contacts :D 
Flew back to uni at 5:45 this morning so feeling pretty tired today!

Galway.jpg

• Like 3

I had a curious day in London today. I wanted to visit the crypts of ancient churches in the square mile. I only managed St Brides and All Hallows by the Tower. I didn't really appreciate or remember how easily distracted I am by curious alleys so we (OH and me) found places we didn't know existed. It was a very dark, grey day so really difficult to get a nice photo but I thought you might like the story behind this. Apparently a baker was inspired by the steeple of St Brides to bake the first ever tiered wedding cake. How true that is I don't know but it's a great tale. The best thing about St Brides is that you can see London's history from Roman times. 

DSC07908-01.jpeg

DSC07903.JPG

• Like 1

Well at last - 18 months after my father died I have finally sold his 60's semi in Leicestershire. Unfortunatley due to shoddy workmanship the whole of the ground floor had to be repaired - it was like a spiders web full of holes. lots of houses in the market town have had problems. Sadly the man responsible is long gone - sad as I would have liked to have shaken him by the neck. Living 100miles away didnt help but we had a fantastic estate agent who found good workmen and finally after a lot of stress, money and angst it has been bought by a young couple. I left home at 18 so hasnt been home home for along time (38 years) but still memories. Its been hard work,