Bramble

Colour Advice and Morale Boost ... Please!!!

I painted my front door at the weekend (it was green, it's now blue). The colour has come out brighter than I'd envisaged, but a 2nd coat has darkened it down a bit and I thought it looked ok. Then my neighbour took one look and said "oh dear". Said neighbour came out a while later and said "we're all taking the mick out of your colour". I now want the ground to open up and swallow me. :oops::anxious::cry:

Anyway, the point of this is, I have a gate at the end of the front "garden" (said garden is all of about 6 foot long, so gate is quite close to the door). Initial plan had been to paint the gate the same colour as the door, but in view of the above do I:

a) repaint the door a more "neighbour acceptable" colour;

b) just get on with it and paint the gate the same colour as the door as it is and stuff the neighbours;

c) keep the door as it is and paint the gate a different or contrasting colour (and if so, which colour?)

Life's just too complicated ...

If YOU like it then stuff the neighbours!

I have a cottage at the end of a row of white cottages. I painted mine yellow a few years ago, much to the horror of the entire village :roll:

I like it, so it has stayed yellow for the moment. I am looking for a new colour for it, but whatever happens it will not be white.

I like colour in my life.

And I think your neighbour is really very rude to take the mick out of your personal taste too.

So paint your gate , & post us a picture. I bet it looks lovely :P

Hello Bramble :D Totally agree with Cinnamon, what rude bad mannered neighbours :twisted: If you are using an exterior gloss/satinwood then it will be a fairly standard colour and it will just be the change which is making your horrible neighbours pass remarks. I would paint the gate to match. The other thing is that over time the paint will weather and darken anyway. Really irks me that individuals clearly think it is ok to go around causing offence like this with no thought for other peoples feelings.

I am also in the middle of exterior painting - porch and garage - and rather foolishly got some paint mixed to match the colour which I thought said garage and porch was painted in. Of course when I started to paint it didnt match at all but hey, I'm used to it now and rather like it.

You have saved yourself a lot of money by doing the job yourself, good for you gal :D Also I bet you have done a super job and it looks great :D So ignore these petty minded individuals and keep on painting. Here's to you <3 Ax

Thank you everyone, that helps a lot. I can't believe how I'm obsessing about this :oops: The colour isn't exactly as I thought it would be, i'd envisaged it being a couple of shades darker than it's turned out so with hindsight I would have bought something a bit darker to start with, but somehow paint never comes out the colour you intend, does it?

I think I will stick with my plan, paint the gate the same colour, I can always paint over it if it looks too much, Can't quite believe what the neighbours said - I could have cried into my pot of gloss - next time I'll paint my door purple to match my Cube - that would give them something to talk about!!!

Ditto what has aready been said on here.

She sounds very rude to me.

Even if you had been thinking of repainting (you mentioned you would have liked it darker) , I'd encourage you not to do so yet. You don't want your neighbour believing that you changed things because she doesn't like them.

Give it a week and see how you feel then.

In the meantime, I'd be tempted to stand outside looking at it, and saying to your husband in a loud voice "They're right, it needs to stand out a bit more. I still think the purple/pink/yellow (take your pick) would have been better".

Thanks, everyone, you've made me feel better!!!

I'd love to be creative enough to have done something 'different' with it - actually, it's got 7 vertical sort of panels to it - I did think it would be nice to do the colours of the rainbow on those but I chickened out!!!!

Think I feel worse about it 'cos I'm on my own so don't have anyone to help with choosing colours etc - but I WANTED a blue door - my last house had a white (UPVC) door and there wasn't much I could do about that, but I did paint the garage door blue. The door here was green, which was fine, but was in need of painting so I thought I'd have a change.

If my neighbours say anything else, I'm just going to tell them I'll set my Omlet Friends on them - that'll shut them up!!!!!

I agree, your front door your choice of colour! Neighbours can be so very boring :roll: We have one down the road who has painted their gate a vivid green which is lovely :D My front door is dark wood and aid love it to be a bright blue but yet to do it. Also, I quite like the dark wood so that's another reason I have yet to paint it. What colour was it, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to know what has got their knickers in a twist :lol:

I'd be tempted to paint the gate something hideously contrasting like bright orange :lol:

Nasty thing for your neighbour to say. To paraphrase a psychology book I am reading "she has an attitude problem, not you". If she says anything else, just smile sweetly and say it came out just as you wanted and you love it.

And who does she mean "we are all taking the mick out of your door". Has the whole street/village/town had a meeting just to discuss the colour of your door. I don't think so somehow

Your castle, your rules.

Near me there is a little terraced house with a very gothic gate and a sign saying 'abandon hope all ye that enter here'.

I'm always fascinated by interesting house fronts and want to see inside. I love bright colours, houses look more fun. I used to paint the front door a different colour when the mood took me but now I've got a wooden one which is lovely but I can't paint it up.

Hmmmm, I think you may have used the same colour as I did :lol:8) !!!! Our front door, wooden surround and garage door right next to it were all British Racing Green (thanks to OH who did it last time!) It was looking grotty so I chose a Sandtex exterior matt and nearly had a heart attack when I opened the tin! I thought it would darken down but not even after three coats did it look any different. VERY sky blue esp with front door and garage door right next to each other!

Heyho, it will have to do....at least people won't have any trouble finding us; I'll just tell them we are the one with the SKY BLUE doors :oops: !

As for your doors.....they are yours and you do what you like! How rude of people to make adverse comments :shock: I always feel that if I can't say something nice then I just don't say anything! If I were you I'd paint the gate the same colour! As a matter of interest, what colour did you use?1 :think:

At least our doors will look nice and bright during the long, dark winter months :D

OK, the door was a sort of mid-dark green - nothing wrong at all with that, but it needed painting and I fancied a change.

The colour I went for was Crown "Regal Blue", I really liked their "Oxford Blue" but was worried that might come out too dark (tend to find paint is usually darker than I imagine, although I was wrong in this case!!). The brickwork is Cotswold stone (sounds much nicer than it is, to give you an idea of the setting - it would be so much easier to post a photo, but I can't get to grips with photobucket!!!!

The neighbour said "we've all been taking the mick out of your door" meaning everyone in his house.

He did also say that should I ever need to give anyone directions "you can just say it's the house with the BLUE door", well yes, I could, but I'd be more inclined to say, it's no 5, that gives a better idea of location, I tend to find!!!!!!??????

I've always fancied a purple front door with front gate and window surrounds to match. Sadly all our doors and windows are uPVC so don't need painting.

I would ignore the neighbours and carry on painting

Good idea I like the thought of a purple door and gate. A couple of years ago I wanted to paint the garage door purple but OH wouldn't let me, it is a pretty blue colour but it will soon need another coat of paint :wink:

I agree with the others if you like the colour paint the gate too.

Chrissie

I agree with everyone's comments, stuff what the neighbours think, it's your house!! I'd employ a bit of reverse psychology too, really gush to your neighbours about the colour "I don't know what your talking about! The more I look at it the more I absolutely love it! I wish I'd done it sooner! I'm definitely going to paint my gate in the same colour!" Etc etc... Even if you decide you don't like it, it would be worth leaving it a few weeks to prove a point :lol:

I think bright blue with Cotswold Stone would be rather pretty and anyway, blue in particular, mellows with the weather and the sun. My main criticism of the new build estate near me is that "Ooops, word censored!"ody does anything different - then someone told me they are not 'allowed' to paint their door a different colour. How terrible :shock: I have a horror of uniformity though that does sometimes mean that my OH says "What are you wearing?" with eyebrows raised, as I get into the car for a day out - :lol:

then someone told me they are not 'allowed' to paint their door a different colour. How terrible :shock: I have a horror of uniformity though that does sometimes mean that my OH says "What are you wearing?" with eyebrows raised, as I get into the car for a day out - :lol:

I did check my deeds etc before going ahead - technically, I couldn't "alter the appearance" within five years of buying (it's a new build property). I've been here for six years, but I have to say, had the door needed doing sooner (I should really have done it last year :oops: ) then I would have done it in the colour I chose - if the developers don't like it, perhaps they should have done a better job of painting in the first place!!!!