WitchHazel

Sainsbury's Christmas ad

Made in partnership with The British Legion or not, I don't like it or agree with it. I don't feel its at all appropriate to use such a serious and horrific event to flog groceries :twisted: I am shocked that Sainsbury's would even think that this could be acceptable. They are hjacking war for their own publicity and I find the whole thing sick.

I don't usually react this strongly to ads (in fact I usually ignore them completely) but this has really wound me up. Having just watched it on youtube for the first time I feel quite upset. I won't be shopping in Sainsbury's again in a hurry.

Edited by Guest

My opinion - I like it. I thought it was a good thing to highlight the war especially at this time, it is topical and touching. That brief moment in the trenches was one of the few sane moments in WW1. I don't really mind who highlights it, people write books and articles and produce pictures and paintings about it, presumably they benefit from that. I'm happy that a moment showing the humanity of soldiers and eternal pointlessness of war has such a big audience including lots of people who have probably ignored much of the Remembrance because they think it's nothing to do with them.

Made in partnership with The British Legion or not, I don't like it or agree with it. I don't feel its at all appropriate to use such a serious and horrific event to flog groceries
Can't say it sits well with me. The supermarkets are interested in 1 thing and 1 thing only and that is making money. I am not strongly anti the advert but feel it is a bit cynical.

i think if it gets the attention our "boys" of all ages richly deserve and if you buy the chocolate some money goes to the British Legion then so be it. For too long our soldiers have been forgotten. We have to move with the times and if advertising is the way forward you can't stop it. If the British Legion are happy with that then I for one can accept that.

If the British Legion are happy with that then I for one can accept that.
fair point

Same here.

I do shop at Sainsbury's but it wouldn't make me shop there if I didn't or turn me away.

I had a huge row with a friend over this who ended up saying she would never buy a poppy again. Turns out her actions are entirely politically motivated. She won't buy a poppy because people she doesn't like wear them, in her opinion, just to be seen to be doing the right thing.

I told her I thought that was extremely selfish. How can the British Legion help people if they don't get supported. She never answered that one. :roll:

I think people are being too hard on Sainsburys, they aren't glorifying war - the football matches did actually happen and many people out there are probably unaware (especially the whining Daily Mail readers*). Sometimes people just like to make a big deal out of nothing, this is our history and I do not think Sainsburys are misusing it.

Plus half the profits from the chocolate are going to the British Legion who are fully supportive of the advert. That's good enough for me.

*exception made for any on this forum of course :wink: