Daphne

Cleaning shower screens

As this forum is a fount of domestic advice, I'd like to know how you all clean your glass shower screens over the bath. Mine never looks sparkling and I suspect this is because I don't clean it after every shower with one of those rubber window cleaning things. As realistically I am never going to do a clean after every shower, what products/methods do you use to try to get rid of the soapy streaks and how often? I have tried all sorts of sponges and even resorted to a metal scourer (probably not a good idea). As for products I've tried vinegar and newspaper, and various off the shelf glass cleaning products. At the moment I am on 'Method' but all that is happening is that I squirt huge amounts of it on and the glass, although cleaner, is still not great. I suppose I am particularly puzzled as its caused by a bit of shower gel/soap, its not like I'm cooking a joint of meat in there :lol:

The screen is probably about 12 years old, and I am wondering if they have a natural life span and I should consider getting another one :think:

I am having a nightmare with ours too, although it is a full glass shower rather than just a screen.

I have tried every (and I do mean EVERY) available limescale remover & none have worked.

I even ordered an industrial commercial one from the Internet & that didn't work either :roll:

And we have a water softener too!

We now think that the cloudy glass is caused by the fancy coating that we had put on it when we got the glass made to prevent limescale, breaking down, because if you laboriously go over it with a blade, it does all s"Ooops, word censored!"e off.

But on curved glass this isn't easy.

I must admit that I like things clean & this has been driving me bonkers :twisted:

We used Waitrose Daily Shower Shine on our cubicle after each shower and I used a squeegee and limescale remover when I did a proper clean. It's the same idea as the Method stuff.

However, the shower shine stuff is toxic to cats until it dries and, as one of our cats is old and rather doddery and forgetful, I had visions of her licking it. So now we just use the squeegee after every shower. It takes about the same amount of time as spraying the shower shine stuff, to be honest, even with the curved doors.

I will seek out the Lakeland product recommended on here, though.

The problem is limescale build up "scars" surfaces so even after removal the marks will be there. It is possible the scrubbing has caused damage not visible to the human eye.

I strongly recommend the shower sprays for use after showering and I find the Wilko one to be the best.

I am a cleaner so have tried most things over the years.

I have got to get me one of those!

This blooming forum costs me a fortune! :lol:

I get Limelite - which can take the chrome plated bits off if you aren't careful - my handles in one bath have bubbles in it. So saying that I have bubbles in my bath plug thing and I don't Limelite that! But for the windows and tiles and even where the darlings shower, once a month it gets done, just needs a wipe to cover the area that needs doing and then shower it off. Finish with a squeegie and an old towel and it's not bad. Glass comes up good each time. OH is also trained to use one in his shower - makes so much difference. Although he complained that the really good one I replaced it with wasn't wide enough. :roll: So he's now using a Homebase thing which is about 2 inches wider. In the meantime I'm using the other (good one) for the kiddies bathroom. The blade is better. But hey ho, he's happy now. :roll:

Um I mean a proper clean once a month other than that a viakal job weekly is good enough. We have yuk limescale here.

Whatever you do do NOT use Cillit Bang - it took all the silvering off my plugs and sink. It did remove the blue we used to be plagued with as we have acid water and it dissolves the pipes and makes the sink and bath green where soap has been but now we have filters and UV and PH etc etc which makes it so so much better.

Mine is a WV60 plus. But I dont use any of the bits that come with it. I got mine from a Karcher outlet and is a refurbished model. Windows are done in seconds, mirrors likewise and of course the shower screen too. I am NOT a gadgety person but I do love this piece of kit! Ax

Coming late to the party and back to shower screens I have found absolutely the best thing for the industrial strength lime scale/soap scum duo that my kids leave in our shower is Barkeepers Friend (powder version) on a green scrudger thing ( I was desperate one day and saw someone recommending it on t'internet) I only need to do it about once every three months because it stays reasonably clear just using a squeegee and spray with shower shine in between (whichever brand is cheapest when I'm replacing it). I thought it would etch the glass but it didn't (although test it somewhere inconspicuous first in case your shower doesn't react like ours!)