Christian

The Weather Thread #9

We have had loads of snow. School was closed today so I had a day at home with youngest  granddaughter as DD was working nights and managed to get home but didn't even try to get here. Our road up to the main road is a mile and a half off ice with snow on top. Very few vehicles have braved it today. 

Rather worried about trying to get to school tomorrow, I would doubt we will get another snow day.

Chrissie 

Minus 8 when hubby got up!  We did have a really nice day (if a tad cold) and it warmed up past the zero.  A lot of garden was done by the guys but I did manage to get some plants out - some I'll have to get them to rescue for me - rock solid ground!  The snow came late this afternoon for a little flurry, but again in the dark we now have about half an inch.  I think there is more to come, looking at the radar! Currently -5 brrrrr!

Very cold, positively bitter but just a few flurries of snow much to the boy's disgust. I doubt we'll have much...the RAF Benson forecast is for the flurries to continue for the next couple of days with nothing really significant.O.o I don't mind the very cold as long as it's bright and sunny and there isn't that vicious sharp wind>:(

Shocking, ANH! Trust you alerted the constabulary;) The youth of today....and all that!

A bit more of a covering just outside Oxford and some stuff swirling around. The sky is very white; no more actually forecast for today or tomorrow but I wouldn't be surprised if it all came tumbling down. Both boy's in to school, much to their chagrin:D

Snoooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww!  I guess it started in the early hours and it's still snowing.  So far anywhere between 1.5 inches to 2, but where it's drifted is a bit deeper.  I'll have to go out with my quilt ruler to confirm!  So far the girls are tucked in and hopefully no chilly wind sneaking in.  They've been vaselined much to their disgust but the funniest is the squabbling blackbirds on the doorstep hinting that they need food and water and want it now!  ¬¬  Good job I bought a sack of chicken grit - it's been great on the paths!

Muuuuum, our lickle hen toes are froze! What do you mean stay inside?! xD

Our wee weather station gizmo says that it's -0 but with the wind chill the Met Office say it's more like -10. We've had snow showers all day yesterday and so far today and have about 2" lying, but we're forecast snow up until Monday with both yellow and amber alerts.

Well I did go out with a nice 24 inch long quilt ruler and nope, it wasn't that deep.  It was bang on 1.5 mainly, 2 inches on the other bits of ground, but on the furniture it was 2.5 to 3 inches where it had blown up the backs of the chairs.  Still snowing here but we've had fieldfares in the garden which we haven't had here before.  I've been going out with the food regularly and checking the water.  Luckily I haven't had to put hot water in since this morning.  Wind has picked up and much colder - whatever the outside water is doing (telling fibs methinks).  Just had several starlings having a bath in one of them!

It was -6deg at home this morning and quite windy. Started to snow around 6.30..... when I was walking the dogs, we had about 2" when I left, main roads were OK, but the lanes were pretty snowy. Journey down to my dad wasn't too bad roadwise, but the washers were frozen the whole journey, so I kept having to stop to pour water over the windscreen. Down here in Herts, there is about 2" of snow, and there is that fine, dry stuff falling.

A bit more snow here but the main roads are fine - it's the lanes that are a bit iffy. ES secondary school sent a text around 11.30am saying they were  closing at 1.15pm and YS primary said they were staying open for the day but we could collect early if we so wished! I did a couple of hours work, went to Tesco on the Oxford ring road for the usual weekly bunfight then collected YS. 

Still stuff coming down but it remains the powdery, soft stuff that is blowing around like mad. Still, only 1 more day to go. What's the betting schools will be shut tomorrow as it's Friday :/

All my footsteps have filled in so I've no idea how deep it is now.  I did try to make a snowman because that lovely crunch underfoot sounded just right, but no.  Like sugar - even though we had big feather flakes later this evening.  One of my neighbours had fellas in to repair her decking (really, in this weather!) but they didn't stay long.  Although they did have a snowball fight!  Or rather a very fragile snowball dust fight!  LOL!

23 hours ago, Ain't "Ooops, word censored!"ody Here said:

Dogmother, I can concur with what Rosie says, it's blowing a hoolie here and snow is getting deeper by the hour.

Sad to say my neighbourhood isn't what it used to be, we took Cassie for a walk this afternoon and came back to find our car had been vandalised.

20180228_171857.jpg

Helloooo Vicki *waves*

how're you doing? I am going to be up there in April to visit her in the Easter recess, shall we meet up?

Yesterday OH and I ventured out to take granddaughter back to her mum a journey that normally takes 10 to 15 minutes but took nearly an hour to get back home. The roads were not good. 4, 5, 6 foot high snow drifts have reduced the road from our village up to the main road to a single track and in places where there is no hedge they are trying to go right across the road. Main roads had snow on them.  Not good traveling at all.

Very relieved that school is closed again. Three consecutive days. I don't ever remember that happening before in over 20 years of being at the school. 

Keep safe everyone and try to keep warm. 

Chrissie