Luvachicken

Why wouldn't I want a receipt ?

Quite a few times, especially over Christmas, and in one store in particular, I was asked if I wanted the receipt for what I had bought.

I understand about saving paper but a receipt shows that I paid for things.

If I bought a newspaper in one shop and then went to another shop selling the same, how do I prove that I bought it in the first shop if questioned.

And if I paid for something and then walked out with an item without the receipt how do I tell the security guard I paid for it.

Sorry, just having a little rant.

it happens a lot know I think it's the computerised systems that have staff prompts on them

the one I hate is been asked if I want the receipt emailed to me ( I do it save me having them floating around the cab for weeks or then getting washed when I forget to check my pockets) then they still print the dam thing out as well company policy

I find myself having to ask for a receipt at my local petrol station.

They're very keen to ask if I have a reward card but never offer a receipt unless asked for. Very annoying especially as I always pay cash.

I wonder why so many shops just don't want to issue receipts any more? Do they assume that as most people pay by card, you can prove you've paid by showing your bank statement? :?

I wonder why so many shops just don't want to issue receipts any more? Do they assume that as most people pay by card, you can prove you've paid by showing your bank statement? :?

But if you needed a statement to prove that you paid, the shop would have to wait for you to get your statement, which could be up to a month later, whereas the receipt is instant.

Funny you should say that - we were asked as we were being handed a receipt today if we wanted confirmation by e-mail! OH said no thanks. How silly! I also like the paper receipts - especially for returning goods if needs be. The only time I'm asked in the petrol station is if I want a VAT receipt - well I don't have a company car now so I don't need it but I am always given the normal one.

I've never had to ask for a receipt yet.

Speaking from the other side of the till, LOADS of people, when you go to hand them their receipt either just say that they don't want it, or scrumple it up into a ball & chuck it on the end of my till (these people are first against the wall, come the revolution!)

In my shop if you pay by card then you have to take your receipt - I HAVE to hand it to you, even if you chuck it away.

There is no prompt - every sale gets a receipt issued.

I have a regular customer who spends a fortune (£500 a time), pays cash & never wants a receipt.

I especially encourage those who don't want a carrier bag (don't want to pay for one anyhow) to take a receipt, as to walk out of the shop with your arms full of Jaffa Cakes & Cheddar looks really dodgy! :lol:

Speaking from the other side of the till, LOADS of people, when you go to hand them their receipt either just say that they don't want it, or scrumple it up into a ball & chuck it on the end of my till (these people are first against the wall, come the revolution!)

That is a valid point to be fair. You do often see a lot of "dead" receipts littering the place where people have just chucked them on the floor and it's a waste of paper and makes the place look untidy.

I think it depends what you're buying. If it's just a pack of sandwiches for lunch, you maybe don't want a receipt, but if it's an item of clothing or something you may have to return, then you would want a receipt.

And I get one for petrol just to be on the safe side in case there is any sort of issue with the fuel - it's the only way I can prove where I got it from because I always pay cash.

Now that bags are not issued with each purchase, I insist on a receipt. Walking out with a bag emblazoned with the shop logo, which was generally only available when you bought something, was a sort of security measure, but now the only thing you have to prove you've paid is the receipt.

That's a very good point Charlottechicken.

receipts 'in the bag', I want them in my purse, not in my bag. I then have to dig around in the bag to take them out!

Me too!

Me three. We keep meticulous records for credit and debit card transactions and have had refunds from wrongly taken payments and have noticed a few that never went through.

Email receipts are perfect for me, as cat tails says, Apple receipts are so handy.

If you have a problem with a product, just search for the name on your phone emails, the receipt pops up and they scan it... Proves when you bought it, what you paid for it and if its still in free warranty.

If I had to have a paper receipt it could be left anywhere in the world :lol:

I have a regular customer who spends a fortune (£500 a time), pays cash & never wants a receipt.

I especially encourage those who don't want a carrier bag (don't want to pay for one anyhow) to take a receipt, as to walk out of the shop with your arms full of Jaffa Cakes & Cheddar looks really dodgy! :lol:

I know this isn't what you said, but I now have an image in my head of a dodgy ArthurDaley/Flash Harry type walking out of Waitrose with £500 worth of Jaffa Cakes and Cheddar in their arms

Yes, I would always want a receipt - especially for fuel, and that has to be a VAT one as its for company use.

Slightly related - before the carrier bag charges came in and someone asked whether we wanted a bag for the multiple items just purchased, the response "No, I think I'll juggle all my purchases back to the car" usually had the desired effect... :roll: