Ursula123

Silly things people say

Over the last few days we have had a lot of rain here in North Devon and there has been a lot of flooding.

My In laws are away on holiday at the moment and it falls to OH and I to check on their house and farmland whilst checking on my girls ( he has retired so no animals, just my chickens in their orchard). The farmyard and barns are bordered by a stream. He telephoned me yesterday as he had seen the flooding on the news in Cyprus and was worried we had been washed away. I explained to him we were all fine but the stream had broken its banks and flooded part of the farmyard and lower barns to which his reply was ' how did that happen there is weld mesh between the stream and yard'

Obviously I was straight on the phone to the environment agency as they are missing a trick in flood defence - weld mesh! :lol:

Some of the presumptuous ones annoy me the most.

I remember a time when I was about 12, I had to go and withdraw some cash from my post office savings account because I wanted a new toy, or game, or something - it was so long ago I forget.

Me: Can I take £20 from my account please?

Woman behind counter: Of course dear, are you off to buy a gift for Mothers Day? (It was Mothers Day that weekend or something)

M: No.

W: Typical! *turns to her co-worker* Hey [insert co-worker's name], typical boy this one! Not buying a gift for Mothers Day!

CW: Typical boy! You're naughty you know, your mum would like a gift!

W: Why aren't you buying her one then?

M: Because she died of cancer when I was 10...

*Cue both women behind the counter draining of all colour, and the woman serving me flustering around and not knowing what to do so she just handed me the cash and gave me a weak smile as I left. The other woman just had her mouth fall open in shock. While all the other people in the room fell silent and shifted uncomfortably until I left.*

I have several more of these -

A few years ago on Valentines Day I was going through a rough time (end of a 10 year relationship) so I decided to treat myself with an anti-Valentines celebration, so I popped down to Tesco.

*Me at tills with my ice cream, chocolate, bottle of wine and DVD*

*Woman at tills is 'approving' the wine*

Woman: Oh, nice to see a romantic young man! Your wife is a lucky woman!

Me: Well... that would be a husband, actually.

*Flustered woman*

W: Oh... sorry, I didn't mean... umm... well, he must be a lucky man then!

M: He cheated on me. We just got divorced. I am 'celebrating' by myself.

*Woman goes bright red and even more flustered*

W: Oh... God... I am sorry! Why are you wearing a wedding ring then?

M: Because it p***es him off - but thanks for making this the most awkward small-talk I have ever had in my life.

The look on her face, boy did she look embarrassed... I actually felt a bit sorry for her. But then on the other hand, if you make constant assumptions about people...

Hehe.

I think one of my favourite ones is when you say you're going on holiday and someone asks "Are you going anywhere nice?".

Oh no dear, I'm off to some backwater known for its high murder rate and nuclear waste dumping facilities.

You have brightened my day no end, Ive had a miserable few weeks so the fact you have made me laugh out loud is amazing....still am just really chuckling.

On the school run yesterday morning YS was cold so I lent him my coat (he'd left his in school the day before and insisted he'd be fine without one and would grab his from his peg when he got there.)

Howling gale with freezing winds, YS with my coat and so me in a T shirt and jeans. THREE people asked me if I was cold........nah, thermal skin, me!

I was shopping with my friend recently and she tried on a pair of high heeled shoes and I said "wow I really like them and they make you look about 3 stone lighter"

Why oh why did I think that was ok, everything that came out of mouth then just made it a million times worse. Luckily she laughed and replied that is why she wears heels to work.

The other day we were out for dinner and I said to my partner:

"Oh look! That guy there looks just like me... only he's obviously younger, thinner, and waaaaaaay more attractive than I am!"

My partner's response?

"I wouldn't say he was obviously younger."

So, yeah, I'm single now. :lol:

Well we had another one yesterday.

My step-mother passed away the other week, and in the process of organising the funeral my step-sister found someone to give a secular service. She told my father: "The guy is called [insert name here]. I think Andrew might know him."

My father text me with the bloke's name and said that my step-sister thinks I know him. I replied back and said "Nope, never heard of him before. I don't have the slightest clue why she might think I know him!"

The OH suggested maybe we had gone to school together and I had just forgotten him. I thought the OH might be on to something and so I Facebook searched for him. Sure enough, there he was with information saying that he was holding the service etc., and indeed he was my age - but we went to completely different schools. I had definitely never seen him before and I was still 99% sure I had never heard the name before either.

So I checked another picture and noted that it was a photo of him and his husband!

And then it occurred to me why she thought I might know him... *facepalm* :wall:

I text my father back with the information and the words "The UK is a big place. We don't all know each other!" :shameonu:

Andy _ have to say I had guessed before I got to bottom of your text what you were going to say.

Patients make laugh when I am about to do certain procedures like ear syringing or removing sutures and they say " have you done this before?" I want to cackle loudly and rub my hands together gleefully and shout " no you're my first" . But I resist the urge :lol: