Peter

Cold, frosty & sunny in Northumberland UK today.

This morning was Cold, frosty & sunny in Northumberland UK. So for a treat I give the ladies a warm home made chicken curry.

they love currey, Chinese and chilly food and seem to do well on it. I know there rules on what to give them but they have a 

chose to continue with the pellets which are not there best loved food and greens all there to them at the same time.

they are looking a bit scruffy as they try to dust bath in the muddy garden so I have put a dust bath in there run but they have

not used it yet.

20200119_113558.jpg

20200119_114345 - Copy (2).jpg

To be brutally honest Peter, they may have an even shorter lifespan if they are regularly fed on 'human' food which their systems are totally incapable of dealing with! Pellets are boring for us humans but perfectly fine for chickens. There are many other treats that you can give them which are far, far better for their digestions. You can also make a mash with left over veg and some oats; very good warmed as Blackrocksrock says. Mine also loved mango stones, which they picked clean, as a special treat and the resulting yolks were such a lovely colour! And I swear that they played football with apples before pecking them to death!

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Deep down I agree but they don't have a very long life span and pellets are so boring. I have tasted them and they are like cardboard.

There little faces were smiling when they were tucking into their takeaway meal.

Peter 

*shrugs* it's up to you, but if you want to kill your birds, then carry on :roll:

I see it like this… chickens eating chicken  equates to humans eating humans.    Not ideal huh? 

As far as boring goes, dogs can eat the same day after day with some left over scraps and they love it.   Same with chooks.   Their systems are not conducive to eating curry.   Sorry …

And most of my chickens actually lived quite long lives.

Edited by Blackrocksrock

As I recall, the origins of BSE were rooted in species eating (as in 'being fed') their own and, whilst I fully acknowledge that the semantics are possibly a little different, the principal surely stays the same? There are lots of other lovely treats that the chooks can have and that will be really nutritious and beneficial for them.

Edited by soapdragon
Dimwittedness

12 hours ago, soapdragon said:

As I recall, the origins of BSE were rooted in species eating (as in 'being fed') their own and, whilst I fully acknowledge that the semantics are possibly a little different, the principal surely stays the same? There are lots of other lovely treats that the chooks can have and that will be really nutritious and beneficial for them.

This is one of the reasons animals aren’t allowed being fed bone meal anymore. 

On 1/19/2020 at 8:17 PM, Peter said:

Deep down I agree but they don't have a very long life span and pellets are so boring. I have tasted them and they are like cardboard.

I have never tasted their pellets but certainly would never give them their own kind to eat - or any meat for that matter.

Perhaps you should try some different pellets ? Mine have Garvo pellets and obviously although I am not a chicken, they smell delicious. They also smell good mixed into a porridge.

I'm not sure birds even have taste buds - that's why you can put super strong chilli powder on bird food - that the birds still eat because they can't taste it but the squirrels don't.

Well I am out numbered so it seems my ladies are going to have more boring pellets.

Its not a wind up that is why I put lots of photos with my topics, I think some would prefer it was.

I can see you are going to have me band for reporting my life with chickens.

So I am not  going to tell you about mixing warm gravy with pellets for them.

I think you are all great and makes me and my chooks less lonely.

I do hope you love some of my topics 

Thanks to all Peter

Peter you will not be banned if you are looking after your chickens to the best of your ability. Some of us are just trying to help you keep them as healthy as possible and that’s why we sometimes reply as we do - I hope you find the replies useful. Try to remember that however you think if them your chooks have different requirements and also different tolerances than people do. 
I’m glad your ladies are making you happy.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:35 PM, Peter said:

Well I am out numbered so it seems my ladies are going to have more boring pellets.

You don't have to just give them pellets, although that is best for them. Pellets have been specially made to meet all their dietary requirements after all.

You could hang them up some cabbage or broccoli.

Make them a sprout garland or give them some corn.

All as treats of course.

35 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

You don't have to just give them pellets, although that is best for them. Pellets have been specially made to meet all their dietary requirements after all.

You could hang them up some cabbage or broccoli.

Make them a sprout garland or give them some corn.

All as treats of course.

And in moderation and at the end of the day, so that they eat their pellets as the main part of their diet.

• Like 1