patsylabrador

Lockdown

Had my booster on Monday (moderna) - crikey it’s made me feel rough - didn’t have any side effects from my first two AZ jabs but this one gave me quite a headache for 24hrs, a sleepless night thanks to a very sore arm and another day or so of nausea and weakness. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy to have had it, but it took me a bit by surprise!

Family are here for Christmas now - we’re all constantly lateral flow testing and so far so good.

I hope you stay well AG.  Thanks for posting MT, my brother was scheduled to have a booster (not sure what flavour) 24hrs before taking a flight.  I have managed to dissuade him, not that it took much as friends of his have also had bad reactions to it.  Like you he is desperate to have the booster, but just at a better time.

As its nearly Xmas Eve I think I can safely wish everybody a Very Merry Christmas!

On 12/23/2021 at 9:16 PM, mullethunter said:

Had my booster on Monday (moderna) - crikey it’s made me feel rough - didn’t have any side effects from my first two AZ jabs but this one gave me quite a headache for 24hrs, a sleepless night thanks to a very sore arm and another day or so of nausea and weakness. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy to have had it, but it took me a bit by surprise!

Family are here for Christmas now - we’re all constantly lateral flow testing and so far so good.

Yes, the Moderna floored me too, MH! As you say, a bit of a shock but I kept telling myself that the worse I was feeling the better it was working. It took me two days to be able to lift my arm beyond elbow height too! Hope you are over it now!

• Like 1

Merry Christmas to all. Plenty of doom and gloom in this mornings news, to the extent that there will be an emergency Government meeting on Monday to decide what to do. All the New Year gatherings have been cancelled already, so it doesn't leave many options.

We had more severe side effects from our Moderna booster; as to be expected from other reports. Arms sore as usual, but very tired to the extent that I went down the hill to pick up a few wind blown bits of Poplar, only to struggle to walk back up. Had to stop a few times to recover and the slope is only 10% over 30 metres!

A bit of good news at last. Whilst Omicron spreads 3x faster than Delta it only creates serious effects in a third of cases. With nearly 80% of people vaccinated they have decided that if they become 'case contacts' they no longer need to isolate. I think part of the reason for this decision is the number of people off work in isolation, which is affecting businesses badly and perhaps unnecessarily. Face masks are obligatory outside in about half of the Departments (Counties) to limit the spread. It was also said that if there isn't another significant variant, this 5th wave will be over by Spring. Won't disappear though because, even if you have caught Omicron and survived it, you can catch it again. But at least things look as though they might be settling down?

Yes, I think we are in for a rough ride as lots and lots of people are catching it, and then have to either isolate as the primary case or a contact, and so lots of businesses/services are effected.  But on the other hand, unless you are at an at risk person, probably you won't have it too badly.  It feels a bit like a numbers game, keep being sensible and hopefully we can ride it out, if sufficient people are still at work/caring etc.

So, in France, are they saying you don't have to isolate at all, if you are 'just' a contact?  In Portugal you can't go in for a meal indoors unless you have an EU vaccination cert, but until today you had to show a negative lateral flow test as well.  However, my brother is coming from Australia and won't be able to eat inside unless he shows a negative test from a lab, which will cost more than the meal! Picnics for us, I think.

All restaurants and non-essential shops are still closed here. Lots of Dutch now go on shopping trips to Germany and Belgium. They’ll decide tomorrow if schools will open again after the Christmas holidays.

But after two weeks of lockdown the cases are somehow rising again instead of falling.

Well cases in the UK have been beating records every day for about the last 2 weeks!

I definitely know more people at the moment who have it than I ever have before - but none of them seem to feel as rough as I do with a cold! (that is to say I’ve had one negative PCR but have just been for a second just in case).

Cases here have been beating records as well, but that is due in part to the huge number of people having tests over the holidays as a precaution before visiting family or friends. There are plenty of people with Omicron who don't have any symptoms at all, but can still spread it, so they wouldn't normally get tested. That would explain why cases are still rising @Cat tails, which makes social distancing etc. still so very important. But hospitalisation and critical care cases are only rising very slowly and most are from the 20% unvaccinated, the 20-40 age group being most affected.

Yes @Daphne, no isolation as a case contact, if you are fully vaccinated (had third dose). If you test positive and are fully vaccinated you don't have to isolate for as long as before either. The time between the second and third dose is now a maximum of 4 months, or you lose your health pass (was 7 months when we went at 6 months and a week). The change to a 'vaccination pass' is being debated today. No word on a 4th dose fortunately: we're not thrilled about the prospect of a dose every 3-4 months!

Friends queued for 3 hours yesterday to get a rapid antigen test to fly back to the UK.  We happened to drive past the same clinic today, in an ordinary town, nowhere near the cities, and the queues were enormous again (obviously not all for flights, just ordinary people going about their normal business).  I am trying to get hold of lateral flow tests for my Mum and my brother in UK, but obviously that isn't possible.  The only good thing to have happened is that we managed to buy 6 LFTs here in Portugal (4 euro each) to give to my brother to take back to UK.  Portugal has put back schools opening by a week, in an effort to curb the spread, but given virtually everyone over the age of 5 is jabbed, and we still have high case numbers, its obviously not easy.  I heard yesterday that some people with Omicron have been reinfected in the space of a few weeks, as an added complication.

Perhaps I'm wrong about the reason for cases rising, because they are still rising to record highs and like everywhere else testing kits have run out in the shops. Since someone died in hospital and was later found to have a fake health passport they have been checking them all and found that 5% of those presented are fake! Bridgett Bardot was interviewed (well into her 80's now) and said she wouldn't have the vaccine because she was allergic to chemicals. When she was asked how she managed to get to a recent overseas visit that required a yellow fever vaccine she said "my doctor gave me a fake certificate"!!!

In the meantime the conversion from a 'health passport' to a 'vaccination passport' has had a rough ride but has passed the first voting stage. Still expected to be in place by the 15th January it may impact on our local clay pigeon shooting club, because one of the exclusions proposed by Macron if you don't have one is (if I translated 'canon' correctly) you can't own a gun. See what is said after the bill gets its final reading.

Generally oldies dont get Yellow fever vaccine as they can get severe side effects. They normally are exempt and advised on mossie bite avoidance. They I think are issued with an exemption certificate. There are dodgey Doctors everywhere. Let's hope Miss Bardot doesnt catch Covid. 

On 1/9/2022 at 12:39 PM, Daphne said:

Hope you are well CT.  I had the Pfizer booster, sore arm for 24 hours and in bed at 9.00pm for a couple of nights, but that was all.  OH going to get his done tomorrow, so fingers crossed he gets the Pfizer as well. 

So far I’m fine, sore arm and a bit tired, but it is Sunday after all! 😂

• Like 1

The system in France, where everyone has a medical insurance number and carries an ID card, means that the EXACT number of resident people who haven't been vaccinated is known. Further to that they know all the names and addresses! They published the numbers by age group this morning and surprisingly one of the largest percentages of unvaccinated people is the over 80's, so Bridgett is far from alone and the anti-vax demonstrations are getting bigger.