patsylabrador

Lockdown

On 7/9/2021 at 12:58 PM, rachel84 said:

I hope my viewpoint doesn't offend anyone - it is not intended to and I am very conscious that others do not share my opinion when I am out and about.

Most of us on here Rachel84 are happy to have debate and hear from different points of view as long as everyone remains courteous - you’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

My concerns with further relaxation of restrictions are that in some places (such as Cornwall where I live), NHS services and hospitals are struggling already. They always do in the summer here as our numbers of people increase massively during the tourist season, so even a relatively modest increase in hospitalisations due to Covid will put those services under serious strain.

I also think that if wearing a face covering genuinely does protect those around you, and to some degree yourself, that should continue to be mandatory indoors in public areas for the time being. It seems to me that it’s an easy way to reduce transmission. I would suggest that people working in retail etc could stop wearing them as it must be unpleasant to have to wear them all day, but people using the shop (or other place) should continue to wear them.

• Like 2

They couldn't control the spread of the Delta variant here and as  a result the infection rates are rising by over 50% per week. Our President is addressing the Country this evening to outline his plans in what could be a crucial week to prevent a 4th wave.

A controversial wedding party on Corsica, which had 300 guests and no social barriers, resulted in 50 testing positive; a good example of what could happen if things are further relaxed.

The crowd scenes in London and Rome last night have shocked our medical experts and we all wait to see the results of that behaviour.

We have over 200 cases related to one single dance party, where everyone was supposed to be tested or vaccinated. 
And this wasn’t the only one. Some people got false negative test results, some just cheated with the QR code and used someone else’s.

Increase of cases has risen over 200% last week with some student cities reaching into the 300’s.

All I can say from the Netherlands: don’t relax any rules! It’s not worth it!

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

We have over 200 cases related to one single dance party, where everyone was supposed to be tested or vaccinated. 
And this wasn’t the only one. Some people got false negative test results, some just cheated with the QR code and used someone else’s.

Increase of cases has risen over 200% last week with some student cities reaching into the 300’s.

All I can say from the Netherlands: don’t relax any rules! It’s not worth it!

Just read we had in an increase of 574% last week. 😞

Well Boris said he is going ahead and relaxing everything on the 19th. Nightclubs to open, no limits on numbers at gatherings, face coverings no longer a legal requirement….

They just said on the news that France is going to bring in compulsory vaccination for healthcare workers - good move in my opinion 

Please don't think you are invincible, just better protected. 3% of people in hospital here have had both jabs. 97% have had one or none.

Cases in France are doubling every week, but it's the young now who are hospitalised as the oldies are generally fully vaccinated. You can't do much here without a health passport for good reason. We still don't feel safe as only 50% have the double dose and despite that they can still be carrying it. 

Last month 80% of people in intensive care hadn't been vaccinated. Now it is 'the majority' and cases are rising fast, so more people who have the double vaccination are losing their immunity. The First Minister said it was people with a weak immune system (which isn't being tested for) and urges people to have their third 'booster' jab. Our President is making an announcement on Tuesday evening and is expected to include this subject. In the meantime I have been invited for the third jab, but it must be at least 6 months since the second, so 8th December.

Hope you are OK @Geoid. I had three weeks of symptoms which were the same as the mild side effects of the vaccination but far more acute. I didn't bother to get tested. Took three months to lose the cough.

I’ve just had my booster.  Lots of press about the poor take up by the elderly and vulnerable.   But in my experience it is much more difficult to access than the first two jabs.  First two, we had a phone call and an appointment the next day in the local town.    
This third time it was a text to my phone telling me to make an appointment online.   Then had to drive to a large centre about 10 miles away. 

Now, I coped with that because I have a smartphone, am quite IT literate, and, I drive.  Not all people my age are so savvy with technology or have transport.   So two of my elderly neighbours are still struggling to get the booster.   

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 10:59 PM, Blackrocksrock said:

I am due my 3rd (booster ) beginning December.   We have more cases now than we had last year in this area.  Visitors???  We still wear masks in shops and I think visitors from South of the border forget that!   

We are down south and still wear our masks, although I agree with you that lots of people aren't.

I don't know why people aren't wearing them but I feel proud when I wear mine.

Hopefully, we will get our boosters on Wednesday at a drop in clinic.

• Like 2

Our President has announced that a third vaccination will be compulsory for the over 65's and must be taken before the 15th December, otherwise their Health Pass is invalidated. It's advisory for the other groups and ours is booked for 14th December in the new 'Tuesdays only' facility in the Health Centre in town. Pfizer has stated they don't think it should be necessary, but the numbers here are rising rather quickly, so clearly it is. Masks are once again compulsory in schools.

I guess we are now in the early grip of winter, the numbers here are rising too, and I saw 50,000 cases in Germany yesterday.  I am too young to get a booster here, but I know from my Mum in the UK that the organisation for it was not as good as the rest of the vaccination programme as per Patricia's post above.  She was kept waiting a long time and complained in the end, as she was with a lot of younger people, hardly any of whom were wearing masks, at which point a doctor rushed out to check she was OK!  We still wear masks in the shops/indoors, although I don't think they are compulsory in shops, although most people still wear them.  I have to say I have already had at least one unpleasant cold type thing as has my Mum, plus we've both had infections, even though we live 1000 miles apart - but we did both catch the same very bad cold from someone who thought he had covid (he didn't, the test was negative) in the summer.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, Luvachicken said:

Just had my booster today as clinic is not operating tomorrow.

I'm still amazed at the number of people not wearing masks - shame on them - although they had to at the centre.

As various scientific studies have shown that masks make no difference to transmission of the coronavirus (trying to stop flies with a chain link fence) but do have a negative impact on the wearer by way of bacteria and less oxygen, why would you demonise people who read the science or who may have health reasons for not wearing one?  I have read that the development of children’s brains has been negatively impacted by mask-wearing.    

On 11/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, Daphne said:

I guess we are now in the early grip of winter, the numbers here are rising too, and I saw 50,000 cases in Germany yesterday.  I am too young to get a booster here, but I know from my Mum in the UK that the organisation for it was not as good as the rest of the vaccination programme as per Patricia's post above.  She was kept waiting a long time and complained in the end, as she was with a lot of younger people, hardly any of whom were wearing masks, at which point a doctor rushed out to check she was OK!  We still wear masks in the shops/indoors, although I don't think they are compulsory in shops, although most people still wear them.  I have to say I have already had at least one unpleasant cold type thing as has my Mum, plus we've both had infections, even though we live 1000 miles apart - but we did both catch the same very bad cold from someone who thought he had covid (he didn't, the test was negative) in the summer.

Do they use the PCR test for diagnosis in Germany?  Do you happen to know the number of cycles they use if so?  Also, have the numbers of tests increased recently?  This would be helpful to know as:  a PCR test should not be used on its own for diagnosis and not run at over 28 cycles (number varies slightly from 20-28) according to the inventor of the PCR, Kary Mullis; when more tests are run, more ‘cases’ are found.  (A case is someone being treated or in hospital otherwise it is an ‘infection’.). Interestingly, I was watching an interview with eight American doctors and scientists and one said that when he did PCR tests at his hospital he found that 91% of his patients had influenza A, not the coronavirus.  This chimes with a retired nhs statistician I follow who has access to electronic patient records for a hospital trust and he found that the vast majority of emergency admissions had been coded incorrectly as covid-19; only about 9 out of 161,000 admissions confirmed by symptoms, not the faulty PCR.  This may not be the case in Germany or other countries.   

On 11/12/2021 at 5:09 PM, Columbian said:

As various scientific studies have shown that masks make no difference to transmission of the coronavirus (trying to stop flies with a chain link fence) but do have a negative impact on the wearer by way of bacteria and less oxygen, why would you demonise people who read the science or who may have health reasons for not wearing one?  I have read that the development of children’s brains has been negatively impacted by mask-wearing.    

Please show us these scientific papers. As I really doubt a mask will have any impact on oxygen uptake for people without any diminished lung capacity. If it was the case, how would it be possible for all those hard working heroes in health care to get enough oxygen in a day.