vikpow

What do you do for a living?

Well apart from being a lazy dodo, I am supposed to be a company secretary for OH's business - which he does from home. Initially I was answering phones, marketing, sending samples, proof reading his circulars, post and odd job person. Nowadays I am char and tea lady :evil: , still proof read, sometimes chauffeur (or is it chauffeuse?) when he hurt his foot. :roll: And I hate that he works from home - it is so irritating, epecially when he starts shredding paper and chatting loudly on the phone at 6 o'clock in the morning. Bah humbug. But the bit I do like is when designers send fabric samples and I have to match up carpet samples. Or someone asks for a colour and I will sort that out too. Sadly the most popular carpet colours are neutrals - just no colour around now. And I have underlay instead of carpet on the stairs and I'm still waiting. :roll:

I used to work for Lloyds up in London and they wouldn't transfer me back to the sticks, so I left and ended up with Barclays until number one son came along. Then I did a brief stint working for a Buy to Let company before OH asked me to help him.

I used to be a dance teacher, taught ballet privately and 'dance' in State schools. When my children started arriving I gave it up and opened a shop recycling children's equipment, toys clothes etc.,

Now I am retired, I drink a lot of tea, play a lot of Scrabble and do a fair amount of grandchildren sitting, life is good :)

Tessa

On a bad day I provide day care for 18 year olds & upwards :roll:. On a good day I'm a university lecturer :D.

I like that description!! At least I now know that care is provided :doh: Not so different to me then. I am also a teacher in an 11-18 independent boys school in Manchester. I am a chemist by discipline and have been Head of Science in the past. I am now Head of Year 11 and I love the job.

We've been so busy with the business of purchasing a new house than I have neglected my duties as an Omleteer, so I have only just seen this thread :oops:

This year OH and myself planned to have a 'Gap Year', and all is going well.

For over 30 years, until March this year, I held a variety of posts as a Local Government Officer for our Local Authority, the last one being the GIS ad hoc service.

While waiting for OH to join me at home I kept myself busy knitting and getting in touch with my 'crafty' side....Cheeky Monkey etc.......

In June OH took early retirement from his post as HR Director for a food company.

We hadn't planned to take a long trip to foreign parts, just have time off the 9-5 treadmill and look for another house.

We've lived in this house for over 26 years and have now outgrown it, and at last we have found a house with a garden big enough for more chickens and a kitchen big enough for an AGA :dance::dance:

Once all is settled I intend to buy a tailors dummy and take up sewing (something I've wanted to do since leaving school and never found the time or space to make a go of it). The new house has more rooms than we have at the moment, so I can dedicate one to be a craft room 8)

Getting used to the AGA will keep us busy for a while through the winter, and hopefully with the produce from the garden, and my new craft venture, summer will keep us occupied.

It all sound a but 'Jam and Jerusalem' at the moment, the idea of Joining a local W.I is quite appealing :)

Great to read the other posting to see what you all do for a living.

Many years ago I intended leaving shool and going in to Nursing, but didn't get the grades I needed , so I joined the SJAB and was a member for over 25 years.

Regards,

Christine

:anxious: Used to be a pharmaceutical rep - sorry all the nurses and drs out there :wink:

Then had 2 gorgeous boys - did the dinner lady, cook stint - while I tried to get a job in Medical Writing :wink:.

Ended up in the best job ever - again working with animals AND children ( as worked in Safari Park as a student ) and now work as Science technician in an independant girls school 11-16yr olds.

Great fun - get to set up all manner of experiments and practicals, using my degree to some extent, but without having to take work home with me - except for the guinea pigs in the holidays :dance::lol:

I'm a stay at home to my 2 gorgeous boys and love it. I used to work for the local council in the traffic department, I used to mainly deal with parking tickets arising from the voucher parking system we used to have in Cardiff. Lots of angry phone calls, can't say I miss the job at all :D

Hubby is a video producer in the hospital, mostly doing lots of editing but gets to do some pretty interesting things too.

Looks like Im the only taxi driver then :lol: apart from the mums taxi(which I still have to do :wink: ) but in a former life I have worked in a bank,Sainsburys and the local hospital as..a health care assistant! I am just going back to college(enrolment day today..2 hours!!) to do holistic therapy..oking forward to it.. 8)

I am a Portage Worker and Nursery Nurse and I moderate some childcare courses at the local Adult Education Centre. Oh and I assess Childminders doing their quality assurance with the National Childminding Association.

All my jobs are term time only and I love them. I also love the holidays. :D

Back to work on Friday. :(