craftyhunnypie

What have you all been making?

Emma - this is the tutorial I used when I first made booties http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/A_sustainable_home/Making_felt_boots/

I don't use the washing machine though. Once the booties are felted enough to cut across the middle then I full them by hand. You can put a towel on a tray and finish them while watching TV! For the pattern/former I use one of the plastic mats you can buy for pet bowls - the cheaper then better! The sole needs to measure 9cm inside for a newborn (finished size)

For small amounts of coloured fibres try Torbay Textiles or Ebay.

I'll take a photo of the adults ones tomorrow - they took us 7 hours but that involved tuition and helping grandchildren and a visit from the chimney sweep!

Today...

I have made - a new pea frame on the allotment - my old one broke!

20 mini xmas cakes ready for xmas hampers

Some soaps ready just in time for xmas - orange and cinnamon, lemon honey and oat, lime and parsley and a coconut and lime... recipe taken from Kirstys homemade home book :-D except the coconut and lime:-D they smell delicious!

Lesley - what sort of soap do you use for felting? Oh & could you use a Poundland bamboo place mat? :anxious: How do you measure round a baby's foot, when the baby hasn't arrived yet? :think:

Last question, I don't have any underlay from laminate flooring - what else could I use?

I've got lots of merino tops & roving, presume they would be ok to use? Would love to give these a try - messy work, right us my street! I love messing, faffing & fiddling :lol:

Emma.x

Emma - .......For the pattern/former I use one of the plastic mats you can buy for pet bowls - the cheaper the better! The sole needs to measure 9cm inside for a newborn (finished size)

The plastic mats are fine for this sort of work - and when I have rubbed and felted the booties enough then I cut just the felt to separate into two booties and then ease each one off the pattern, then you still have the pattern to use again. I use hot water with a small amount of Ecover washing up liquid in to wet the fibres and then use olive soap for working on them. Merino Tops are what I use as they're so soft, For adult boots you can use a more hardwearing fibre as the outer layer and you can add slipper soles or non-slip paint to the soles,

I'll go and take the photo of our slippers and also of the pattern I use for the baby ones - I drew a baby foot shape which measured around 9cm and then added about an inch all around.

Thanks Lesley! I've got some olive soap that came with the merino tops - so got everything I need apart from a place mat. Hmm will have to go on a hunt for something silmilar in the house. :think:

Those soap bars are fab! Love handmade soap - always buy a bar when I see it on markets & fayres. We can't always use normal supermarket soaps as hubby has very sensitive skin, but handmade ones are usually fine.

Only ever done melt & pour soap making, never done it from scratch - I'll leave that to others I think! :D

Off to try a bit of felting I think. :anxious:

Emma.x

No they are edible (wipes frosting from round mouth) lol

Those pixie boots are ace! Payday on wednesday so sewing machine testing and shopping will commence! I will need some ideas of what to make as a starter as I haven't used one since GCSE art lol

I am thinking cushion covers to start maybe ¿?¿?¿?

Mine were thin plastic - as long as there is some flexibility then it should be fine, you need to be able to wriggle the booties off.

More felted stuff......

Felted stone paperweights...

DSCF2032.jpg

Keyrings for the next craft fair....

DSCF2025.jpg

Necklaces....

DSCF2026.jpg

For someones birthday.....

DSCF2013-1.jpg

The ones I've got are like flexible plastic - a bit like those flexi chopping boards you can get. I think they are like the Ikea ones. :think: I'm dying to have a go at this felting. Won't be half as good as Lesley, but it's a start!

Lesley - you amaze me, all that felting is brill!

Love everything - but that birthday prezzie is gorgeous! Lucky lady! :mrgreen:

Emma.x