craftyhunnypie

What have you all been making?

I made the blooming flower cushion using the excellent instructions on Attic24's blog. I love it.

Pics here: http://amandadonovan.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/my-blooming-flower-cushion/

I also made one glove. hahah. It's based on the wrist warmers in Attic24's blog. I made it longer so it more of an arm warmer and double crocheted the seams together. I will post a pic soon.

I hope it's okay to click on my blog, but I took the pic on my phone and uploaded it to wordpress and this is easier/lazy. haha. Will transfer them to my laptop later and update the post.

Here are my first two felting attempts, I am very proud of them but know I have a lot more improving to do. It was such fun spending a day with someone who could make such lovely things, I have so much more to learn!

First Attempt:

DSC_0011.jpg

Second Attempt:

DSC_0010.jpg

And while I'm showing my recent efforts, here's my ripple blanket, a real labour of love. It took me ages to do as I had a love/hate relationship with it in the middle section but now it is gracing the spare bed. It's easily big enough to cover a double bed and I'll put it on our king size bed as the nights get colder.

DSC_00052.jpg

Thank you :oops:

I think I'm definitely more comfortable with blues, purples and reds, I can't appreciate greens, oranges and yellows.

The kit is good, the wool tops are all sorted for you and all you have to do is follow the instructions to reproduce the patterns. Each felt panel is different to the others.

The kit I used is this one

Love the felting,saw that kit and some others for other bits in hobbycraft today and the big brush thingy and multi needle felter that kirstie used the other night on her show C4 was decretley nuging hubby saying look at these but think iit went in one ear and out the other.

That ripple blanket is beautiful and the colours are stunning.

Beautiful ripples 8) , Egluntyne did some of those they are fascinating. One day I'll have a go.

Love the felt, another hobby I have a real itch to have a go at. Going to the knitting and stitching show at Harrogate on friday so hope to get a kit of some sort. You're all a bad influence :lol:

Love the felt, another hobby I have a real itch to have a go at. Going to the knitting and stitching show at Harrogate on friday so hope to get a kit of some sort. You're all a bad influence :lol:

I have asked OH for a kit to allow me to try needle felting. I showed him the bit of Kirsties show to explain what I was wanting. Some people seem to use one needle and some use the tool that Kirstie had. OH has decided to try to buy the bits instead :shock: I hope he will manage ok :pray: If you see a good kit let me know the name of it please. I have been looking online but I am not sure about the ones I have seen.

I have just finished the top of my first quilt. Its not brilliant tbh as all the bars of fabric don't always line up as I imagined they would. I think I know what I did wrong though so next time should be better. Now I need to learn about wadding/batting, and choose that next......any advice appreciated

IMG_5501.jpg

don't know why the image is so small :oops:

Flipping heck you're ambitious thinking you can get them all lined up on your first quilt. It's very pretty, well done :clap::D .

Polydown batting Link is a good one to start with it handquilts easily and is nice in machine. You don't have to quilt too near together with it but your choice. It's polyester but lies nice.

Later on when you want a flatter wadding the hobbs heirloom 80/20 cottonlink and polyester is good to work with in the machine and gives a great finish but you need to wash it first because the cotton shrinks.

I tend to use the polydown for childrens quilts that need a lot of washing and the heirloom for more special ones. :D

There are some really lovely items on show in this thread, my ED had a go at wet felting with a lady at the Three Counties show in the summer, she really wanted to try the needle felting but elf & safety wouldn't allow it but she did buy a kit from the show and has made a few beads. Lesley your felted items are stunning, you have a lovely eye for colour :D

I have nearly finished a striped oddment polo neck jumper knitted entirely in k2 p2 rib in shades of brown and cream, I will post a photo when complete.

ED knitted a long hooded jacket with some vintage arran wool which we inherited from my gran, it has been lovely to see it used by another generation. :D She has had all sorts of gentle ribbing from her friends about it, but I think that they are secretly impressed, she is now making quilted cushion covers for her friends who all turn 18 over the next few months. :D

I have asked OH for a kit to allow me to try needle felting. I showed him the bit of Kirsties show to explain what I was wanting. Some people seem to use one needle and some use the tool that Kirstie had. OH has decided to try to buy the bits instead :shock: I hope he will manage ok :pray: If you see a good kit let me know the name of it please. I have been looking online but I am not sure about the ones I have seen.

Gilliangladrags is a good source of felting kits, or just a beginners wet felting kit with an assortment of colour wools 8)

Gilliangladrags is a good source of felting kits, or just a beginners wet felting kit with an assortment of colour wools 8)

I had had a look at this site before but thought it just had felt making kits and not needle felting but see I was wrong. Thank you for suggesting it :D (and getting me to take a proper look at it :lol: )

I'm going to Harrogate on Saturday!!! I'm so excited as I've never been to a Twisted Thread exhibition before!!!

Also checked the packaging on the Heirloom Fusible batting and it says DO NOT PREWASH. It's 80% cotton 20% Polyester. It also says it can shrink up to 3% which allows the batting to shrink after quilting and create the desired look of antique puckering. As I've not washed the two I've made so far I'm not sure how that looks!!!

Making a quilt for grandson for christmas as his present one is a little young, it was made when he went into his first full size bed.....he is 12 at christmas. :)

I haven't made a quilt since being diagnosed with RA....what use to take three days to make and be ready to top quilt , is just not happening, three days on and i am still strip piecing, not even cutting design yet ready to sew, but i know it will be done for say two weeks if i do some everyday.

I personally like Hobbs, or thermore batting, thermore do an extra low loft but is extremely warm, sews easily and washes and washes. I do like Hobbs cotton though for the rich feel of the finished quilt.

I was a bit of a surprise at how ££££££ materials are these days. I think i will be buying bargin bundles and charm packs, even jelly rolls in the sales...my stash is really low now i have raided it to make this quilt.