craftyhunnypie

What have you all been making?

I use Quilters Dream cotton batting. Lovely stuff to use, you just have to be a bit careful when doing the 'sandwich' bit- when you put the layers together on the floor ( I can't remember the techie term- LMW calls it making a quilt sandwich) as the wadding can stretch a bit. I tried polyester batting but it was a nightmare, my sewing machine didn't like it one bit.

Thanks for the warning about the polyester MrsWM, I rather like the sound of the iron on stuff. I will pop into the shop at the weekend to look at the prices, they sell from the roll which I am hoping will work out cheaper than the packs.

I am already wondering what to do for my next quilt. They had some fab batik fabric I fancy using, should I do they same design again and try to do a better quilt or try something completely different. I am thinking of putting the fabric on my christmas list :)

I can recommend The Quilt In A Day books. The Quilt In A Day website also has videos for some of the patterns ( but Eleanor Burns voice can get a bit much).

The other books which are good are the books by Karin Hellaby from Quilters Haven.I can recommend Sew Simple Logs and Sew Simple Pineapple. The only down side is they don't give fabric requirements ( or recipe as LMW puts it)

Both authors do very clear instructions with diagrams.

I too like working with batiks and my next quilt is a mix of batiks and swirly type fabrics..........using this pattern

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/books_display.asp?book=2nd_Edition_Radiant_Star_Quilts&i=30068&pg=

Ooo, I like the look of that series Mrs WM.

I don't know if I do need a book AJuff, most of my crochet ideas come from the web... any other good websites to suggest? Preferably fairly straightforward ones like Attic24s crochet one :-)

However there is something very reassuring about flicking open a book and looking at the different designs and diagrams but then again video tutorials can explain things so much better. I think I need something to start me off...

I've just looked at the website you recommended, it does seem straight forward :-)

That is a fantastic looking quilt Mrs WM, I can't wait to see yours :D

I did my first quilt from this book, as recommended on an earlier thread.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jelly-Roll-Quilts-Perfect-Making/dp/0715328638/ref=pd_sim_b1#_

I also used you tube, especially MQC as their videos are very clear, but there are plenty of others.

I too like working with batiks and my next quilt is a mix of batiks and swirly type fabrics..........using this pattern

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/books_display.asp?book=2nd_Edition_Radiant_Star_Quilts&i=30068&pg=

I love batiks but :shock: that pattern :shock: all those points. Kerrie made one like that and I think she may have finished it. Where are you Valkyrie?!