soapdragon Posted December 31, 2011 Share Posted December 31, 2011 Must be my age (47 but don't tell anyone! ) but its just another night and I am fed up with us and small ones woken by fireworks/thoughtless people screaming and shouting into the wee small hours! Each to their own but could people not celebrate with others in mind - each New Year we are kept awake for hours by fireworks going on and on and those returning from the pub/parties through till 3/4am . I can understand the fuss and fun at midnight for a while but things seem to get strung out till the small hours.......some of us oldies need our sleep as do small children who don't understand what is going on. Its just before 8.00pm now and fireworks are going off already.......how I wish we could afford somewhere more 'out in the country' tho we only live in a smallish village ! No doubt others will think I am a spoilsport but please, please us oldies and the very youngsters, need our sleep! Rant over - off to get a few hours in before the mayhem starts!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surfer_chicken Posted December 31, 2011 Share Posted December 31, 2011 And the 17 year olds I can't be bothered with it all. One of my friends described it well "biggest anticlimax of the year". I live on a fairly main street so new years eve has always been the night when I get no sleep due to fireworks/people on their way home in the early hours, not something I look forward to! Fireworks started an hour ago hear, so no chance to get some hours in Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kazzy73 Posted December 31, 2011 Share Posted December 31, 2011 Sat here trying to comfort my dog as he hates fire works wont go out in the garden for his business just sits and shakes from head to toe and we still have I dont know how many hours of fireworks oh what such fun my poor baby Diesel (a big soppy staffie) Happy New Year Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted December 31, 2011 Share Posted December 31, 2011 But surely you were once like those youngsters and someone else was grouchy at you? Let then have their fun Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 You can't get much more 'out in the sticks' than us........fireworks keep fading & restarting...can't go to bed til they stop as I don't want to get up to doggy accidents cos the scaredy pups won't go outside And Tasha, you know how old I am, and I think I bypassed the teenage years......trying hard to relive some aspects tho Happy New Year everyone xxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Some fireworks last night boomed like a bomb and I could feel them in the house. Then of course there were the inevitable drunk, sick, overly dramatic young women who wanted everyone to join in their Eastenders moment. All followed by the inevitable police and ambulance sirens dealing with more people who seem amazed and unable to cope with this annual event. It's the same with summer, it seems to take some people by surprise even though it happens on a regular basis. Get a warm night and people behave stupidly. I've woken up right grouchy and thinking that some people have far too much leisure time and disposable income. Happy New Year? Bah humbug. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 The way I see it is: it is the one night of the year this behaviour is guaranteed. So, instead of getting uptight about it, I just let it roll over me, all the while thinking ... this is the reason afternoon naps were invented Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 and another reason I'm cross is the effect on my little chickens. They started calling, shouting loudly, as soon as they detected movement from us which is unusual for them. I went out but although I opened up the coop, put down food & water, I still had to get a corn cob to coax them out. They normally hurtle out making hello noises. I think they were scared, it was like when they see a fox. Some of the explosions last night were too big for a residential area. I tried to be positive about New Year but now I am not. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 But surely you were once like those youngsters and someone else was grouchy at you? Let then have their fun My thoughts exactly It is only once a year,& it is cause for celebration for youngsters....I remember it was for me once too! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 I agree - it was always exciting to me because you spent it with friends (unlike Christmas with the family) - I don't get that excited about it now, but I'm not a teenager/young twenties! Fireworks here only went on for about half an hour, not nearly as bad as November. I'm just glad to have woken up with a clear head, feeling refreshed and ready to get on with things today! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 I don't agree. Lots of animal groups have matriarchs that hold things together. It's right to watch over young people. Having partied hard in my youth means I know how ill and vulnerable those kids are in the early hours and as a policewoman I saw some of the horrible consequences. I honestly don't think its bad to keep them in check. Older people told me off, still do, I got told off by an old lady in waitrose yesterday. Not sure why she was cross with me. That's how it is. I won't ever accept that someone being sick outside my house is ok. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
pips_pekins Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 We expect all the fireworks through the evening and sit with our poor shaking dog until it stops. But I did lose my patience with it all when someone started their firework display at 1.05am this morning with the loudest ones of the night. We are surrounded by houses and it would have disturbed many families and at that time is just shows a stuff others mentality which annoys me. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 I should go on that grumpy old women programme today. Sorry folks! Feel better after lots of coffee and some tidying up. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Whilst I agree that someone being sick outside your house is not acceptable, it is New Year; A massive celebration around the world. Some will always do things in excess, alcohol at New Year being the major problem. Not saying it is right, but it happens. I'm not a huge fan of it and am glad to see the back of 2011 Just grateful for my home, food, clean water and medical help should I need it. I think people forget just how lucky we are living in this Country. Many have far less than we do. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
percy049 Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 The first fireworks went off at 4:30pm last night! That was the major firework display though for the holiday resort. You could hear the fireworks going off at the town near to us, and the dark being replaced by light. Most of the partying quietened down by 00:30 I think (or else I just didn't hear it as I was asleep!) PS: I only heard one siren going up/down the A12, but people are more likely to go to hospital after midnight I would have of thought Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Everyone can find good & bad in every year. I like to put it behind me & move on, remembering the good things of the past year & thinking of the nice things the future year will bring. It's no use living in mizzy mood - we all have to 'chin up' & get on with it all! Let youngsters have their fun. Us adults can be a bit embarrassing & have our fun occassionally too! No fireworks round here, just good friendly spirit! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scubababe Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Well I sat here cuddled on the sofa with hubby, bottle of Champagne, roaring fire, watching the New Year being counted in on TV. Puppy was out in garden & Springer was asleep on sofa. Then the fireworks started, dashed out to get puppy in and she was no where to be seen, dashed back in house, nope definitely not in the house, grabbed torch and started searching back yard...panicking now hubby grabbed a torched and joined in the search..puppy then dashed into the house ....PHEW!! She must have hid. I am more annoyed that I didn't have her in when the fireworks started, but in my defence we live in a smallish village and normally we don't have that many fireworks going off....we have new neighbours about 3 doors down!! Well I know for next time, puppies will be in & tucked up! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Not grouchy (makes a change having been the one to post Xmas blues). We had a lovely evening - no fireworks as we have cats and hens - meal with 2 other couples (12 of us with the kids) then back to mine. Saw new year in with party poppers and trying to light 2 chinese lanterns which went up in flames and had to be extinguished before anyone was burnt. Main grouse - ES was dropped at female friends (large house unlike ours) after midnight for party and a whole load were staying over as agreed by girls mom. At 2.30am phone went the boys had been chucked out she decided they couldnt stay and said she wasnt bothered how they got home. Now this is the rougher end of our town past an estate which houses problem famillies - ES was with 5 mates and they were walking the mile and half home (they are 15 and 16 yr olds) I was worried and rang him to say I;d pick up and chuck 2 in the boot and drop off but he said not too worry but could I put a mate up whose folks were out and he hadnt got a key. They arrived back safely thank God - but no thanks to this mum . i would never agree to party as my house is too small. Thank goodness she didnt chuck the girls out. This week there have been several murders in the UK (one just up the road from us - now can you see why I was worried - throwing kids out even strapping lads is irresponsible. Can I just add boys were not misbehaving and spent a long time consoling their friend who was in tears. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 meant to add Happy New year and good health to everyone Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janepie33 Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Oooops. Hope we didn't wake anyone up on our way home at 3am from get together with 2 other couples. We had planned to walk up a hill and watch the fireworks in London (good view of the London Eye on a clear day) but it rained do we stayed in and celebrated with a glass of something fizzy and a packet of indoor sparklers. I love New Year's Eve and my teenage years are long long gone! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Adelochick Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Just want to say Alis girls that I also would be absolutely horrified if that happened to any of my children, and shows how utterly irresponsible some parents are, even more so late into the night with the knowledge that other youngsters have been killed recently!! Hope all is okay with your son and his friends. Not such a happy new year start! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Thanks Adelochick = hes fine and has had lots of phone calls from girl apologising. one of his mates had to walk the last part alone - i did tell ES he couldve stayed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 That is shocking! What on earth was the mum thinking chucking them out at that time of night? What a time to change her mind about arrangements. Thank goodness they got home ok. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scubababe Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Alis girls, I am horrified that a mother could do that. I am soo sorry that your boys were treated like that, that is utterly appalling I am really glad that they got back ok..what a nightmare! The amount of times we've had bodies draped over sofa's, chairs...in every room!! I wouldn't dream of throwing anyone out after a party...we have a rule...if there's space....claim it!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sageandonion Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 Alis girls - glad your son and his friends are ok. Not sure what that woman was thinking , awful way to treat them all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...