The Dogmother

The Weather Thread # 7

Calm after the storm here this morning, a lovely sunny start.

Yesterday was vile! Howling gales and torrential rain. Came within inches of flooding... mainly because the farmer up the lane doesn't clean out his storm drains! Living at the bottom of the track means that everything comes whooshing down to us :(

Hope they're wrong about Christmas and that this weather front blows itself off course! :pray:

It was horrendous here late afternoon and evening yesterday. :shock: Things blowing everywhere and the rain at one point was so heavy we couldn't see across the road.

Lovely morning here today, but more heavy rain and maybe slushy snow forecast for later, and again tomorrow afternoon and evening. Works Christmas do tomorrow lunchtime into the evening, further from the bus stop than normal and I am not good in heels maybe I will go for the little black dress and wellies look. :lol:

We seemed to have escaped the worst of it here. Still horribly muddy everywhere.

Living at the bottom of the track means that everything comes whooshing down to us :(

:

We live at the bottom of a track as well and the people at the top dig trenches to direct all the water away from them and down to us :twisted: . I have asked them not to as it causes us problems with all the water but they just shrug their shoulders and carry on :wall: .

If they are interfering with the drainage, then you may be able to get some help form your local highways Agency in dealing with it; I know of someone with a similar problem, they told the highways dept that it was 'flooding the road' and they were out like a shot, and had words with the person causing the problems.

I live halfway up a hill; it is N E facing, so freezes solid once we get below zero, but I regularly have to ring the highways folks to jet the gutter drains in the road as they get blocked and the storm water just rushes down the road and floods the cellars of the houses at the bottom.

Our track is owned by the farm and they are not interested in doing any maintenance as they no longer use it to access any of their land, we have paid to put in a soak away for the worst of the water but when we have a deluge it can't keep up.

We also have one street light and when the trees obscure it we end up cutting them back as the council say its the farms responsibility and the farm won't do it.

Life's too short to argue with the farm :roll: .

Clear this morning, an 'interestingly cold' breeze and ice everywhere. Watched a car in front do a ballet turn on one of the lanes this morning :shock: The lane to the estate is very white, and the drive hasn't been gritted yet, so care is needed. It's always far worse this side of the M40 than at home; we're higher here too, which doesn't help.

Take care on the roads everyone.

It was very icy here too DM.

Thursday morning DS's GF ended up off the road due to ice on the country lanes near where they live, DS who went to her rescue nearly fell over when he got out of his car :(

GF is ok but bruised, car is likely to be written off, garage says it is beyond repair. Thank goodness she had a modern car (Fiat 500) with all the airbags and safety bits not an old banger.

Chrissie

Sounds nasty, glad she is ok. We had a cold bright start yesterday and the wind was string and cold all day. We were out for the work Christmas lunch and the went into a pub afterwards, we sat outside all evening but had to move under the smoking cover when it started raining at about 8.30pm, it was horrible later and we opted for a taxi home rather than walking.

Lovely and fresh here this morning quite mild compared with yesterday.

We started with sunshine then watched heavy rain approach at about 10am first a rainbow with dark clouds over the Malvern hills followed by increasing darkness and very heavy resin within 10 minutes. Reined for about 45 minutes then the sun came back, Bernard cold fresh and blustery since.

Tomorrow looks like the sort of day to stay in cosy by the fire.

Friday looks pretty nasty too, we are going to a wedding 3 hours away then, really hoping it will be ok.

Vile here... just been flooded :(

We had a muddy river cascading down our track and lapping under the front door. We've managed to build a dam to try and divert the water away from our front door and so far so good and it's pouring down the side of the house. Could have been worse- thankfully we were in, so could act fairly quickly.

More heavy rain on its way and a biting, vicious wind. It's so horrible!!

Lovely way to spend the day... knee deep in fast flowing diluted cow dung!!

Going to try and sort out my hall carpet now... arghhhhhh :evil:

Vile here. I have been insulated at work all day & had no idea it was quite as bad as it is.

The Husband came to pick me up & was almost hit by a very large tree, which he then had to cut up with his saw to continue on his way. Came across 2 more big trees down over the road on the way back to the village too.

Nasty,nasty day.

It rhe wind picks up now, as predicted, we might see a few more down as the ground is so wet :?

Just returned from dropping Mother at bus stop in Benson (7 miles away) and had one of the very worst journeys in 29 years of driving.....terrifying. Was like someone constantly chucking skiploads of water at the car plus loads of standing water and flooding on pitch black country roads.

Eugggggggh.......drive carefully all and stay safe!

It had died down a bit by the time I left work, but driving home was still pretty worrying. Less windy now but still raining, The Cherwell looked pretty high when we drove past, and we have flood alerts in place.

We have lots of natural springs at work, and some of them are now spurting up through the ground :shock: