Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

I am expecting a parcel tomorrow from some courier or other and apparently it might be delivered at any time up until 23.59!  Lets hope not as we will be up till 1am this morning, waiting for my brother to arrive off a plane from Portugal, where I am not, right this minute, very bad planning on our part!

We are lucky in that we still have a Post Office in the village with tiny sorting office attached. It's a Godsend! Our regular posties know us and where to leave stuff but problems can occur when they have relief staff on. However, if they do end up taking parcels back to the post office then it's only a 5 minute trot round to collect it...........everyone in the village trys to use it as much as possible and it also helps that two other villages have lost theirs so now use ours thus increasing business and, hopefully, making ours less likely to shut.

• Like 1

Love the Dutch - I remember going to the Royal Tournament and they had their marine band - I think they had the loudest cheers for their performance.  That year was particularly good and my dad went and bought the LP (or "big CD" as my son would say) -  bagpipes, the marines, all sorts. I would love to nip across the channel (ferry - not underground or miles above ground) and visit there one day.  

21 hours ago, soapdragon said:

I've just read that the Dutch Brexit Party are holding a farewell party for Britain on 31st October! Apparently tickets cost 19.73 Euros (reflecting the year that Britain joined) and they plan to wave to us across the North Sea. Bless them 🙋‍♀️

Are you going CT 🤣

• Haha 1

We have Dutch friends here who left Holland to escape the pollution caused largely by intensive animal farming. In fact there are a lot of Dutch down here, together with Scottish, Belgian, American and of course English. Nearby there is a lovely and quite big Dutch-owned camp site complete with a fairy-tale style chateau. Our friends tell us that during the holiday season they take weekly deliveries of an articulated lorry full of Dutch foodstuffs.

I needed to paint some brackets orange and rummaged through a dusty box full of small cans. Found a rusty can of Humbrol Enamel which I know is 50 years old, so didn't expect it to be much use when I opened it. To my amazement after a good stirring the paint applied well and dried perfectly! I also found tins of water-based paint which had rusted through in a few years; perhaps because they were stirred with a screwdriver which scratched through the protective coating on the metal?

3 hours ago, Beantree said:

We have Dutch friends here who left Holland to escape the pollution caused largely by intensive animal farming. In fact there are a lot of Dutch down here, together with Scottish, Belgian, American and of course English. Nearby there is a lovely and quite big Dutch-owned camp site complete with a fairy-tale style chateau. Our friends tell us that during the holiday season they take weekly deliveries of an articulated lorry full of Dutch foodstuffs.

Unless you live next door to a pig farm, I don’t see how this would cause a direct effect on people. The air quality in the Rotterdam-The Hague-Amsterdam area can be quite bad, but that’s down to the motorway traffic. I personally find the air quality in London worse, as a few days London will have coated the inside of my nose with black soot, something I never experience at home.

Oh no! I was just coming on here to boast that London has just been declared the nations newest forest. Some interesting facts.... 

Tomorrow the Forestry Commission will get its first chief for the capital, which it describes as "the largest urban forest in the world".

London is already remarkably heavily wooded. The commission says that there are some 65,000 woodlands and stands of trees in the city, covering over 17,500 acres, just under a fifth of the entire area of Greater London. Over 12,000 acres of this is made up of sizeable woods of at least 22 acres. And two-thirds of it is registered as ancient woodland, suggesting that it is part of the original forest which once covered the country.