Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Oh crikey - the bins need emptying or worse will happen!  The authorities will sort that out when they realise they've made an oversight and need to take their bins out!

I have popped the card through the door of our elderly neighbour - just as the little dog was being let out.  I felt so sad as the little thing came up for a petting and I didn't want to risk it so she begged and I had to resist.  Poor mite.  But while I don't appear to have anything yet, there are outsiders making deliveries and handling our gates, so didn't want to add to the issues - card in opposite hand so that was untouched apart from by me - card inside a wrapper and bought years ago!  I did try to think about it!

We over 70s and/ or vulnerable people, are supposed to stay indoors with no visitors.   We aren’t meant to go shopping but some people have no option so go early if they can.   You are meant to wash the shopping with soap and water too! Our local community is getting together to organise a shopping service at the moment. I’m helping them remotely by organising volunteers. 

We can go out for a walk or walk the dog but must stay 2m from anyone.  Then when we go back in, we have to either wear gloves, or disinfect the door knob before opening.   Then when we are in we have to wash our hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.   

This is potentially going on for 4 months.   Thank goodness we have a large garden! 

It will take some adjusting to at first, but my guess is that we will all be doing it without thinking before long.

Local businesses here are all rallying around - a cab company is offering free rides to 'the vulnerable group' to go shopping or pick up prescriptions. My friend's Dutch cafe is doing deliveries now. I hope that this spirit carries on after the pandemic is over.

• Like 1

DD lives next door to an elderly woman (meaning older than me!) who has just returned from Tenerife.  She said she was staying indoors but when DD asked if she'd like any shopping done, she replied she'd already been to the Co-Op!  The mentality is like my MIL - self isolation means stay at home unless you want to do something outside - in other words carry on as normal!  Selfish - or is it just the old'uns thinking they are fine and this is nothing?  

Meanwhile, I hadn't been home long when we had a phone call - our elderly neighbour's son.  I didn't realise she had family living relatively close as he visits on Thursdays.  We had a super chat and he was absolutely delighted that we had considered their mum.  So food-wise for the time being she will be OK - definitely the phone chats.  He said he'd been telling her to call her friends if her children couldn't visit - he has diabetes stage 1 so also being very careful.  He said it's so weird being with his family but having to stay the other side of the room to chat.  Then they saw the card so he immediately rang so we can add her number to the OK list instead of getting the Spanish Inquisition security hash tag!  :lol:  And if we are all shut off then at least we are on standby - even if we only wave through the windows!  

Meanwhile our other slightly older neighbours have collected their mum/MIL who is 98!  OH has said they are more than welcome to help out with our egg glut!  We can't take them to our young'uns or old'uns.  Text immediately returned ooooooh yes pleeeeeease!  

Our rules have been tightened and more clearly defined. Beaches are now out-of-bounds; quite why I can't think?

Now that Italy has a higher toll than China the news was running an analysis of mortality rates. France 2%, Germany 1%, Italy 8%, figures which vary because of numbers infected and availability of critical care units. Germany has 600 units per 100,000 population whereas Italy only has 230. Now these figures bothered me a lot because it was announced yesterday that the UK has 7000 ventilators with plans to increase that to 12,000. Now my maths says that's presently just 12 units per 100,000 population, or am I getting something mixed up?

I find this statistics business very odd - given that the UK are now only testing those being admitted/going to hospital how can they get a clear picture of how many of us already have (or have had) the virus and stayed home alone? I've always felt that statistics can be very misleading;not all of the countries are using the same 'baseline' for calculations. What cannot be argued with,though, is the death toll. 

Horrified to hear that schools now may not re open until SEPTEMBER! Forget loo rolls, I shall be stockpiling peanut butter (one has crunchy, the other smooth 😖) not sure there will be enough! With a monosyllabic 15 year old and  a teenager in waiting, OH working from home and menopausal me it's uncertain as to who will murder who first. So, if it all goes quite and you don't hear from Soapy again........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What is annoying me this morning (in the news) is that there's a certain mindset determined to ignore the warnings, flocking to bars and pubs to party away. They think that Covid 19 is 'just another type of 'flu' and that they will get over it....;. they MAY be OK and have a mild dose, feel poorly and recover.

BUT

They may struggle with the lasting lung damage which some people have after Covid has left their system.

They may also (and this is unforgiveably selfish) bring the virus back to their friends and families, infecting those who are more vulnerable and may die as a result. This all puts a heavy burden on out already over-stretched health service and professionals.

Grrrrr

On a positive note, it is a lovely morning after all that rain yesterday  - I am off out to enjoy the sunshine with my dogs for company, and then work outside 😎

• Like 1

I'm going to stockpile hand cream!  So need to take out shares in Atrixo!:lol:

I know the statistics are loopy - it's just based on the ones that they know about, so how many more out there we do not know.  Saw the nurse who was in tears this morning.  I think that supermarkets should be made known who the care workers are and should they be in need, there is a reserve in place.  Or have a special but secret warehouse dedicated for them - because it could be raided knowing the weird minds of a lot of the population.  Very sad state of affairs.  

Soooo life in this household carries on tickety boo.  For some reason I'm up early (what!!!!!!!!  I'm an owl for goodness sake!) and by 8am we were fitting new smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to the house.  Now we don't have a cellar, but our utility is now named The Cellar for their identification purposes.  We even have apps on our phones should we be away from the house and test while we are away.  Yeah, like that's happening any time soon.  But maybe a prank from the veg patch . . . :whistle:

There is sunshine.  My Marie Kondo the weather seemed to work!  But there is also cloud soooo it is a veg plot day.  Have ordered wool to be sent to my mum - she has itchy knitting fingers and seeing as her effort to make me a pullover for my birthday (which I tried on last week) found it to be more like a crop top, she has run out of wool.  She said should she put it in the freezer before she uses it.  :roll:  Just wash your hands mother.

She thinks she is getting the army boys around.  I told her I'm getting the Navy.  She wants sailors.  I said I'd send her some as long as she behaved herself!  Where she lives, she has the Yorkshire Regiment - she's always got army boys around!:lol:

Well, the more I think about it the more I think the French news report has got its figures wrong and the number of units is per 1,000,000 population.

Given that the populations of UK, Germany and France are about the same, the UK is testing twice as many per day as Germany and perhaps that's why we aren't seeing a huge surge in cases, because the infected are spotted and isolated earlier, together with their contacts. Seems everyone has a slightly different approach to this virus.

Had another rule breaker this morning cycling past the house. The only cyclists allowed are those going to work, so if I want to go out for food shopping I have to use the car and now must be alone in it.

Well I've given up trying to live any kind of normal life. I've got my gym and I can walk around the block and parks. I hate feeling closed in which is why I stay in London but even London is shutting down. Quick Sainsbury trip this morning which was disappointing. I bake my own bread but people have bought all the flour and yeast. I wonder how much of that will be just thrown away in a few weeks. For people worrying about their health they don't buy much in the way of fresh food. Yoghurt and fresh juice, fruit and vegetables full up. Loads of fresh food available but you know, so long as the garage is full of loo roll you'll be ok. Last week there was no ibuprofen now there's no paracetamol. One of my boys and I bought a variety of products and made our own moisturising anti bacterial hand wash. I have always bought hand cream like it's going out of fashion so I'm OK for that. By the way avocado oil is a great emulsifier and I rub some into my skin every day. After our first trip to Japan we got into the habit of hot towels before eating and always carrying hand wipes with us anyway. We were bulk buying handwipes for years, long before all this. 

The Portuguese news said yesterday we have 5 ventilators per 100,000 pop, and Germany have 38, so perhaps the French news was wrong.  Although I have to say I take everything with a large pinch of salt and am not trusting anything to do with stats.  OH is a keen cyclist, apparently he is allowed out, but to be on the safe side if he does decide to go out he will cycle down to the village with panniers, buy food and cycle back.  Its only about 12 miles round trip but involves masses of climbing, its too much for me unless I am on an ebike.  So, one must be alone in a car in France?  Is that an actual rule?   We were in the Algarve earlier this week visiting young relatives to make sure they were OK.  We arrived to find that Spain had locked itself down during our journey and said nobody allowed on beaches amongst other things.  At that point we were allowed on ours, and I believe we still can use them.  I realise that if there are hordes of people its not a good idea, but in March thats really not an issue, there are miles of empty sand.  I would have thought its a cheap blessing, to get good clean air, paddle or swim and feel the sun on your face, no need to touch anything or breathe over strangers.

DM - My Mum told me that this morning her elderly diabetic neighbour had had a call from her granddaughter who was self isolating, asking her to fetch some groceries.  Which she did and she kindly brought my Mum some things as well as I have been failing for days to get an online delivery slot anywhere (although actually I was up at 4am today, and by some miracle a few had become free, hurrah!)  What is wrong with people, to ask a vulnerable family member to go out (there are plenty of other local family members)?  

PL - we can't get avocado oil, but I am considering learning whether olive oil can be used instead.  I know my Mum has always used almond oil, but I don't want to go round smelling like an olive! Currently I use Palmers something or other which smells of cocoa.  A friend of mine used to use it, until someone told her she smelled like a cake!

Valkyrie - your Mum should get together with my MIL, a Yorkshire lass as well!  She is 92 and has Alzeheimers.  Yesterday she told OH that she was younger than my Mum (she isn't) and that was why she attracted lots of admirers😀

Edited by Daphne
typo
  • Haha 2

Do people think these lockdowns will have an effect on some people's mental health? What will be done with homeless people? Does anyone think the fall out on a different type of vulnerable people will be greater than the disease itself? What if you're a family with desperate parents and kids all cooped up in a small flat with no garden and you're not allowed out? People are demanding lockdowns but I'm really concerned about this. 

I’m amazed at how some people are still selectively deaf.  Or daft.  Not sure which.  I phoned my cousin, 80 who was very ill with pneumonia only last winter. First time he wasn’t in, then when I finally got him, he’d been shopping in Sainsbury’s.  When I told him he should be self isolating with his wife, he said he hadn’t heard that!  He lives near Middlesborough.. are communications with the North so bad?  But the worst is my elderly neighbour who has lodgers- 5 young people still going out.  She has appointed herself to look after probably our frailest couple in the street.  Saw her sailing past in her car today having been shopping and then going in for a ‘cup of tea’ with them!  Ye gods..... I despair..

On a positive note, OH has started tidying cupboards that haven’t been open in 10 years.  Amazing what you find that you think you’d lost! 

FIL rang us today and OH had a nice chat with him - self isolating of course, but MIL was at the hairdressers.  :roll:  

DD saw families with elderly grandparents playing in the park at lunchtime today - she thought they weren't supposed to be with the old'uns.  Definitely no social distance with parents and friends walking close together too!

I was under the impression that one of the hotel chains was going to open its doors to homeless people so that it would get them off the street, thereby making it safe for not only the homeless, but for the more fortunate people.  Got a feeling it was Holiday Inn but I'm not sure.

39 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

I’m amazed at how some people are still selectively deaf.  Or daft.  Not sure which.  I phoned my cousin, 80 who was very ill with pneumonia only last winter. First time he wasn’t in, then when I finally got him, he’d been shopping in Sainsbury’s.  When I told him he should be self isolating with his wife, he said he hadn’t heard that!  He lives near Middlesborough.. are communications with the North so bad?  But the worst is my elderly neighbour who has lodgers- 5 young people still going out.  She has appointed herself to look after probably our frailest couple in the street.  Saw her sailing past in her car today having been shopping and then going in for a ‘cup of tea’ with them!  Ye gods..... I despair..

On a positive note, OH has started tidying cupboards that haven’t been open in 10 years.  Amazing what you find that you think you’d lost! 

Both Tricia and Jude have hit the mark there on both counts; I am aware of an alarmingly high number of people who just don't understand the implications, nor how to go about isolation. There are others who plainly just don't care and are still out at pubs and clubs. Then there's the implication of isolation on mental health - I have been ringing my dad every day, not just for a natter, but to make sure that he understands what the isolation entails. 

My mother and father (both 86 - Dad with dementia and Mum suffering from breathlessness and survivor of both bowel and breast cancer) are self isolating although Mum told me on the 'phone today that they'd been into Reading on public transport to pick Dad's glasses up at Specsavers. I am fuming, having told them to call and get them posted. 

Glad pubs etc are now closing - I felt very cross that schools had been shut but not pubs etc so now hopefully all on an equal footing. 

We are trying to impart the importance of being extremely careful to our boys (15 and 12) without scaring the living doodahs out of them Don't want to worry them unduly but they do need to understand....hard to strike a middle course (esp with their grandparents behaving so irresponsibly). OH has gone a bit weird and keeps telling me he has a 10% chance of dying - he has got all the life insurance and pension stuff together for me and has been insistent that I go through it with him; it's totally freaking me out!

Edited by soapdragon
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

For those of you wanting to stay fit and healthy during isolation, the Les Mills fitness group is streaming free workout videos which you can do at home. I haven't tried any yet!

https://watch.lesmillsondemand.com/at-home-workouts

Brilliant!! My yoga school have switched to streaming already but I usually go to Body Pump once a week too. Not sure what I’ll do for weights at home though? Chicken in each hand?