Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

I’m hoping we can still go to Spain mid May.  Also I’ve got two Art exhibitions, end of this month and early May.  Both up in the air now. But the main thing is that we beat this virus.  Main impact is that it overwhelms the healthcare systems even in advanced countries.   In some hospitals here, only life threatening operations are going ahead because staff are diverted to dealing with or preparing for the epidemic. 

I think you have done the right thing too.  My old neighbour was due to fly to India this weekend, but heard that it has been cancelled.  She's happy although her husband is very disappointed.  She has bad asthma too. 

Yesterday I took mum on a joy ride to Flyte so Fancy.  It was only a quick run - served a purpose of not only seeing my mum - because who knows when we'll be able to meet up again - my brother has put her under curfew from now on and will get her shopping for her.  The other reason was that I'd been getting rather down with all the rubbish weather, so the scenic trip was good for me also.  She enjoyed her day out too.  Exhausted by the time I got home (was up at 4am - rain pitter pattering and then the big drips splatting on the window ledge wasn't exactly helping me to go back to sleep!  

I'm due to go on retreat in Hertfordshire on the 21st.  I gather that county has the most cases - and we are all old fogeys (well, a fair few of us are over 60) and one lady has ME and she gets floored by the common cold!  So it doesn't sound like a good plan to go.  But we need to wait for them to cancel.  My asthma is playing up - not sure if it is due to the damp or the heating drying my throat, so I really don't want to take the risk either!  Oh deary me!

I think it seems we will all eventually catch it and hope for mild symptoms. The unknown is who will need an ICU bed and there aren’t that many and even if they were able to magic up respirators it is a very skilled area of nursing and I don’t think there is the trained staff to cope. I would guess the Italian statistics are more true , I certainly felt China would never give a true account of scale of disaster. It is a worry for those in family that have health issues and if school are on lockdown which seems likely eventually I am not looking forward to 4 bored boys plus 2 bored grandchildren to look after. As we live near the beach I have ordered new buckets and spades off amazon and they can practice the art of buildings sandcastles.

I’m sure I’m imagining my way into symptoms. I’ve had a bit of an on and off cough today which is getting worse this evening and I don’t know whether I’m trying to convince myself that I have or haven’t got it 🙄 I don’t think I have - I haven’t knowingly been with anyone that has it - I think I’ve probably got either a cold or hay fever - I’m not even slightly worried but once you get something in your head it can be really difficult to figure out what you think!

We went to Spain yesterday for cheap shopping, thinking that we had better go before the border is closed. Couldn't believe how many French had the same idea, as the town was packed.

Our little dog has been out hunting as the weather is good. She didn't just beat her previous record for ticks bought back, she smashed it!!! Previous record was six and she came back with ten. On the plus side she bought back two mice and a rat.

• Thanks 1

I went to my local Tesco yesterday, just to do my usual weekly shop. It was totally rammed, looked more like it was the run up to Christmas or something! 

The shelves containing toilet roll, pasta, rice and hand sanitizer were totally bare.

image.thumb.png.50d277630c4c0ca7ec5f8b815396644d.png

• Confused 1

I had a Tesco delivery yesterday - still can't get out to the shops myself - and the only thing that was missing was loo roll. I'd only ordered the usual 2 packs and, as we only have the bog standard stuff, (no pun intended, I mean the cheapo rolls!) I had hoped for an upgrade to posher items but zilch! We have plenty of old copies of the Daily Mail though and I shall be putting the boys to work cutting them into squares, should the worst come to the worst!

Listening to the wireless this morning there was much talk of 'herd immunity' whereby the vast majority get Corona, develop immunity and then it dies out as it has no one new to infect. Several people with impressive sounding titles (can't remember who!) seemed to think that this was the way that it would finally end. 

3 hours ago, soapdragon said:

I had a Tesco delivery yesterday - still can't get out to the shops myself - and the only thing that was missing was loo roll. I'd only ordered the usual 2 packs and, as we only have the bog standard stuff, (no pun intended, I mean the cheapo rolls!) I had hoped for an upgrade to posher items but zilch! We have plenty of old copies of the Daily Mail though and I shall be putting the boys to work cutting them into squares, should the worst come to the worst!

Listening to the wireless this morning there was much talk of 'herd immunity' whereby the vast majority get Corona, develop immunity and then it dies out as it has no one new to infect. Several people with impressive sounding titles (can't remember who!) seemed to think that this was the way that it would finally end. 

I was in asda yesterday - no loo rolls not that I needed any but had been in Lidl and they had loads - met someone I knew with a disabled wife who had been in twice to Asda looking for toilet rolls - sent him to Lidl.   Its quite sad to think of people buying too many and others struggling - mind you I bought about 9 weeks ago lots of Andrex on offer so have enough to keep us going for months.  Would give some away if I knew people were that desperate.   That is my way of shopping and storing all year round same with kitchen rolls (usually buy 18 at a time ) as I live 20 miles from the big supermarkets it was nothing to do with the virus.  Usually Scotland in winter you have to be prepared but must admit for the last few years no requirement for a big stock as weather not so bad just wet and windy.

I thought you could not get immunity to a virus but I may be wrong as the common cold is a virus and we all or most of us get that more than once!

I'd thought the same with regard to a virus but the 'Herd immunity' thing was quite big on the wireless this morning so I decided these 'experts' probably knew a bit more than me.......I have heard that the reason that you get fewer colds as you get older is that, with each strain that you catch, you gain immunity from further infections from that strain. Both my boys seemed to have constant colds when younger but, as they get older, are def catching fewer. OH and I hardly ever get colds now (probably famous last words!!!) I have stocked up on vit c and zinc too.

Most viruses mutate VERY fast, so you don’t become totally immune to things like the flu. That’s why you need a new flu jab every year. So you don’t get herd immunity to fast mutating viruses as you actually pass on a different virus from the one you got.

I always get my loo rolls from amazon , as we are a big family and I think the boys eat the stuff, that and toothpaste. It takes up so much room in shopping trolley it easier to buy in bulk. Our Sainsbury’s was sold out of loo rolls,pasta,rice and paracetamol. Luckily the wine section had no such shortages. 

• Haha 1

I just popped into Waitrose on the way back form my Friday night meditation practice (that store is on my route) and there were quite a few empty sections in the store, especially soap and loo rolls. I have plenty of the latter in the house, and if we run out I'll just rinse off and towel dry.

I always have cupboards full of raw ingredients as I cook form scratch a lot, so no worry about running out of food. The salad crops under the cloches are doing very well now too. Yesterday morning, I picked my first lot of wild garlic to have with scrambled eggs for brekkers. :)

The village facebook page has just announced that they are no longer booking face to face appointments without a telephone call from the GP first. So now it's a case of calling the surgery, making an appointment for the GP to call you back and discuss the symptoms. Then, if the GP deems a face to face appointment appropriate you get one. We have been asked NOT to go into the surgery without a specific appointment booked in this manner.

4 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

The village facebook page has just announced that they are no longer booking face to face appointments without a telephone call from the GP first. So now it's a case of calling the surgery, making an appointment for the GP to call you back and discuss the symptoms. Then, if the GP deems a face to face appointment appropriate you get one. We have been asked NOT to go into the surgery without a specific appointment booked in this manner.

That's how our surgery was operating a year back - I complained as if they call me back during the day, i am unlikely to see the call coming through as my phone is on silent when I am at work.

Our surgery is the same.  I had to chat on the phone - we had such a laugh - UTI, and I dread to think what everyone thought on her end, I was making her laugh so hard!  So yeah, nice chat and I have antibiotics and some more inhalers - hopefully I'll be ready to cope with whatever is about to hit us.

19 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

I was in B and Q today.  Just by the till, they had an enormous pile of ——— loo rolls!  Anybody desperate try your DIY store... 

Haha  they obviously caught the wave just right with that stock.

A local company which makes hand sanitising gel has had to recruit more security staff as there are people breaking into their plant, stealing stock and then selling online at massive profits. I had to laugh at their ingenuity.

Lol 😂 My husband works at a depot and he says the same. There is so much loo roll. Trucks are rolling in loaded with the stuff and trucks are then delivering it to the stores constantly. I guess less pleasant people are seeing an opportunity to make money out of other people. 

I'm still on to booking agent, I've spent so many hours trying to get somewhere with them but Vector is helping me today. 

IMG_20200314_071120.jpg

IMG_20200314_071046.jpg

IMG_20200314_071029.jpg

• Like 1