Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

I can't fathom out why people here are panic buying loo roll. Apparently when Abe suddenly declared that all schools were going to shut, millions of parents had to suddenly stock up on a fortnight's products all at the same time because japanese people are more inclined to listen to the government. So there was a rush on supermarkets which got reported and then the panic buying started. There isn't a shortage of anything here just greedy customers. If people would just calm the bleep down it would be much better for the rest of us. I've been following the news in japan and there was only one confirmed case on 6th March and most of the country is clear of it altogether so I agree that the news mongers are ramping this up out of all proportion. 

I'm taking some loo rolls to my mum on Tuesday - she doesn't go out when the weather is bad so is running out.  I doubt she'd get any in the shops anyway.  We order ours anyway, but we are expecting a grocery delivery on Tuesday and OH changed the amount of English mustard as he'd picked out the wrong one to a smaller tin.  While he was on he thought he'd just be nosy.  Already no rice and beans but plenty of pasta.  We have decided that people are doing "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here!":lol:  We gave all our rice and pasta to our daughter (at that time number one son was living in a room and hadn't moved to his new flat so storage was a no go area) since OH was diagnosed prediabetic.  We changed to lentils and bulgur wheat which he is allowed in moderation - all before the dodoos hit the fan!  

My daughter is still in contact with the pharmacist where she used to work, apparently people are fighting physically over hand santiser and a woman grabbed her arm and shouted "you are hiding it from us!"  Apparently they have had to ration paracetamol too.

Seeing as little brother is 5 minutes walk away, you'd think he would help her with her bulkier shopping!:evil:  Oh well, I have a mother's day card, will save on postage and a little joy ride out for her too - not to the shops!  

Oh that's hilarious!  

Funnily enough OH found the Indiana Jones boxed set of DVDs in a charity shop the other week - we've been having a binge weekend of him! :lol: I still like the first one best - next the third with Sean Connery.  The other two not so much.

Just heard on the wireless that there are now 4.026 deaths worldwide from corona virus. Whilst I am, of course, really sorry about that and in NO WAY unsympathetic to the families etc, it's such a tiny figure for all the hype, isn't it? Annually 'ordinary' things like pneumonia, flu etc must way exceed this.........and this is why we are all stockpiling food, loo roll etc?! Madness! I do wish that someone in real authority would be brave enough to stand up and say that we really should all get a grip and put this into perspective and try and bring a voice of calm to the frenzy. People just need to be sensible and observe good, basic hygeine rules. Yes, the elderly and those with underlying health problems absolutley do need to take extra care,  but for the vast, vast majority of us it would appear that we may just be in for a few 'coldy' type symptoms, if we get anything at all!

I suppose that, with Brexit and Megxit out of the way there the media has to throw a wobbly about something!

Or am I just being horrible, unsympathetic and grumpy? 

• Thanks 1

I suppose the problem really is the fatality rates Soapdragon. As there is still no cure you are potentially looking at losing over 3% of the world population to it in a very short space of time. The news here said that 80% of people get mild symptoms, so don't really feel that ill but are still contagious. The remaining 20% are sick and 5% need hospital treatment and for over half of those it isn't effective. I suppose you would ordinarily see 2% of the population die every year but now it could be above 5%. We are always very busy here as the place needs a lot of work; either one of us on our own couldn't possibly cope, so this is a worry.

I saw a toilet roll incident on TV here. Looked like a woman had taken the last 6 or 8 jumbo packs off the shelf. Another shopper wanted just one, but 'greedy panic buyer' wouldn't let her have one. I can understand that would upset someone.

4 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Just heard on the wireless that there are now 4.026 deaths worldwide from corona virus. Whilst I am, of course, really sorry about that and in NO WAY unsympathetic to the families etc, it's such a tiny figure for all the hype, isn't it? Annually 'ordinary' things like pneumonia, flu etc must way exceed this.........and this is why we are all stockpiling food, loo roll etc?! Madness! I do wish that someone in real authority would be brave enough to stand up and say that we really should all get a grip and put this into perspective and try and bring a voice of calm to the frenzy. People just need to be sensible and observe good, basic hygeine rules. Yes, the elderly and those with underlying health problems absolutley do need to take extra care,  but for the vast, vast majority of us it would appear that we may just be in for a few 'coldy' type symptoms, if we get anything at all!

I suppose that, with Brexit and Megxit out of the way there the media has to throw a wobbly about something!

Or am I just being horrible, unsympathetic and grumpy? 

I tend to agree - I am getting a bit annoyed about he media hype - whilst we need information, the panic thing is getting out of hand. For instance, my neighbour couldn't get hold of any look rolls when they placed their online grocery order; with 3 small children, I think she needs it!

Having said that................. the strain on the NHS with the extra ill people is on a system which is already unable to cope. The economy will be under strain too as schools close and parents need to take time off work to look after their kiddies; the impact is far-reaching and indirect in quite a few areas. The news feeds are saying that in 2 weeks' time, we will be at the stage that Italy is now - shutdown. Mind you, with our blitz spirit, we will cope... the Brits are at their best under siege mentality.

We just need to apply a bit of commonbleedingsense to the whole thing by avoiding crowds and public transport if possible, just for a couple of weeks.

I have a work trip planned to Dublin in a couple of weeks which has been cancelled.

Booking flights to Hong Kong and Australia for a wedding in July, so far advice hasn’t said not to travel there but watching closely. I think things will disappear as the weather warms up.

11 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Yes, the elderly and those with underlying health problems absolutley do need to take extra care,  but for the vast, vast majority of us it would appear that we may just be in for a few 'coldy' type symptoms, if we get anything at all!

But this is exactly the point... I probably won’t end up in hospital, but will be able to pass it on to someone less fortunate. 

It’s the same with anti-vaxxers. If enough kids get vaccinated, then all will be protected, even those who have no immunity because of medical problems. When healthy people don’t get vaccinated, they put others at risk. Most of us sensible people get this. 

So I do worry. If you look at the number of people ending up in ICU (not even dying), it’s one in 10 right now in Italy. No country’s healthcare system is equipped to deal with such numbers. The only solution is not getting infected in the first place.

2 hours ago, Lewis said:

I have a work trip planned to Dublin in a couple of weeks which has been cancelled.

Booking flights to Hong Kong and Australia for a wedding in July, so far advice hasn’t said not to travel there but watching closely. I think things will disappear as the weather warms up.

We’ve cancelled our Rome trip, but are not (yet) getting our money back, because the travel advice is on “orange” instead of “red”.... 😒

• Like 1

We've decided not to go to Japan. We've only got a couple of days to go and we're still trying to reschedule but I think we're just going to have to lose our money. I'm not worried about the virus for us but because the airlines are going into some kind of tailspin I'm not confident that we would get back and that would cost thousands I suspect. I've always followed my gut instinct and I was starting to feel very uneasy about going despite my determination to get out there. Now I've made the decision to wait I feel quite relieved. I think it's sensible, I don't think I'm making a mistake. 

• Like 3

I think you're being very sensible Jude - had your trip been a couple of months ago, you could well be caught out there. And equally, in a couple of months from now - we could all be through this. Absolutely the right thing to do.

My dad and I are going on our annual holiday together in a couple of months and we are just sitting it out right now - we're insured in case it is cancelled, but still looking forward to it. Realistically, he is 88 now and this may be the last time we are away together.

• Like 2

PL, that's so disappointing for you but, IMHO, you have made the right, responsible decision. As you say, there could be problems with getting back which would be a nightmare and cost even more. Sometimes life is really pants, though.

Did you pay via credit card? Asking as it is sometimes possible to get your money back if you have, though I'm guessing you have explored every avenue, refundwise!

• Like 1